Sync Files to Google Drive in Windows Server 2008 or Similar Storage
You can easily perform Google Drive Sync in Windows Server 2008 whether your computer has this app installed previously or not.
Sync files to Google Drive or similar storage in Windows Server 2008:
Google Drive Windows Server 2008 Has Been Discontinued
Google Drive is one of the most popular cloud storage, so many users are willing to sync files with it, sync local folder to Google Drive, for example. But the problem is Google Drive has been disconnected in Windows Server 2008 since May 12, 2018.
From its help document, you can see the supported operating system is Windows Server 2012 and up. So in general you can choose to upgrade from Windows Server 2008 to Windows Server 2012 or other newer systems. For detailed steps, please refer to the page: Windows Server in-place upgrade vs clean install. Or sync files to other cloud storage like OneDrive.
However, if you have Google Drive installed on Windows Server 2008, you can continue using it to sync files automatically. No matter what is your situation, this article helps you. Please read on to learn more about it!
Sync files with Google Backup and Sync in Windows Server 2008
If you have Google Backup and Sync installed on Windows Server 2008 before it disconnects, you still can sync files or folders with it. Please follow the steps below carefully.
1. Open Google Backup and Sync and click Get Started in the welcome page.
2. Type your Google account and password to sign in when you are asked.
3. Click "GOT IT" when you are asked to choose folder from your computer.
4. It will switch to the My Computer tab automatically. Click CHOOSE FOLDER under it and select any folder you want to backup. And then, click Next.
Note: By default, Backup and Sync will back up files and folders with all kinds of file extension. If you just want to backup or sync files with a certain file extension, you can click "Change" at the right side of CHOOSE FOLDER to exclude the file extension you don’t need.
5. Similarly, you will be asked to sync files from My Drive to local computer, click "GOT IT". And then, in the Google Drive tab, select "Sync My Drive to this computer" and decide to sync everything or only these folders. Afterward, click "Start" to backup or sync files with Google Backup and Sync.
✔ If you only want to sync local folder to Google Drive, you can uncheck “Sync My Drive to this computer”.
✔ If you want to change the location of Google Drive folder, just click Change to select a different location.
✔ You can pause or resume the operation at any time. The detailed steps: click Backup and Sync icon > Settings > Pause or Resume.
After syncing, the Google Drive folder and folders in it will be kept in your local computer. Also, the local folder in the Google Drive folder will be synced to cloud storage. And you can go to the webpage and then "Computer" > "My Computer" to check if all the folders are synced successfully.
Sometimes, you may find Google Drive not sync all files or other issues, such as, “an unknown error has occurred”, “connection failure”, “unable to complete sync”, etc. Worse, if your computer does not have Google Drive installed on it, you cannot sync files with it, since it is disconnected since May 12, 2018. So you can choose to sync files to other cloud storage and I'll introduce you to an easier way in the next part.
Easier Way to Sync Files to Google Drive or Similar Storage in Windows Server 2008
If you are in the above situations, syncing files with Google Drive or similar storage using a professional file sync software AOMEI Backupper Server is a great choice. It supports 4 sync solutions and all the server operating systems, ranging from Windows Server 2003 to 2022. So you can use it to sync files with Google Drive easily. Also, it supports other cloud storages like OneDrive or Dropbox.
- Basically, Google Drive performs two-way sync, and this software also helps you. To run this sync task smoothly, you need to set a schedule sync setting for it, such as, daily, weekly, monthly, event triggers, and USB plug in. And the previous three options are the most suitable choices in this case. It even allows you to sync files hourly in a day.
- Flexibly, you can choose to create one-way file sync with other sync methods. The most basic one is Basic Sync, which syncs files from the source folder to the destination folder and supports all the scheduled settings. To sync files less than hourly, try Real-Time Sync, you don't even need to set up scheduled settings. To prevent any wanted changes or newly added files in the destination, try Mirror Sync.
To sync files with Google Drive or similar storage, please download AOMEI Backupper Server and enjoy the Two-Way Sync feature. To sync files on multiple computers without installing this software again, try AOMEI Backupper Technician or TechPlus and create a portable version of it.
Here I will take Two-Way Sync as an example, in case you want to simulate google drive sync method. Also, you can use other sync methods in this software.
1. Launch this software, click "Sync" and "Two-Way Sync" subsequently.
2. Click "Add Folder" to select local folders on your computer.
Tip: If you want to sync files with only certain file extension, you can click the funnel button (we call it Filter settings) and type file extensions you want to exclude or include, such as, such as,*.doc;*.xls;*.ppt.*.temp;*.tmp;*.bak;*~*. *temp;temp*.
3. Click the inverted triangle icon and then choose "Select a cloud drive".
4. Then, in the Select Cloud window, choose "Google Drive" and click "OK".
Note: All the cloud drives installed on your computer will be recognized and listed in the above picture. So if you want to sync files to other clouds, such as, sync Windows Server with OneDrive, just be sure it's installed and click the corresponding cloud drives as instead.
5. Click "Schedule Sync" and enable it, you can then select Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event triggers or USB plug in. Afterward, click "Start Sync" to sync files to Google Drive or similar storage.
👍 Safer method to protec your files:
Except for sync method, you can also use its backup methods to backup files, which will compress all the data into an image file. And it supports all the schedule settings similar to sync methods.
If you have an AOMEI account, you are able to backup files to AOMEI Cloud using the Cloud Backup feature. It offers you 1TB free storage for 15 days after you sign up for an AOMEI account.
Not only that, it helps you to minimize disk space by multiple features, such as, normal compression, automatic splitting, incremental or differential backup, automatic backup cleanup, etc, some of which you don't even need to configure it.
Among them, the last one is the most effective method, which breaks the rule of only increasing and not decreasing and will directly delete old backups automatically.
In the End
You still can Google Backup and Sync to perform Google Drive Sync in Windows Server 2008 if it's installed on your computer. If not, you can choose to upgrade the Windows Server 2008 or sync files to other cloud drives, sync local folder to Dropbox, for example.
Whether you want to sync files to any cloud storage, AOMEI Backupper Server can help you. It provides you with different sync methods, you can choose a sync method like Google Drive or the one you prefer. And it allows you to run it automatically without human intervention, you can sync files from hourly to monthly or use event triggers and USB plug in.