Why Use AOMEI Backupper Disk Restore?
When the hard drive corrupts or damages, we should think about the possibility of recovery disk backup image that contains the operating system, installed software, games, applications as well as personal files.
In general, we need to do disk restore in the following situations:
Your system files have been damaged by a virus or malware and cannot boot normally.
Your current hard drive has failed or is showing signs of failing and you want to replace it.
Your current hard drive is too small and you want to change to a bigger one.
Your data on the hard disk has been lost and you want to recover it.
You want to replace the hard drive with SSD and benefit from new technology.
All these situations are based on one thought: you don't want to reinstall everything. As long as you have a backup image of the hard drive, you can achieve this.
Now, let's start to understand how to restore a disk image. First, Download, install and launch this software.
How to Restore Disks with AOMEI Backupper?
Here are the detailed steps about how to restore disks:
Restore disks under Windows:
1. Ensure the storage device containing the disk backup image is connected to the computer and detected. In the left tab, click Restore and Select the required task. If the image is not detected, click Select Image File to navigate manually to the storage device/folder containing the backup.
2. Select a backup image and click the Next button.
3. Select to restore entire disk or a partition and then click Next.
Note: The destination partition will be overwritten. Please backup files in advance.
5. In the "Operation Summary" page, preview the operation that will be executed. Click Start Restore after confirmation.
For more details with screenshots, see: Disk Recovery with AOMEI Backupper.
Restore disks under WinPE:
If the PC fails to boot or has been crashed, you need to create a WinPE bootable media with AOMEI Backupper and boot your PC into WinPE to run the disk restore.
Please follow the steps below:
( It is mainly used for current system disk backup image so you can boot your system after image restore.)
Then, insert the bootable media into the failed computer and boot from it. ( You may need to change the boot sequence and Boot Mode in the PC's
BIOS (Also referred to as UEFI).
3. When the PC boots up successfully, AOMEI Backupper (already installed on the bootable device) will run automatically allowing you to start the disk recovery just as the the process under Windows.
4. Remove the bootable media and restart your PC after the disk restore is finished successfully. ( You may still need to change the boot sequence and Boot Mode in the PC's BIOS (Also referred to as UEFI).
If you backup the disk in incremental mode, please prepare the full backup and all related incremental images; If you backup the disk in differential mode, please prepare the full backup and the latest differential image; If you just backup the disk once, only the full backup image is required.
If you regularly backup your disks, each backup will generate an image at a given time, so there may be multiple time points to choose from.
The destination disk/partition will be totally overwritten. If the destination contains any important data, it should first be copied to another location.
If any applications are running on the destination partition/disk, AOMEI Backupper will require you to restart the computer and execute the restore operation in "Restart Mode".
When you restore the disk image from a GPT format disk with 5 (or more) partitions to an MBR format disk, it will prompt you that only 3 partitions can be restored. Because MBR disks only support 4 primary partitions, however, AOMEI Backupper can’t convert primary partitions to logical ones automatically. In this case, you can convert the target MBR disk to GPT with Windows Disk Management or AOMEI Partition Assistant and then restore.
If you back up multiple disks to an image file, you may only select one disk to restore at a time.
For Disk Backup, you can select a single partition from the disk image to restore.
By the way, AOMEI Backupper Professional and higher versions support restore backup images to dissimilar hardwares. That is to say, you can restore the disk image taken from one computer to another computer with the help of this software. For detailed steps on dissimilar hardware restore, please turn to OS migration to dissimilar hardware. This software also allows you to restore system images, partition images and file images. Selective file restore can help restore particular files in the image instead of the entire image.