Xbox One S Overview
Xbox One S is the redesigned model of home video game console, released in August 2016. It supports 4K video playback and HDR10, and has a smaller size than ever, internal power supply and up to 2TB of internal storage, including 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB. Xbox One S is the most advanced game console and attracts many game enthusiasts.
However, there is a common question many users will meet. That is, the hard drive on Xbox One S will fill up quickly since the applications and games installed. Then, you may wander how to free up space on Xbox One S while the low hard disk space warning appearing.
As for general users, they will choose to remove unused applications and videos to free up space, but it’s not the ideal way. And your disk will run out of space in a short time. For professional users, you may find the best larger hard drive for Xbox One S and do Xbox One S drive upgrade. It’s very useful and sagacious.
Preparations for Xbox One S Internal Hard Drive Upgrade
Before Xbox One S drive replacement, you should get ready for these things below:
- Select a larger HDD or SSD drive right for Xbox One S drive upgrade.
- Get some extracting tools for remove and install hard drive for Xbox One S.
- Format the HDD or SSD drive in Windows computer for Xbox One S console with a professional disk manager software.
- Download best free disk cloning software to upgrade Xbox One S drive to SSD/HDD easily.
How to Replace Hard Drive for Xbox One S?
In order to upgrade Xbox One S drive without losing data, you have to connect an extra HDD or SSD to Xbox S and clone all the data from that drive to SSD/HDD, then learn to upgrade Xbox One S hard drive. How to upgrade Xbox One S internal hard drive to SSD/HDD in Windows 7/8/10? Using the best disk cloning software-AOMEI Backupper Standard, this software has a perfect performance for replacing Xbox One S hard drive.
Before you start the work, make sure that the larger HDD or SSD drive is recognized by your Windows PC. Open AOMEI Backupper Standard to its main home window and then start to do Xbox One S drive upgrade
1. Select Disk Clone at the right side of the Clone tab.
2. Choose Xbox One S internal hard drive to clone.
3. Select the larger HDD or SSD as target disk to store data from Xbox One S internal hard drive. Please backup the important data on destination disk first in case of data loss, because all the data will be wiped out after the cloning.
4. Press Start Clone to upgrade Xbox One S hard drive.
You need to opt for “Edit Partitions” if your destination disk is larger than the original one. In general, there will be an unallocated space after cloning hard drive to larger drive. To work it out, you need to adjust the partition size via this option.
You could tick "Sector by sector clone" if the target disk is the same as the source disk. If not, you’d better not the tick this option. If you check it, “Edit Partitions” option will be unavailable.
You have to check the "SSD Alignment" option if your destination disk is an SSD drive. This option can accelerate the writing and reading speed of SSD drive.
After cloning, switch out the Xbox one S drive and install the larger HDD or SSD onto Xbox One S console, then you will find that there is more free space to store data on Xbox One S.
Beside cloning, this software is still a backup and restore software for Windows 7/8/10/XP/Vista. With it, you could backup Xbox One S hard drive, then restore data to another hard disk. The entire process can be alternative to the cloning operations. Moreover, you can create partition backup, file backup and other backups, about more features about AOMEI Backupper, you can visit here.
Xbox One S hard drive upgrade by external hard drive
Luckily, Xbox One S is compatible with external hard drive. Thus, it gives you a chance to add external hard drive via USB 3.0 ports.
To upgrade hard drive on Xbox one S, you need a larger HDD or SSD and screwdriver.
1. Connect the target disk to Xbox One S and make sure it can be recognized.
2. Go to Settings > System > Storage, then you will see the new drive.
3. Select the new drive, scroll down to the option “Format” and select “Format storage device”.
4. Completely shutdown your computer and restart.
5. Move games and apps. Launch “My Games & Apps”, select the installed games from internal drive, press the “Menu” button on the controller, then click “Manage Game” > “ Move all” or “Move” to start the migration process.
Now, it will work smoothly as before. If you want a better performance or have more budget, you can choose to replace hard drive with SSD. The above method is also applied to Xbox One internal hard drive upgrade. You just need to follow the steps and try it yourself.
Wrapping things up
Simply deleting unused apps and videos cannot fix low disk space warning once and for all. You need more space. Thus, you can choose to do Xbox One S drive upgrade with a disk cloning software like AOMEI Backupper or add a new drive to Xbox One S.
This software is very friendly, because it’s suitable for both beginners and IT technicians. For beginners, you can choose AOMEI Backupper Standard or Professional. For IT technicians, you can consider AOMEI Backupper Tech or Tech Plus. Besides, there is a special version for server users, that is AOMEI Backupper Server.
Download the proper software and upgrade hard drive on Xbox One S to HDD or SSD.