Can you clone a hard drive to a larger one?
“A few days ago, I received a “low disk space warning” window when I open my computer. After that, no matter what I do, it will pop up and says,”the disk space is not enough”. So, I cannot add any files, folder or install any programs on my computer. Is it possible to clone disk to larger disk? Thanks.”
Yes, you could clone hard drive to larger disk. To successfully clone a hard drive and ensure secure boot, you need a professional software. I highly recommend you free AOMEI Backupper Standard. It could not only help you clone hard drive to larger drive, but also clone to smaller disk. And it’s suitable for all users, even computer novice, because this software has a clear interface and user-friendly design.
How to clone hard drive to larger disk in a few steps?
Cloning disk to bigger drive with disk cloning software in Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10 is the prior choice, because it will transfer your system, installed programs, files and folders to another disk. And, you can do whatever you want during the process, because the cloning process will run in the background.
To finish disk cloning process, you need to do some preparations ahead of time.
☞ Prepare a larger disk and SATA-to-USB cable or another adapter. The cable or adapter is used to connect your disk to your computer. If you do not have any of them, you can backup Windows to NAS first, then swap your disk to larger disk, boot your computer using bootable disk and restore it to the larger disk.
☞ Backup your destination disk if there are any important data on it. It’s essential to backup the target drive, because all your data on the destination disk will be deleted at last.
The detailed steps to clone disk to larger disk
Now, plug the prepared disk into your computer and then clone disk to larger disk with the following steps in Windows 7/8/10:
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper, install and enjoy it.
Step 2. Enter the main page of AOMEI Backupper, click Clone and Disk Clone subsequently.
✎Note: This version only supports cloning disk with the same partition tyle, such as, cloning GPT disk to GPT disk. If you want to clone GPT disk to MBR or migrate MBR disk to GPT, you could consider upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
Step 3. Select your Source Disk and click Next.
Step 4. Find the disk you plug in and set it as Destination Disk, then click Next.
Step 5. Confirm the details of both disks and click Start Clone.
1. The unallocated space after cloning is a very common issue. To solve it, you can consider using Edit partition features on the paid version, such as, AOMEI Backupper Professional, Workstation, Server, etc.
2. After cloning, you will have a spare disk. You could use it to create an offsite backup, because your computer may be damaged, owing to different reasons, such as, malware, fire, computer issues, etc.
3. Use Intelligent Clone, because it only clones the used sectors instead of all the sectors. It is more than helpful, especially when you want to clone larger hard drive to smaller hard drive.
4. Besides, this software can also be applied to clone laptop hard drive to larger disk, clone smaller SSD to larger SSD, clone SSD to larger SSD Samsung, clone SSD to larger SSD laptop, etc.
Plus: why clone hard drive to larger drive?
For reasons to clone smaller disk to larger disk, the most commonly reasons is to solve low disk space issue and increase disk capacity. Besides, there are some others reasons. See below and get the details.
Low disk space warning
Many of computer users will encounter “low disk space warning” in the daily life. And you couldn’t install any applications or save any files or folders to computer after this error message occurs. Even worse, your computer will run more slowly than before.
To solve this problem, some users try to clone smaller disk to larger disk, because they know only when this error disappears, they could mount applications or files to computer again.
Other reasons to clone disk to larger disk
1. Just want a larger disk. With a larger disk, you can save more files, pictures, video, etc. Anyhow, a larger disk could be a greater choice. Thus, sometimes, you just want a larger disk and there's no reason for it.
2. Replace old disk with a new one. When you use a disk for several years, you may feel it’s too old and cannot satisfy your needs from all sides. You may want to replace it with a newer disk.
3. To increase the performance of your computer. If you are not satisfied with the performance of your computer and want to run computer more smoothly, you can clone SSD to larger SSD.
When you search “clone disk to a larger disk” in the forums, such as, Reddit, Microsft, you may get some information about”cloned hard drive won’t boot”. In a word, the cloning process failed. So, a trust and reliable disk cloning software is essential for disk clone.
AOMEI Backupper is one of the most reliable software, which is suitable for all users, even for a beginner. And it helps you fix cloned hard drive shows wrong size and offers you extra features, such as, SSD Alignment, Sector by Sector Clone, etc.
And it's not only a disk cloning software but also a backup and restore software. And you can enjoy System Backup to migrate OS to SSD, Partition Backup, Disk Backup, System Restore, etc.
Give AOMEI Backupper a chance, then it will give you a great user experience.