Can I clone a small SSD to a larger SSD?
According to the description above, the 1 TB SSD can only show 256 GB and it's full like the old SSD. There are 2 possible reasons for this situation.
- The "Sector by sector clone" feature will clone all the sectors of your old disk, whether used or not, thus the new disk will be exactly the same as the old one after cloning. It is not suggested to select this option when cloning disk from small to large, like 256 GB to 1 TB or 500 GB to 1 TB.
- In fact, the disk space still exists, but it may be a little difficult to find out. Press Win + R to bring out Run box, input diskmgmt.msc and you'll see the complete disk space usage information. Normally, there is a large block of "unallocated space" at the end of the disk. It can be used to create a new partition, or be allocated to other existing partitions by free partition tool.
In sum, to properly and safely clone a small disk to large disk, it is suggested to rely on professional SSD cloning software.
Why move Windows from smaller SSD to larger SSD?
If you have ever use solid state drives (SSD), you may know it has many advantages than hard disk drives (HDD), such as, it's faster, lighter, quieter, cooler and it consumes less power. Thus, many users are willing to install Windows operating system (OS) on an SSD instead of HDD.
After running Windows on SSD for a while, you may notice that the SSD is running out of space for many utilities and applications having permission to write files to your system drive (C: drive). In the past, SSDs has a small capacity and higher price. But, nowadays, SSDs gain more capacity and affordable.
Best free SSD cloning software for Windows 11/10/8/7
Speaking of cloning disk, many users may wonder how to clone SSD to larger SSD free of charge. In this case, you can try free hard drive cloning software AOMEI Backupper which supports all kinds of SSDs perfectly.
Why not give it a shot? Learn how to clone smaller SSD to larger SSD in detail below.
How to safely clone system disk to large SSD
Step 1. Preparation
- Connect the target SSD to your computer properly, and make sure it can be detected.
- Please note the target SSD will be overwritten, so backup important files in advance.
Step 2. Clone SSD with AOMEI Backupper
Below will be an example of cloning 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD on Windows 10.
1. Install and run AOMEI Backupper Standard on your computer.
2. Select “Disk Clone” under Clone tab.
3. Click on the smaller SSD to select it as the source disk, and click on "Next". Then click on the larger SSD to set it as the destination disk, and click “Next”.
4. Check the option “SSD Alignment”, which is important for keeping the SSD at its best performance. Then click “Start Clone” to begin cloning SSD to larger SSD.
- To avoid the unallocated space after cloning, you can click "Edit Partitions" and try the advanced feature "Add unused space to all partitions" or "Manually adjust partition size".
- If you just want to clone C drive to a larger SSD without reinstalling OS, you may upgrade to higher editions and try System Clone to save time and space.
Step 3. Boot from the Large SSD
1. Shut down the computer. Disconnect the old SSD and install the new SSD there (or you can just change boot order).
2. Boot from the target disk, and you may see the familiar operating system. In some cases you may fail to boot up from new disk, please refer to cloned drive won't boot for further solutions.
★ New feature!
AOMEI Backupper is in continuous improvement and optimization, and it released a new feature called Create Portable Version, which allows you to create portable version of this software. It is very convenient to clone disk, backup and restore files, or sync files on different computers without installing. It can be created on USB flash drive and taken anywhere.
Now you know one of the easiest ways of how to clone SSD to another SSD in Windows 11/10/8/7. As an SSD cloning freeware, AOMEI Backupper can be used for all the SSD disks and all Windows computers. Thus, you still can use it to clone Samsung SSD to larger SSD, clone laptop SSD to larger SSD, clone M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD, etc.
Besides the feature to upgrade SSD to larger SSD, AOMEI Backupper has excellent backup and restore features, so users can use it to backup operating system and restore to the new SSD when their computer has only one SSD slot.