How to sync my local folder with Google Drive?
“Hi there. I don’t want to manually back up (copy & paste) all my files to the Google Drive on Windows 10 desktop PC. It’s a method I've used in the past and very tedious. Is there a way to sync multiple folders to Google Drive. Is it possible to access the backed up files from multiple computers, even when out-and-about. Thank you!”
Yes, you can use Backup and Sync, which is provided by Google. It’s used by many users in worldwide. Also, you still can consider a free and reliable file and folder sync software like AOMEI Backupper Stanndard.
Why sync local folder to Google Drive?
On the market, you can find many storage device, such as, external hard drive, USB flash drive, SD card, NAS, cloud drive like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. Why you use Google Drive instead of other storage devices?
Compared with other storage devices, Google cloud drive has a clear advantage: it can be accessed as long as there is an internet connection. Besides, you do not need to worry about you will lose it by accident. Also, you are not afraid that it will be corrupted owing to system crash, virus infection, fire, etc.
How to sync local folder to Google Drive?
Method 1: Sync local folder with Google Drive using Backup and Sync
About Google Drive Backup and Sync
Backup and Sync is integrates Google Drive and Google Photos Uploader, which can help you sync files, folders, photos, videos, and more.
Backkup and Sync is divided into 2 sections, including My Computer and Google Drive. Under My Computer, you can sync any folder to Google Drive and upload photos and videos you like.
Under Google Drive, you can sync folders in My Drive to the local computer. After syncing, you can see the synced folder when offline. But Google Docs files (Sheet, Docs, and Slide) are only online, you cannot see it without internet connection unless you create a shortcut on the local computer.
Detailed steps to synchronize local folder with Google Drive
Step 1. Download Google Drive Backup and Sync and sign in with your Google Drive account, and then start the first sync.
Step 2. Uncheck the default folders under My Computer and tag on CHOOSE FOLDER to mount the specified folder on the localcomputer and then click Next to continue.
If you already have Google Drive and finish the first sync, you can click Google Backup and Sync icon on the taskbar, tap on Settings and then select Preferences options.
• By default, Backup and Sync will back up files and folders with all kinds of file extension. If you just want to backup files with certain file extension, you can click Change at the right side, click Advanced settings, and then type the file extension you want to ignore and click Add.
• If you want to backup photos and videos, you can click Change at the right side and tick Back up photos and videos. Also, you can specify upload size for your photo and video. High Quality will reduce the file size without changing its visual quality and it does not take up space on My Drive. Original quality will limit the size of photos and videos you can upload.
• If you want to upload photos and videos to Google Photos, you can tick Upload photos and videos to Google Photos.
Step 3. Tick the options you like under Google Drive and click Start. Sync My Drive to this computer is selected by default. You just need to tick sync everything or only certain folders.
• If you just want to use it as a backup tool, you can uncheck Sync My Drive to this computer.
• If you want to save Google Drive folder to another location, you can click Change and select a path on the local computer.
• During the sync process, you still can pause and resume the operation. To pause the operation, you can click Backup and Sync icon on the taskbar, and then select Settings > Pause. To resume the operation, you can click Backup and Sync icon > Settings > Resume.
Step 4. After the first sync operation, by default, all the local folders will be synced to My Computer. You need to check if all the folders are synced successfully. At the same time, you will have a Google Drive folder on the local computer.
After you run the first sync, you can see extra options called Removing items and Use Devices & SD cards.The first option gives you a chance to set how to delete files, including Remove items everywhere, Don’t remove items everywhere, Ask me before removing items everywhere. The latter allows you to backup SD card to Google Drive. You can choose to backup files, folders, photos, videos and more.
If you want to do Google Drive sync with multiple computers, you can download Backup and Sync on all of your computers and follow the steps above. Please remember to tick Sync My Drive to this computer. If you want to keep the changed files or folders in real-time, you need to click Select Folder and sync it to cloud drive.
Method 2: Sync local folder to Google Drive via Google Drive folder
If you tick sync My Drive to this computer, you still can use Google Drive Folder to sync local folder to Google Drive. After syncing, all folders will be saved to My Drive and you can check if your folders are synced successfully.
Step 1.Double-click Google Backup and Sync on your desktop, and then you will access Google Drive Folder.
Step 2. Right-click the folder you want to backup, and then copy and paste it to the specified Google Drive folder. After that, all folders will be synced automatically.
Step 3. Check if all the folders are synced to My Drive.
Method 3: Auto sync local folder to Google Drive with AOMEI Backupper
Free and reliable sync software: AOMEI Backkupper
AOMEI Backupper is free file sync software, which deserves to be mentioned. This software can help you synchronize local folder with Google Drive in simple ways. It’s very easy to use, even for a beginner.
You can email notification and get whether the operation is finished successfully or not. Also, you can sync files at daily, weekly, monthly, event-trigger. What's more, you can sync folder in real-time, which will monitor the files on the source folders and sync the changed part to destination path if you change files on the source folders.
Besides the free version, AOMEI Backupper still provide paid version for users who want more advanced features and use different operating system, including AOMEI Backupper Professional, AOMEI Backupper Server, AOMEI Backupper Tech, etc. And the paid version has more advanced features, such as, syncing files to cloud drive in real-time, Universal Restore, migrating OS to SSD, and so on.
Specific instruction to sync local folder with Google Drive
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper, install and launch it.
Step 2. Click Sync and Basic Sync subsequently
Step 3. Click Add Folder to select folders.
Note: There is a feature called Filter settings in funnel shape at the right side of the selected folders, which allows you to sync files with certain file extensions. But it’s only available in the paid-version. You need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
Step 4. Click the drop-down menu, tag on Select a cloud drive, choose Google Drive in the next windows and click OK to exit this window. Then, click Start Sync.
• If you want to sync local folder to Dropbox or OneDrive, you can select the alternative path in Step 4.
• Except for syncing local files or folders, you can still use this software to backup SD card, external hard drive, etc.
Google Drive not syncing on Windows 10/8/7 – how to Fix?
When you use Google Drive Backup and sync on Windows 10/8/7, you may receive the following error message.
An unknown error has occurred.
The file on your computer is missing.
Syncing is stuck.
Unable to complete sync.
Backup and Sync quits unexpectedly.
This file is a link to an online Google document. It cannot be changed.
Don’t worry about it. You can try the following methods and see if it works.
1. Restart Backup and Sync. You can click Backup and Sync icon at the taskbar, tag on Settings and Quit Backup and Sync, and then open Google Drive Backup and Sync again.
2. Disconnect and reconnect account.You can click Backup and Sync icon > Error – Google Drive folder is missing > Disconnect account. After that, you need to sign in again.
3. Reinstall Backup and Sync.You can download Backup and Sync from website again and click Yes when you are asked to replace the existing version during installation.
4. Restart your computer.
The way forward
When it comes to syncing local folder to Google Drive, you may think about the Google Drive Backup and Sync, Google Drive folder on the local computer. It’s very useful.However, you are not allowed to transfer Google Docs files to local computer without creating a shortcut.
Also, you can use free and reliable sync software AOMEI Backupper. Like Google Drive Backup and Sync as well as Google Drive folder, it can help you sync local folder with Google Drive. And all steps are very easy, you just need to click the corresponding button.
Besides file and folder sync, it’s a backup and restore software, which can be used to protect your computer. When your system crash, you can only restore system image or disk image with backup and restore software instead of Backup and Sync.