The need to backup user profile Windows 10
The user profile is a record of user-specific data that define the user's working environment. It stores various settings and information related to the user account, such as the display settings, application settings, network connections, etc. Since the user profile has all your important documents and configurations, it’s necessary to make a backup.
◉ On the one hand, when you perform a Windows 10 update, there are chances that some folder will get re-written abnormally. Besides, some unexpected issues like ransomware virus may prevent you from accessing the user profile. Therefore, in any matters, you should have your users’ data backed up.
◉ On the other hand, when you buy a new computer or fresh install Windows on a new hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD). It may take considerable time to customize a new Windows 10 computer to exactly the way you want it. To avoid that, you can choose to backup and restore user profile in Windows 10.
To help you finish the job, we will introduce 3 methods in this post to help you backup user profile in Windows 10/11, and also the approach to copy user profile in Windows 10/11 to another computer/user.
Way 1. Backup user profile Windows 10/11 via Windows backup utility
In Windows 10, you can use the old Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool to backup your data including user profile. It is recommended to backup to network drive, external hard drive or other offsite location. If you want to directly migrate user profile in Windows 10 to another user or computer, please move to method 2.
To backup user profile in Windows 10/11 with Backup and Restore utility:
1. Navigate to Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
2. In the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) window, click Set up backup on the right.
Note: If you’ve already set up a backup schedule, you will see a different window. In that case, click the Options button and choose Change backup settings to make it.
3. Select the location to save the Windows 10 user profile backup and click Next to continue. If you want to backup computer to external hard drive in Windows 10, select the external drive at this step.
4. In the next screen, select Let me choose and click Next.
5. By default, it has selected all the of created users profiles and system drive(s). If you only want to backup user profile, uncheck the option “Include a System Image ”.
6. In the next screen, it will give you a summary of this backup operation. If no issues, click Save settings and run backup.
Restore the user profile in Windows 10/11:
1. Plug in the storage device with the user profile.
2. Go to Control Panel> System and Security> Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
3. Click Select another backup to restore files from > choose the right backup > click Next.
4. Click Browse for folders to select your user profile folder.
5. Finally, choose the location to restore the user profile. Please make sure to tick “In the original location” and click Restore to make it.
Way 2. Copy user profile Windows 10/11 with advanced system properties
Windows provides a built-in tool copy, delete or move a user profile. If you do not need an image file and just want to copy user profile in Windows 10 to another hard drive, to another computer or to another user, you can try this method, which is much simpler.
Steps to copy user profile Windows 10/11 to another computer/user:
1. Right click on This PC and select Properties, and then select Advanced system settings.
2. Click the Settings button under User Profiles.
3. In a popup window, all the user profiles will be listed. You can select any user profile to copy to another location by clicking Copy To.
Way 3. Backup user profile in Windows 10/11 with free backup software
If you want to continuously backup user profile without taking much disk space, you can use free backup software AOMEI Backupper Standard. It allows you to backup Windows 10/11 user profile daily/weekly/daily. In addition, you can also perform incremental and differential backups, get notified by email when a backup is completed, and more.
To backup user profile in Windows 10/11 with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Download and install this free backup software.
2. In the main interface, click Backup and select File Backup.
3. Click Add Folder to include the user profile folders into the backup.
4. Click to specify where you want to save the image backup.
5. Click Schedule to configure fequency or intervals if you want it to run automatically. Under the Advanced tab, you can also specify how the backup to be performed, incremental, differential, or full backup.
6. Click Start Backup and choose a way ("Add the schedule and start backup now" or "Only add the schedule") to run the backup.
After the first full backup, all the continuous scheduled backup will be performed as incremental backups by default to save disk space.
If you want to restore the backup, please go to Home > find the backup task > click more options tab and click Restore to make it.
If you need to move the entire hard drive including the operating system and everything to another hard drive or SSD, you can use its Disk Clone feature. It allows you to clone large disk to smaller disk as well as clone MBR disk to GPT disk.
If you need to move customized system including user data to another computer, you can create a full system backup of the current computer and then restore to your new computer with AOMEI Backupper Professional.
To save storage space, you can also set up a Scheme (supported by Pro edition) to auto delete old backups.
If you want to use this software to backup multiple computers, you can also create a portable version (supported by Tech or Tech plus version) of AOMEI Backupper on removable device, then insert it to any target computer to perform backup and restore without installing.
That’s all for how to backup/copy user profile in Windows 10. You can choose one solution according to your situation.
If you want to backup and restore user profile in Windows 10, please let Windows backup utility to help you.
If you prefer to copy user profile to another computer/user, just go to Advanced System Properties to make it.
If you want a continual backup for the user profile, then AOMEI Backupper is the way to go. In addition, it can also help you transfer any file from one computer to another one.