A case: what is the best free file sync software?
“Hi, I have a laptop with about 400GB of files - pictures, docs, project files, etc. I wish to copy these files to an external hard drive which is 1TB in size.
However, I want the copy to be such that if I make any changes to my files on the laptop, these changes are synced to the external HDD. If I add or remove or move files, the same needs to be reflected on the external HDD. Is it possible? What is the best free file sync software? Any kindly advice will be appreciated.”
Why need auto sync to external hard drive?
Sync, shorted for synchronization, can keep files in multiple locations up-to-date. That is to say, when you sync files to external hard drive, you can keep files on the external hard drive the same as files in your computer no matter they are newly created or else. In this way, you don’t need to update on both sides every time while keeping an up-to-date copy on external hard drive.
Besides, syncing files to external hard drive can ensure the security of your data to some extent. If you only have one copy of files on the computer, your data may lose owing to computer issues, such as, system crash, disk failure, virus attack, etc.
Best free file sync software: AOMEI Backupper Standard
If you are looking for the best free file sync software, you could consider using AOMEI Backupper Standard. It’s completely free and supports auto sync files to external hard drive without any obstacle. And this software has a clear interface and user-friendly design so that users can understand all the steps easily and quickly.
In addition, AOMEI Backupper still has some extra features you may need:
Auto Sync: This software has a feature called Schedule, which allows you to automatically sync files to external hard drive on a regular basis, such as, daily, weekly, and monthly.
Fast Synchronization: This feature is used to create a file index and only sync changed files in the source to help you save sync time. If you uncheck this feature, it will verify each file in the source and target folders to finish the sync process.
Email notification: If you want to get final result without waiting until the sync task 100% completes, you can make use of this feature.
How to run automatic sync to external hard drive with free AOMEI Backupper?
First, connect the external hard drive to your computer. Then, follow the steps below to automatically sync files to external hard drive via AOMEI Backupper.
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper Standard
2. Select “File Sync” under “Backup” tab.
3. In this window, click “Add Folder” to select the folder(s) on your computer needing sync. Then select a folder on external hard drive as destination location.
4. Set a schedule to auto sync to external hard drive. Click “Schedule”, select daily, weekly, or monthly in the pop-out window and click "OK" to exit.
5. Finally, click “Start Sync” > “Add the schedule and start sync now” to begin the process.
• If you set to run the task at a specified time in a day/week/month, you should plug in your external hard drive before the task starts. If you wish to do event-trigger or real-time sync (supported by AOMEI Backupper Profeesional), you should always connect your external hard drive with computer.
• If your target drive is a USB flash drive, you could consider using the “USB plug in” schedule mode (supported by paid versions). This feature will automatically sync files between computer and flash drive the next time you connect the drive to your computer.
• Beside sync, you still can use AOMEI Backupper to backup files, system, disk and partition as you like.
Written in the end
AOMEI Backupper is the best free file sync software that allows you to auto sync files to external hard drive. It supports all Windows editions including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10, both 32bit and 64bit. In addition, its extra features, such as schedule sync and fast synchronization, can help you continuously protect your files and reduce sync time.
If you still don’t have a copy of backup, just download AOMEI Backupper Standard and create a file backup with it.