Why should you migrate user profile?
A user profile is a visual display of personal data associated with a specific user, or the customized desktop environment. The data stored in local user profiles can only be accessed from the current computer.
When you buy a new computer and want to use the original user profile to customize the new one exactly the way you want it, you should find a way to migrate the user profile.
Besides, if you have created a new user account in Windows 10/8/7, and you would like to transfer all your user data or user profile to this new user account.
What’s more, in case of data loss, migrating use profile to a new computer can be used as data backup.
Next, I’d like to introduce several Windows profile migration tools and show you how to migrate user profile with those tools.
Copy user profile from Advanced System Properties
Windows provides a built-in tool, copy, which can be used to delete or move a user profile. You can copy user profile from Advanced System Properties. It is very simple to operate. Follow the steps below and see how to copy user profile.
1. Right click on My Computer and select Properties, and then select “Advanced system settings”.
2. Click the Settings under User Profiles.
3. In a new prompt window, all user profiles will be listed. You can select the user profile you want to move and then copy to another location by clicking “Copy To”.
This way can be tricky sometimes. You may meet Windows 7 user profile copy to grayed out issue. You have to create a new account and change the default profile. It could be troublesome and time-consuming. If this way fails you, you can try to use Windows built-in backup and restore tool.
Migrate user profile with Windows Backup and Restore tool
To migrate user profile, you need to backup it first and then restore it to new computer.
Backup user profile with Windows Backup and Restore
1. Click on Start and then navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup > Go to Backup and Restore to open it.
2. In the Backup and Restore window, click “Set up backup” on the right. At next Window, select the location to save the image backup and click “Next” to continue. It is recommended to backup to USB drive.
3. In the next screen, select “Let me choose” and click “Next”. Locate to the user profile that you want to backup.
4. In the next screen, it will give you a summary of this backup operation. If no issues, click Save settings and run backup.
Restore user profile with the backup
To migrate user profile to a new computer, you can copy the backup to the new computer and restore it within Windows.
1. Navigate to Settings>Update & Security>Backup > Go to Backup and Restore to open it. Choose Restore my files.
2. Click Browse for folders, and choose the image backup you created just now. Then click Next.
3. Choose a location to restore your files and click Restore.
Windows Backup and Restore tool has some requirements with the USB drive you store the backup image. The capacity should be more than 64GB. If not, you will receive an error message, which reads: the drive is not a valid backup location. Also, the drive should be NTFS formatted.
Migrate user profile to new computer with AOMEI Backupper
To have more advanced and flexible option, you can backup user profile and restore to new computer with third party software.
User profile backup and restore tool
AOMEI Backupper is a professional user profile backup tool. With File Backup and File Restore feature, you can easily and quickly backup user profile and restore to a new computer. If you want to backup files to USB drive, you will not worry the error message: the drive is not a valid backup location. Also, it supports File System including FAT, EXT, NTFS, etc. One of the best parts of this software is that you can include and exclude certain file extension with Filter settings feature.
Backup user profile via AOMEI Backupper
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper and open the software. At the main interface, click File Backup under Backup tab.
Step 2. At Step1, click Add Folder and then click browse and select the user profile you want to backup.
Step 3. Then click Filter settings, from here, you can select which file extension you want to keep and which you want to abandon. Then click OK to go back to the interface of File Backup.
Step 4. At Step2, select another location as destination path. It is suggested to backup to USB drive.
Tips: Under Step2, here are Backup Option, Schedule and Scheme that you can click to have more advanced settings.
Step 5. Click Start Backup after all this done.
Tips: If you want to migrate the whole disk to new computer, you can use disk backup or disk clone feature.
Migrate user profile to the new computer
After creating the image backup, then you can connect the USB to the new computer and restore the user profile from USB drive.
Step 1. At the main interface, click Restore.
Step 2. Click Path to select the image backup from the USB and click Next.
Step 3. Select a backup time point to restore and click next.
Step 4. Select a destination for the partition image that you wish to restore and click Next. Then click Start Restore.
All in all, there are altogether 3 methods that you can migrate user profile to new computer, you can choose one base on your preference.