What is System Clone or Migration?
System Clone in AOMEI Backupper is a good feature to clone the entire system partition as well as its all related partitions that are necessary for system running to the destination location with secure boot.
The System Clone function is particularly useful in the following situations:
Replace the old hard drive with a new one for better running speed and performance.
Migrate the operating system to another drive, like migrate OS to SSD.
How to Clone System in AOMEI Backupper?
Firstly, connect the destination drive, SSD or HDD, to your current computer. You may need an external disk enclosure or USB-to-SATA cable. This process will clone the entire operating system including system reserved partition and hidden related partitions to the target drive.
Here are the detailed steps about how to run system clone:
1. Click Clone on the left column then select System Clone.
2. The system related partitions are selected by default. Select the connected SSD or HDD as the destination location to clone your system drive to.
3. If the selected location is a used partition, a window will pop up to prompt that this partition will be deleted or overwritten, click "OK" to continue.
4. There are 2 optional functions within the Operation Summary Window.
Select the "Sector by sector clone" option to copy all sectors of the system partition, which may take more time to complete.
The "SSD Alignment" option can also be selected to optimize the performance if the target is an SSD.
5. There is a feature "Edit Partition". Whether it is available depends on how many source partitions included in the system and system-related partitions.
If there are more than two partitions as the source, the option "Edit Partitions" will be unavailable.
The option "Edit Partitions" is available only when the source has one single system partition (C: drive only).
6. This is a very useful feature allowing to change the target driver letter, partition type, and edit the partition type.
7. Click Start Clone to perform the operation.
For more details with screenshots, see How to do System Clone?
After cloning successfully, shut down the computer, remove the source drive from the computer, install the newly cloned drive then restart the computer. You may need to enter the BIOS/UEFI settings and ensure the newly replaced disk is the first bootable device.
The system partitions do not need to be selected manually as Backupper will select the related system partitions by default.
The destination location cannot be the source disk. Also, make sure the selected drive is large enough to contain the system partitions.
For encrypted system drives, Backupper will use the sector by sector clone method by default.
For systems installed on a dynamic disk, System Clone is only able to clone it to a basic disk.
This software also applies to clone all kinds of HDDs and SSDs, such as, clone HDD to Samsung SSD, replace laptop HDD with SSD, clone NVME SSD, etc.