What is User Profile?
A User Profile is a collection of settings and information associated with a user. It contains your personal data, information for system needs, Desktop, Downloads, Documents, etc., system restrictions, app data, and applications, etc.
The system creates a User Profile when the user logs on to the computer for the first time. During subsequent logins, the system loads the user's configuration file, and then other system components configure the user environment according to the information in the configuration file. The settings in the User Profile are unique to each user. Other users cannot access these settings. Changes made to a user’s profile will not affect other users or the profile of other users.
Why need to back up Windows 11 User Profile?
Some users reported that they received a " User Profile Service failed the logon " error message in Windows 11. If you received the error message that your user profile is corrupted. What caused the User Profile corruption in Windows 11?
As you can see, the User Profile contains all your important files and configurations. In order to avoid the occurrence of the above situation or the loss of the User Profile, it is necessary to back up it.
Also, when you buy a new computer or fresh install Windows on a new hard disk drive or solid-state drive, it can take a long time to customize your new Windows 11 computer exactly the way you want. If you have backed up the Use Profile, you can choose to restore the User Profile to save time and effort.
3 quick methods to backup User Profile in Windows 11
As you can see that a User Profile is important for most Windows users. Learn how to backup it in Windows 11 from the respective guide as shown below.
Method 1: Backup Windows 11 User Profile using Windows Backup Utility
Backup User Profile in Windows 11 via Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
Firstly, you can perform Windows 11 backup User Profile using Backup and Restore (Windows 7). It is recommended to back up to an external hard disk, network drive or other offsite location.
- Connect an external hard drive or USB to your PC to save the backup image of the User Profile.
- Click on the Search icon (magnifier) in the center of the taskbar and type Control Panel in the search box. Click on the search result.
- Click on Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Control Panel.
- Click Set up backup on this screen.
- Select the external drive as the location to save the Windows 11 User Profile backup and click Next to continue.
- On the next screen, select Let me choose and click Next.
- Select a specific user library or all created User Profiles you want to back up. If you only want to back up the User Profile, please uncheck the "Include a system image" option and click Next.
- On the next screen, it will provide you with a summary of this backup operation. You can customize the backup frequency by clicking Change schedule. If there is no problem, click Save settings and run backup.
Restore User Profile in Windows 11
- Connect the external hard drive with your User Profile backup to Windows 11.
- Open Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in the Control Panel.
- Click Select another backup to restore files from to select the backup that contains Window 11 User Profile, and click Next.
- Click Browse for folders and select the User Profile folder. Then click Next.
- Select In the original location and click Restore.
Method 2: Backup and Copy User Profile in Windows 11 via advanced system settings
You can copy User Profile in Windows 11 by advanced system settings. The detailed steps are as follows.
- Right-click on This PC, select Properties to enter into the Windows settings menu.
- Click System -> Advanced system settings.
- Click Settings in the User Profiles section.
- Select the Default Profile and click Copy To.
- Click Browse to save the Windows 11 User Profile to the external hard drive you connected and click OK.
Method 3: Best free Windows 11 User Profile backup software
The third method is much easier than the first two methods. You can use the most reliable backup software—AOMEI Backupper to backup User Profile in Windows 11. The software is embedded with many functions to protect your computer. You can use it to:
Learn how to backup User Profile in Windows 11 via AOMEI Backupper from the following tutorial.
Step 1. Download this freeware and install it on your computer.
Step 2. Launch AOMEI Backupper, click Backup and select File Backup.
Step 3. Click Add Folder to select the Windows 11 User Profile folders into the backup. You can select multiple User Profile folders to back up at once.
Step 4. Click the box below the arrow to select the location where you want to save the User Profile.
Step 5. (optional) If you want it to run automatically, click Schedule in the left corner of the interface to configure the frequency or interval. Then click OK.
Step 6. Click Start Backup to run the operation.
That’s all for how to backup User Profile in Windows 11. You can choose one method according to your needs. Since the third method is the simplest and this powerful software can protect your data from all aspects, I strongly recommend you to try it. Try it to backup specific folders in Windows 11 now!