Need to sync folders between drives in Windows
There are some situations that you need to perform file or folder synchronization between different data locations. One of the most common ones is sync files to external hard drive to keep data safe. Surely, some users want to sync files to Cloud drives or sync external drive to Cloud to protect data or share files with others. No matter choosing which method, the purpose is to ensure data safe. Then, how do you sync files and folders in Windows 10/7 in simple and secure way?
Windows sync files between folders using SyncToy
SyncToy is a free sync tool that is designed by Microsoft. It helps you sync files and folders between different data locations or devices. SyncToy is a good tool for less experienced computer users due to its graphical user interface. Let’s get to know how to make Windows 10 sync folders between drives with this free tool.
1. Download and install SyncToy as instructed. Launch it.
2. Click on Create New Folder Pair beneath.
3. Choose the folders you want to sync, the Left Folder for the source folder and the Right Folder for the destination folder. Click Browse to select.
4. Select sync mode in “What do you want to do?” step. Here are three options available, Synchronize, Echo and Contribute. Get to know them and choose the right one for yourself. For your information, Echo is the most common used one.
5. Now, name the folder pair to distinguish. Click Finish to exit the wizard and you’ve done.
• You can rename and delete existing folder pair.
• You can create another new folder pair by repeating above steps if the need ever arises.
• You can schedule SyncToy in Windows 10 or Windows 7 with the help of Task Scheduler.
It is very easy to keep Windows sync folders between different drives or on the same drive. Nevertheless, you need to turn to other sync tools in some cases.
For example, you find SyncToy not copying all files or not syncing subfolders during the process. Or, you want to perform a real-time sync task, not just regular sync mode in Task Scheduler. Further, if you want to sync more than one folder to the same place, you need to create more than one folder pair. Fortunately, you can remedy those regrets in another way.
How to sync two folders in Windows 10/8/7 in easier way?
AOMEI Backupper Standard is free backup & restore tool that embeds with powerful File Sync feature. The feature allows you to synchronize files and folders from one drive to another drive, even on different disks. You have choices to sync files to external hard drive in Windows 10 or Windows 7 with Daily, Weekly, Monthly modes. The Event-trigger and Real-time modes are also available in Professional editions.
In addition, you can sync folders to Cloud drives (see: sync local folder to OneDrive), NAS and network share folders with the help of this software. You may want to give it a shot.
1. Free download and install AOMEI Backupper. Start it to get in the main console.
2. Click Backup and then File Sync at the bottom.
3. Click on Add Folder to add folder (i.e. the Left Folder in SyncToy). All subfolders will be synced by default.
4. Click the space next to to add the folder (i.e. the Right Folder) in destination drive. Or, click the triangle at the end to add network locations.
5. Click Schedule to set Daily, Weekly, or Monthly mode.
6. Click Start Sync to sync files right now or the next schedule time.
• Click Options to set email notification if you want to.
• You are allowed to manage all sync tasks in Home tab.
• AOMEI Backupper supports one-way sync only currently.
• It is not allowed to sync files or folders to CD/DVD/Blue-Ray.
• To sync files to network location in real-time mode, please upgrade to Professional edition.
Two easy ways are provided to make Windows sync folders between drives in Windows 10 and Windows 7. Syncing files to external hard drive can be achieved easily as well. AOMEI Backupper also allows you to backup laptop to Cloud in simple and secure way.