Low disk space warning
You may have already encountered a low disk space warning after you bought a computer for a period of time. And once this warning appears, you cannot install any applications or save any files or folders to your computer. Only when it disappears, you can mount applications or files to your computer again. At the same time, your computer will run more slowly than before. Some users try to clone it to larger disk.
Other reasons to clone disk to larger disk
Aside by increasing the capacity of your disk, there’re some other reasons about it.
1. Just want a larger disk. With a larger disk, you can save more files, pictures, video, etc. Anyhow, a larger disk could be a greater choice. Thus, sometimes, you just want a larger disk and there's no reason for it.
2. Replace old disk with a new one. When you use a disk for several years, you may feel it too old and cannot satisfy your needs from all sides. You may want to replace it with a newer disk.
3. To increase the performance of your computer. If you are not satisfied with the performance of your computer and want to run more smoothly when you use your computer, you can clone SSD to larger SSD.
Preparations to clone disk to larger disk
To finish disk cloning process, you need to do some preparations ahead of time.
1. Prepare a larger disk. If you want to clone hard drive to larger drive, the first thing is to prepare a larger disk.
2. Prepare an SATA-to-USB cable or another adapter. This is used to connect your disk to your computer. If you do not have any of them, you can backup Windows to NAS first, then swap your disk for larger disk, boot your computer using bootable disk and restore it to the larger disk.
3. Prepare a disk cloning software. To finish all the disk cloning process without any unallocated space, you need to choose one reliable software.
4. Backup your destination disk (optional). You need to backup it in advance if your hard drive has already with data on it. All your data on the destination disk will be deleted at last. Thus, ensure you have already backed up your important files before you start to clone the disk.
Disk cloning software: AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free)
When it comes to free disk cloning software, AOMEI Backupper Standard deserves to be mentioned. This software is designed for Windows including Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10 which helps a lot of Windows users.
It can clone disk to larger disk with ease. And you still do not need to reinstall your operating system and applications after all the cloning process finishes. Furthermore, this software also supports Clone MBR Disk to SSD, Clone SSD to Larger SSD, etc.
When you clone disk to larger disk, the destination disk may have unallocated space. To avoid this problem, you can edit partition size on the destination disk by ticking "Add unused space to all partitions". And if your destination disk is SSD disk, you can align partition to optimize SSD disk. It will accelerate the writing and reading speed of your SSD disk.
What’s more, all the cloning process will run in the background, so you can do whatever you want during the process. Give AOMEI Backupper a chance, then it will give you a great user experience.
The detailed steps to clone disk to larger disk
Now, plug the disk you prepare ahead of time into your computer and follow the following detailed steps to proceed how to clone disk to larger disk in Windows 7/8/10.
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper, install and enjoy it.
Step 2. Enter the main page of AOMEI Backupper, click Clone and Disk Clone subsequently.
Step 3. Select your Source Disk and click Next.
Step 4. Find the disk you plug in and set it as Destination Disk, then click Next.
Step 5. Preview the Operation Summary.
Step 6. In general, you will see an unallocated space after cloning disk to larger disk. To avoid this problem, you can click Edit Partitions and select Add unused space to all partitions. Then confirm all the settings, click OK and Start Clone subsequently.
1. After you clone, you will have a spare disk. Only backing up to the computer is far from enough to protect your operating system and data Once your computer is infected by malware, your operating system and data will go forever. Thus, you can choose to make an offsite backup for your computer.
2. The Edit Partitions option is a great way to fix the left problem of cloning to larger disk. But if you forget to tick Edit Partitions, you still can extend partition or directly merge partition with the unallocated space.
3. If you choose Sector by sector clone, it will clone all sectors of your disk even blank or bad sectors. That’s to say, if your C drive is out of space on Source Disk, your C drive will still be out of space on the Destination Disk after you complete all the cloning process. Thus, many users are willing to use Intelligent Clone which only clones the used sector to another disk. Intelligent Clone is especially helpful when you want to clone to smaller disk.
This software can also be applied to clone smaller SSD to larger SSD, clone SSD to larger SSD Samsung, clone SSD to larger SSD laptop, etc.
When you read here, you should have already known what you are supposed to know about cloning disk to larger disk. All the detailed steps are very easy, even for a beginner. Give AOMEI Backupper a chance, it will give you a great user experience. And it's not only a disk cloning software but also a backup and restore software. And you can enjoy System Backup to migrate OS to SSD, Partition Backup, Disk Backup, System Restore, etc.