About re-imaging a PC
To reimage a PC means to delete all the data on the computer hard drive and restore to factory settings. Reimaging is used usually when your operating system (OS) get damaged or corrupted, Windows is unable to load, or you feel it is not running well as it should be. This process of reimaging a computer will fix all these problem caused by software issues. The steps about how to reimage a PC from different manufacturer may vary.
Reimaging a computer using the factory recovery partition will not be available if you have fresh installed Windows or damaged or deleted the recovery partition. Therefore, here will show you how to re-image a computer using Windows installation disc or USB drive.
Backup files before reimaging a computer
As mentioned, reimaging computer will delete all the data on the hard drive, so you may need to back up all the necessary files beforehand. Besides using Windows built in backup tool, it is also recommended to use AOMEI Backupper Standard a freeware to create backups with more options.
To backup files with this free backup software:
1. Free download this software and run it.
2. In the Home interface, Click “Backup” and select “File Backup”. You can also choose System Backup, Disk Backup, or Partition Backup according to what you want to include in the backup.
3. In the next screen, click “Add File” or “Add Folder” to include items in the backup.
4. Then click to decide where you want to save the backup. it allows you to backup to external hard drive, NAS network share, or any folder on your computer hard drive.
5. Click “Start Backup” to backup files or folders.
When the backup is complete, you can also create a bootable rescue media using CD or USB drive in order to restore your computer when it is unbootable. If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed todeploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.
Steps to reimage a PC to repair software issues
After preparing the backup and installation disc or USB drive, which can be created by writing Windows ISO to the removable media, you can get started.
1. Connect the installation media and change boot order to allow your computer to boot from the removable device.
2. After Windows Setup is loaded, press the 'F8' key to accept the Windows license agreement.
3. At the “Where do you want to install Windows” screen, click the hard drive partition that you want to re-image and then click the delete button. You can also press Shift +F10 key combination to use Diskpart to clean hard drive.
4. The hard drive will be shown as unallocated, and then you can click “Next” to start reinstall Windows. You can also create partitions before installing Windows.
How long does it take to reimage a computer? Usually, it will take about half an hour to reimage your computer. After that, you will need to install all the software you like to use and restore your files back to your hard drive. How to reimage a PC without reinstalling programs one by one? Actually, if you create a system backup with AOMEI Backupper, you can restore system and all your installed software back after cleaning up your hard drive using the steps above. Reimaging is sometimes called Windows operating reload or system reinstallation.