Clone my hard drive to a new hard drive
Owing to different reasons, users may want to know how to clone a hard drive in Windows 10. Here is a scenario taken from Microsoft. Do you have similar question?
“Recently, I bought a notebook where genuine Windows 10 is already installed. But the hard drive is just a 1TB HDD and my Windows 10 run rather slower. So, I want to clone hard drive to SSD in Windows 10. And I don’t have any installation disk when it comes with me. Plz help me.”
In this case, the only reason may be that your computer has a hidden recovery partition. You need to copy all the boot related files from this partition and burn it to a CD/DVD. If you don’t have a disc, you can choose to create a recovery drive in Windows 10 or an installation disk. Then, you can use the bootable disk to migrate Windows 10 to new hard drive.
Why clone hard drive in Windows 10?
Speaking of cloning Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit hard drive, users may want to clone Windows 10 to HDD or SSD. It is widely used among desktop PC and Laptop users. But why duplicate hard drive in Windows 10? Here are some common reasons listed in the following.
1. Clone my hard drive in Windows 10 for larger capacity. In general, the original disk preinstalled on your computer will be smaller, probably 500GB. It will run out of space sooner or later. Then, you need to get a larger hard drive and replace HDD to SSD with a reliable disk cloning software.
2. Clone PC hard drive in Windows 10 for better performance. If you receive a low disk space warning message, your computer may run slower and slower. In addition, if you are a game enthusiast, you will need a SSD disk. SSDs can make your computer run faster, accelerate the reading and writing speed, etc. This is why many users are willing to Clone Windows hard drive to SSD.
What is the best free cloning software?
For the best free software to clone hard drive in Windows 10, AOMEI Backupper Standard is worth to mention. It’s a reliable disk cloning software for Windows 10/8/7 and recommended by millions users . With it, you can clone Windows 10 32-bit or 64-bit hard drive free of worry, even from a large disk to a smaller one and without interrupting the running programs.
Before you start to clone hard drive in Windows 10 free, there are something you need to pay attention to.
1. All the data on the target hard drive or SSD will be covered after cloning, therefore you'd better make sure whether there is any important data on the target disk, if there is, please backup files to external hard drive in advance.
2. Unallocated space after cloning disk to larger disk. Sometimes, users will find that the cloned hard drive shows wrong size. That’s to say, your target disk will show the size of the original disk instead of its actual size. To avoid this situation, AOMEI Backupper offers you a feature called Edit partitions.
3. If your disk is a smaller SSD disk, you need to confirm the used space on the original disk. If it’s used space is smaller than SSD disk, you can clone hard drive to smaller SSD in Windows 10. If not, the process will fail finally.
4. To clone Windows 10 to SSD or HDD (OS drive only), you can use System Clone. This feature will save a lot of time and energy without losing installed applications and drivers. And it only available on the paid version, you need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Pro or AOMEI Backupper Server.
5. If the target disk is a dynamic disk, you have to convert dynamic disk to basic disk first, then perform disk copy in Windows 10.
Example: Steps to Clone HDD to SSD in Windows 10
1. Download, install and open AOMEI Backupper Standard. Click Clone on the left interface and then choose Disk Clone.
2. Select the source hard drive you plan to clone (here is Disk0) and then click Next to continue.
3. In the following window, select the target hard drive (it can be an HDD or SSD, here is Disk1) and click Next to go on.
4. Tick SSD Alignment to accelerate the reading and writting speed of the destination SSD. Click Start Clone to execute after confirmation.
"Edit partitions" allows you to resize partitions to use full capacity when cloning a small hard drive to larger hard drive.
"Sector by sector clone" will clone all the space no matter it is used or not and it will take longer time.
- If you do disk copy in Windows 10 with sector by sector, you cannot resize partitions on the destination disk. However, you can resize partitions with AOMEI Partition Assistant after hard drive cloning is completed.
- If you clone a large HDD to a smaller SSD (e.g. 500GB to 250GB), please DO NOT using "Sector by sector clone" and make sure the data on HDD is equal to or smaller than the capacity of SSD.
5. When the progress reaches 100%, please click Finish to exit the interface.
6. (Optional) Disconnect all the disk except for the cloned hard drive and boot from it. If the cloned hard drive won’t boot in Windows 10, the first thing is to go to BIOS and change the boot priority to the cloned disk. Then, try to boot from the cloned hard drive again.
If you use AOMEI Backupper to clone MBR to GPT disk, you need to change Legacy to UEFI, and vice versa. And the system can only be set as source disk.
With wizard-like interface, cloning hard drive in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper Standard becomes easier. You just need to follow the above steps and click the corresponding button. To clone hard drive in Windows Server, please try AOMEI Backupper Server edition.
More so, it’s still a backup and restore software for Windows users. Wit it, you are allowed to create a system backup, files backup, partition backup, disk backup and more. Then, you can learn to restore Windows image to new hard drive with detailed steps.