Top 2 Ways to Help You Install Windows 11 on a New SSD
This article will show you how to install Windows 11 to another drive. After that, you can enjoy a faster speed and more effective system.
What’s new on Windows 11?
Microsoft officially put out a conference about the Windows 11 system on June 24. In this meeting, Microsoft not only announced the update time of the Windows 11 system and the way to update, but also made improvements to some of the changed features.
1. Interface design and user operation are under a comprehensive change. The start button, taskbar, fonts or icons have been fully optimized and adjusted to give you a better view.
2. New contact information. Whether it is iOS platform, Android platform or Windows platform. Users can communicate with all their contacts through various communication methods, on all platforms and devices in real time.
3. DirectX 12 Ultimate can give players a different gaming experience at a new frame rate. Also DirectStorage enables users to run games faster and more smoothly.
4. The Microsoft Store is fully improved where users can directly apply all kinds of programs, games, movies and TVs. At the same time, you can apply Android applications directly in the system, from now on say goodbye to the computer emulator.
Advantages of installing Windows 11 to SSD
With all the new updates, plenty of users would like to experience the Windows 11 system. But compared with installing the new system on HDD, it is more suggested to install Windows 11 on SSD for the following reasons:
- It can greatly improve the system boot speed, shortening the time from a few minutes to ten seconds.
- It can also speed up the Windows system when it is running, making the whole system faster.
However, installing a system on an SSD can be a time-consuming and laborious task. The following will introduce two methods to install a system to another hard drive.
How to install Windows 11 on a new SSD step by step
There are two methods of how to install Windows 11 on SSD. For those who want to clean install Windows 11 on SSD, you can refer to method 1 for details. For those who want to clone HDD to SSD in Windows 11, then method 2 is your choice.
Method 1. Install Windows 11 on SSD by using Windows installation media
If you run a clean install for operating system, then all your previous version of software installation is eradicated, including all the personal data, files, and applications. So it’s better for you to back up all data beforehand.
To fresh install Windows 11 on a new SSD, follow the steps below:
1. Boot your computer from Windows 11 installation media or a downloaded Windows 11 ISO file.
2. Choose your language and other preferences and click “Next”. Then, click “Install now”.
3. There will pop up a notice asking you to activate Windows, enter your product key or choose “I don't have a product key” if you're reinstalling Windows.
4. Then choose one of the operating system you want to install and click "Next".
5. Select "Custom: Install Windows only (advanced)".
6. Select the SSD where you want to store Windows 11 and click "Next", then wait for the process done.
7. Choose your country, keyboard layout, and other information, then add your account and choose privacy settings. After that, you can run your Windows 11 on SSD.
Method 2. Migrate Windows 11 to SSD by using AOMEI Backupper Professional👍
In case that clean installation will delete all your data on your computer, if you prefer a safer way to install Windows 11 to SSD, you can use reliable third-party software----AOMEI Backupper Professional. It is all-in-one disk cloning software for Windows 7/8/10/11. It offers three clone types to meet the needs of different users.
- Connect the new SSD to your computer and make sure it can be detected.
- Backup files on the new SSD, or you'll lose them after cloning.
- Download and install AOMEI Backupper.
To install Windows 11 on SSD, follow the steps below:
1. Open AOMEI Backupper. Click "Clone" on the left side, then select "System Clone". If you want to clone entire disk, click "Disk Clone" instead.
2. The program is designed to automatically select system partition and boot related partitions for you. Just select the SSD as the new location, and then click "Next" to continue.
3. Confirm the operations, tick "SSD Alignment" to speed up the performance of SSD and click "Start Clone".
4. After cloning Windows 11 successfully, shut down the computer, remove the old drive from the computer, and install the new SSD there. Restart your computer to boot from the new SSD. You may need to enter the BIOS/UEFI settings and ensure the newly installed disk is the first boot device.
This article provides two methods to install Windows 11 to SSD. If you use the second one you will find that the system, along with all the data on the system drives, has been migrated to SSD. There is no need to reinstall the software or copy any data. You don't have to change anything but use your computer like before.
Actually, AOMEI Backupper is not only specialized disk cloning software but also remarkable Windows backup software. You can use it to create bootable backups in Windows 11. Don't hesitate to try it out!