Benefits to install Windows 10 to SSD
Nowadays, many users would like to upgrade to Windows 10 on SSD or upgrade their old hard drive and install Windows 10 to SSD because SSD enjoys a good reputation for its better performance. When you install your Operating System on SSD, you can apparently feel that your computer boot faster and multiple installed programs run smoothly at the same time.
How to Install Windows 10 on SSD?
Generally speaking, you have two methods to install Windows 10 on SSD. For anyone who wants to clean install Windows 10 on SSD, you can refer to Method 1 to learn the details. Or if you want to install Windows 10 on SSD from HDD, then Method 2 is the way to go.
Method 1. How to Reinstall Windows 10 on SSD?
A clean install is an Operating System installation which will remove the current Windows Operating System and user files during the installation process.
Besides, all the data on the system hard disk will be wiped out. You can backup Windows 10 to USB drive or another external hard drive in advance. This method requires a CD or USB drive, if you want to install Windows 10 on SSD without CD or USB, you can refer to Method 2 to move Windows 10 to SSD.
If you are in one of the following situations, you can try this method to clean install Windows 10 on SSD.
Get one new SSD to replace the old one and want to install Windows 10 on new SSD.
Want to wipe the SSD and perform a clean installation.
To clean install Windows 10 on SSD, follow the steps below:
1. Create a new and correct installation package for Windows 10. Download Windows 10 Media Creation tool, start it up, then select “Create installation media for another PC” option and follow the wizard to create installation media.
2. Connect installation disk to your computer and install SSD. After creating Windows 10 installation media, shut down your computer and open its case, remove HDD and insert SSD into the drive bay instead.
3. Modify boot order for installation disk. Start your computer and press a specified key (usually F2 or F12) to boot into BIOS, then go to boot option and use "+" to move CD/DVD to the first choice, then press "F10" or “Enter” to exit this window and restart from the installation disk.
4. Click "Install Now" in the initial Windows Setup screen.
5. Type your product key or skip it.
6. Select installation type "Custom" .
7. Select partition on SSD to install Windows and click Next. Wait until the process ends and set preferences as you like.
Note: Whether you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8 or do a clean install on a brand new SSD, you have to buy the product key to activate Windows. If your SSD has installed Windows 10 already, you can skip to next step, Windows 10 will get activated after fresh installation.
Method 2. How to Install Windows 10 on SSD from HDD?
Clean install Windows 10 will erase all your data on the computer. Besides, it is time-consuming and troublesome. If you prefer an easier way to install Windows on SSD without CD or USB drive, you can use a reliable third-party software – AOMEI Backupper Professional.
AOMEI Backupper is an all-in-one Windows disk cloning software, which combines backup, restore and clone features. The system clone feature allows you to migrate only OS from old hard drive to the new SSD without efforts. It can help you migrate Windows 10 to smaller SSD without effort. Besides, cloning from MBR disk to GPT disk is also available.
Preparations for system clone:
Insert your SSD into the drive bay and make sure it can be detected. If there is no extra room inside the laptop to install more disks, you may need a SATA to USB adaptor. If you have neither a second drive bay nor a SATA to USB adaptor, you can use System Backup feature to create a system image, and then restore it to the SSD.
Download and free trial version and see how to install Windows 10 on SSD without CD.
To install Windows 10 on SSD, use the following steps:
1. Click "Clone", then select "System Clone" in the main page.
2. Just select the SSD as the new location, and then click "Next" to continue. Because the program is designed to automatically select source partitions for you.
3. Confirm the operations and click "Start Clone".
You can also tick the "SSD Alignment" option to improve the performance of your SSD.
If you want to install Windows 10 on SSD and everything else on HDD, you can try Disk Clone to make it.
The Technician License of AOMEI Backupper Software allows you to install the software on unlimited PCs within one company.
After the system clone finishes, shut down the computer. And then disconnect the source disk
and connect the destination disk to the socket of the source disk. The source disk could be
plugged into another socket as a secondary storage device.
Altogether, you have these two ways to install Windows on SSD: clean install and system clone. If you want to upgrade from HDD to new SSD, to clone system to SSD with AOMEI Backupper will save you much time and effort. In addition, AOMEI Backupper can keep protecting your data in the feature. It offers System Backup, File Backup, Disk Backup, and File Backup. You can also schedule automatic backup in Windows 10 to ensure your data safe on the time.