What portable version means in a backup software?
Portable version means putting all the files required to start a backup software into a folder and you can choose to save it to a removable device, such as USB drive.
Then, when you want to run this portable version of backup software, just insert the removable device into a computer and double-click the .exe file. Afterward, you can use all the practical features on it without installing again.
Why create portable version of backup software?
Backup is a good habit to protect system and data on the computer. It's easy to install a backup program on one or two computers and create backups, but if you want to backup a batch of computers, this will become tough to operate. You need to install the backup software on all the computers before doing any further steps.
With a portable version of backup software, you can easily protect data at any time, even if some of the computers are not in the same location. And you can also use it to deploy system image to different computers without boot errors if you change computer hardware or need to batch installing Windows.
Best portable backup program for Windows OS
AOMEI Backupper is powerful portable backup software. Its Technician edition runs well on Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP while its Technician Plus edition runs well on both PC and Server systems. Following are some highlighted features of this software:
- It allows you to backup system, disk, partition or files with the corresponding backup type.
- You can restore system image to another computer with dissimilar hardware without worrying about boot issues.
- The "Create Portable Version" feature is integrated into this software and you can create portable AOMEI Backupper on any removable devices.
Take the Technician Plus edition as an example. You can download the trial to have a try:
How to create a portable backup tool and use it to create backups
Here I will introduce the detailed steps of creating and using portable backup software.
▶ Create portable version of AOMEI Backupper
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Backupper. Navigate to “Tools” tab and select “Create Portable Version” under “Common Tools”.
Step 2. If you've connected the removable device properly, it will be displayed as the target location by default. You can also click on “Browse” to specify a target location manually, then hit "Start Creating".
Step 3. During the process, you can "Cancel" creating the portable version anytime you like. Once it’s complete, the installation directory and a registration tool will be copied to the selected removable device. Then you can click "Finish" to exit.
▶ Create backups on target computers with portable AOMEI Backupper
Step 1. Connect the removable device to the target computer and run AOMEI Backupper by double-clicking the "Backupper.exe" in the installation path.
Step 2. Then, you will see the main page of AOMEI Backupper. Click "Backup" and select any type of backup you want to use.
>> If you want to protect system and data on it, try "System Backup" or "Disk Backup". The previous one only backup items on the system partition while the latter will also include all data on the non-system partitions.
>> If you want to simply protect data, try "File Backup" or "Partition Backup". The first one only supports backing up files or folders, while the second one allows you to backup entire partition with all the files on it.
Step 3. Select the items you want to backup and destination path to store the backup image.
Step 4. No matter which backup type you choose, you can enjoy the following features during the backup process.
- Options: You can comment on this task, enable email notification or encryption, set pre/post-command, etc.
- Schedule Backup: You can enable daily, weekly, monthly schedule backup or based on a specific event (system startup, system shutdown, etc) or USB drive.
- Backup Scheme: You can set incremental backup or differential backup as backup method. The later one is recommended since it has fewer restrictions for recovery. Also, you can enable automatic backup cleanup methods and delete old backups automatically to free up disk space for new backups.
Step 5. Afterward, click "Start Backup" to protect data with the portable backup program.
- Portable version doesn’t support network path or CD-ROM drive as the target location.
- Portable version cannot run simultaneously with full version of AOMEI Backupper.
- If AOMEI Backupper has been installed on this computer before, there may be problems running the portable version (such as expiration). In this case, you can double-click “Register.exe” in the installation directory, and tap “Register” button to register for the advanced edition correctly. There’s also an “Anti-registration” button allowing you to clear the registration information and make the portable version unregistered.
You can easily create portable version of AOMEI Backupper with the help of its "Create Portable Version" feature and protect data on any target computers with all the available features.
It allows you to create a system/disk image and deploy the image to different computers when you change the computer hardware or want to install Windows for multiple computers.
Besides, it's also portable disk clone software that enables you to clone hard drives on any Windows PC. Don't hesitate to try it out!