The case: need software to sync folders on USB thumb drive
A USB flash drive, also known as a USB stick, USB thumb drive or pen drive, is the most frequently-used portable storage device. We not only use it to store important files or data backups but also use it to create Windows Recovery Environment USB for system repair.
It is quite common to sync files between computer and flash drive. Here is a real case from the forum:
“Hi, I carry a USB drive that contains the data I use for work. When I get to work, I plug in the USB and work from the folders on it. Then, when I get home I copy the contents to my PC as a backup.
Is there software available that will sync the contents of the USB drive to my PC on demand?”
Although you can transfer files between computer and flash drive through copy and paste, it is a tedious work to copy files manually each time they get changed. What you need is specialized USB flash drive sync software to help you sync files automatically.
Best USB drive sync software for Windows
AOMEI Backupper Professional, the best file sync software for Windows 10/8/7, is such a tool you can rely on. With the File Sync feature, you can synchronize files from PC to USB drives, SD cards, network-shared folders, NAS devices, etc, and vice versa.
Using the Schedule feature, you can set a file sync task to run at fixed intervals. There are six schedule modes you can choose from: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers, USB plug in, and Real-time sync. As for USB drive sync, you can use “USB plug in”, which means the program will run the task automatically once it detects the USB drive is connected. Learn how to use AOMEI Backupper to auto sync files from a USB drive to PC when the drive is plugged in below.
How to auto sync a USB drive when plugged in?
Before you create an automatic task for the USB drive, it is recommended to permanently assign drive letter for the USB. Thus, the program can easily recognize your USB drive every time you connect it to the same computer. Now follow the instructions below to auto sync files from a USB drive to PC when plugged in:
1. Connect the USB flash drive to your computer and make sure it is detected. Assign a drive letter to it.
2. Install and run AOMEI Backupper. Click Backup on the left pane and select File Sync.
3. Name the task so that you can distinguish it from other sync tasks. Click Add Folder to select the folder/folders on the USB drive that you want to sync.
4. Click the folder shaped button in the second column to select a local disk as the destination path.
5. Click Schedule in the bottom. In the pop-up window, select USB plug in from the drop-down list. You can choose to run the task one time every day or not and click OK.
6. Click on Start Sync button to perform the operation. After the operation is finished, safely disconnect your USB drive.
Options: you can write a comment for your sync task so that you can figure out the specific sync contents; you can also enable email notification here.
Don’t modify the source folder name after doing file sync, or the program cannot synchronize it anymore.
AOMEI Backupper currently only supports one-way sync from the source folder to the destination folder. If you want to auto copy files from PC to USB, just create another sync task.
This page offers you the best USB drive sync software for Windows—AOMEI Backupper. It can automatically sync files from/to a USB drive once it detects the drive is plugged in. Other than the File Sync feature, AOMEI Backupper is capable of backing up and restoring system, disks or partitions. You can use it to backup Windows 10 to USB drives or backup multiple drives at once. Go for AOMEI Backupper right now!