The case: need to backup multiple drives in Windows 10
“I want to back up my main drive, and two internal drives, in full, to my USB HDD. File History appears to allow me to add the internal drives as folders, but does not seem to back them up. Can File History only backup one drive or am I missing something?”
For most users, there are multiple drives on their computer. Some users have one drive for system and one drive for data. Some users have one drive for system, one drive for work files and one drive for entertainment applications. And there are many other situations.
To protect the operating system, you may backup C drive. With a system image at hand, you can easily recover your computer in the event of system issues, such as Windows 10 update KB5001649 issue.
How about to protect data on all internal drives? It would be time-consuming to backup the drives one by one. Does Windows 10 have a backup program to backup multiple drives at once? Read on to get two backup tools you can use in Windows 10.
How to backup multiple drives at once efficiently?
I’ll show you how to backup multiple drives in Windows 10 with two free backup utilities below:
Method 1: Backup multiple drives with AOMEI Backupuper
AOMEI Backupper Standard, the best free backup software for Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP, offers you all-around backup solutions.
There are four types of backup available: System Backup, Disk Backup, Partition Backup, and File Backup. You can choose one backup type that best meets your need.
You are allowed to backup to various backup destinations, such as backup files to an external hard drive, a USB flash drive, and a Synology NAS, etc.
If you want to set an automatic backup, you can enable “Schedule” in AOMEI Backupper.
In the coming part, I’ll show you how to backup a disk with multiple partitions simultaneously with the Disk Backup feature and how to backup drives from different disks using Partition Backup separately:
★ Backup multiple drives on one hard disk
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Select “Backup” and then select “Disk Backup”.
2. You may name this backup task using the “Task Name” field. Then, click “Add Disk”.
3. In the popup window, select the disk which contains all the drives you want to backup and click “Add”.
4. Select a destination path to store the backup image. It is recommended to backup to an external hard drive or network location, so the image file won’t be affected by system errors.
5. Click “Start Backup” to begin the backup process.
★ Backup several drives from different disks
1. Run AOMEI Backupper. Select “Backup” and then select “Partition Backup”.
2. Name the task to distinguish it from other backup tasks using the “Task Name” field. Then, click “Add Partition or Volume”.
3. Click on the drives you want to backup and click “Add”.
4. Select a destination path to store the backup image.
5. Click “Start Backup” and wait for the process to be done.
Method 2: Backup multiple drives with Backup and Restore
Windows 10 has inherited the Backup and Restore tool from Windows 7. Follow the guidance below to let Windows 10 backup multiple drives at once:
1. Click the Start button and navigate to Settings > Update & Security > Backup > Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
2. In the popup window, click Set up backup.
3. Select a backup location to store the backup files and click Next.
4. Select Let me choose to create a custom backup and click Next.
5. Select the drives that you want to backup and click Next.
6. The backup task is automatically scheduled to run “Every Sunday at 7:00 PM”. You can click on “Change Schedule” to change the schedule time or turn off the schedule. Click on Save settings and run backup after you confirm all your settings.
Both AOMEI Backupper and Backup and Restore can let Windows 10 backup multiple drives at once. You can also use them to make Windows 7 backup multiple drives simultaneously. Compared with Backup and Restore, AOMEI Backupper offers you different backup types for different demands—“Disk Backup” to backup an entire disk which contains multiple drives and “Partition Backup” to backup multiple drives from different disks.
What’s more, AOMEI Backupper owns the clone feature which makes it wonderful hard drive transfer software. Don’t hesitate to go for this tool!