About Synology NAS
Generally, a Synology you buy is a standalone device with a few empty drive bays. It is recommended to install two same hard drives in order to set it up as a network attached storage (NAS) device. Synology NAS has been largely used as the backup center by companies and home users. It supports most of the backup tools that come with Windows and third party backup programs.
Unfortunately, Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2012 is not available to backup to Synology system because Windows Server 2012 does not use Samba 2 installed on Synology system. It will not work if you map the Synology NAS as a network drive. Therefore, the only way to backup Windows Server 2012 to Synology system is with the third party backup program.
Backup Software for Synology
NAS devices are very commonly used as the backup location among many companies. As mentioned, Windows Server 2012 does not work well with Synology, so you need to choose a good backup software for backup Windows Server 2012. If you need a reliable and easy-to-use backup tool, then AOMEI Backupper Server is the one.
With its intuitive interface and design, you can easily configure a backup to NAS, network drive, or other storage devices like CD/DVD, external hard drive, local disk and so on. Besides file backup, it also allows you to create system backup and hard drive backup that allows you to transfer Windows installation and programs to dissimilar hardware machine without reinstalling.
For automatic backup, you can set a schedule to run the backup at a specific time in a day, a week or a monthly, and you can also let the backup run on different occasions like system startup, shutdown, and user log-off or log-in. in order to save disk space and reduce backup running time, AOMEI Backupper also allows you to perform differential backup and incremental backup, which is the default configuration.
How to backup Server 2012 to Synology NAS?
No matter you are using Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 or other versions of Windows Server, you can use AOMEI Backupper Server to backup data to Synology NAS system. It provides a 30-day trail, and you can free download it now to have a try.
To backup to Synology NAS in Windows Server 2012
1. At the Home screen，click “Backup” to begin with. It allows you to choose from system backup, disk backup, partition backup, or file backup. Here “System Backup” is selected as an example.
2. The program will automatically include partitions required for a system restore in the backup, so you can just need to click the marked box to specify the Synology NAS as the destination location.
3. In a pop out window, which is like Windows File Explorer, click “Share/NAS” and click “Add Network Location” at the bottom of the next screen. Then you can enter the path of the NAS to set up the Synology as the backup destination location.
4. If you want to run the backup automatically, just click the “Schedule” option to set a scheduled backup, and click “Options” to see more options like Encryption, Email Notification, etc. After that, click Start Backup to run the backup.
Flexible Settings for You to Backup Windows Server 2012 to Synology
To automatically backup Windows Server 2012 to Synology NAS or other locations, you could enable Schedule option easily backup. And there are six options provided:
1. Daily/Weekly/Monthly: Set the backup running daily, weekly, monthly to backup your Windows Server 2012 automatic just in case you forget to backup.
2. Event Triggers: It enables you to trigger the backup event by the following events: User logon, User logoff, System startup, System shutdown.
3. USB plug in: Once setting up, AOMEI Backupper will automatically back up the data on the USB or backup local data to USB device once the USB device of the task is plugged in.
4. Real-time Sync: This option will help you to backup files immediately after they changed, and make all your backup files stay up to date.
Besides, you could enable Backup Scheme to delete old backup images while exceeding the backup number to maintain to free up space: click Scheme -> Enable Bakcup Scheme, choose a backup scheme and specify the backup number to retain.
There are five options for you: Full Backup Scheme, Incremental Backup Scheme, Differential Backup Scheme, Space Management Scheme, Other Backup Scheme.
As you can see, it is very easy to backup Windows Server 2012 to Synology system with AOMEI Backupper. After the backup is done, you can create a bootable media so you can restore when your Windows Server 2012 not working.