Need to Resize Hard Drive during Cloning
I’m trying to clone my 500GB Windows hard drive to 1TB new drive and wondering if I can resize partitions on the destination and fit the large drive. Otherwise, there would be around 500GB extra unallocated space left on the end of the disk which is not what I want. Google online and found that some cloning software do not let their users resize hard drive. Is there any reliable cloning tool to help resize disk in cloning? Thanks in advance.
That is a case on cloning hard drive with different sizes, from smaller hard drive to bigger specifically.
- Cloning hard drive to another hard drive or SSD is a good way to upgrade disk and improve computer performance in Windows. Also, it saves time and efforts comparing to reinstalling Windows and programs in the traditional way.
- Some users may also search for the software when cloning from larger drive to smaller drive, such as, from larger HDD to . Certainly, finding a powerful disk cloning utility is fairly important.
Complete Software to Clone and Expand Hard Drive
It is a pity that Windows misses the clone feature in all utilities. As a result, many users turn to third party software for direct disk copy/system migration. However, not all software can meet your cloning needs perfectly - some don't provide a way to adjust partition size during cloning, or just not easy for common computer users to operate.
Click the download button below to install and demonstrate the cloning function of AOMEI Backupper Professional:
*It works on Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, XP, Vista (all editions). If you are running Windows Server, try Server edition.
How to Clone Hard Drive and Resize Partitions Step by Step?
In the first place, connect the target disk to your computer correctly and make sure it can be detected. Note that the disk will be overwritten after cloning, so backup hard drive in advance if necessary.
1. Launch AOMEI Backupper, click Disk Clone under the Clone tab.
2. Select the source disk you’d like to clone from and click Next.
3. Select the destination disk you’d like to clone to and click Next.
Tips: To clone from GPT to MBR, AOMEI Backupper supports copying up to 3 partitions at a time. If there are more than 3 partitions on the source GPT disk, you can merge partitions without data loss before cloning or clone other partitions in the next time.
4. At the Operation Summary page, click Edit Partitions in the lower-left corner.
5. In the popping up window, select one of the methods according to your own need. The last one would be more flexible.
6. Preview the operations and then click Start Clone.
7. (Optional) Change boot order after cloning or just replace the old drive with the cloned disk if you've cloned system disk and want to boot from the drive.
Checking "Sector by sector clone" option will make "Edit Partitions" unavailable.
Tick "SSD Alignment" to improve reading and writing speed if you clone to SSD.
When you clone from large drive to smaller drive, the option "Copy without resizing partitions" in "Edit Partitions" will be grayed out.
AOMEI Backupper Professional provides an easy way to clone and resize hard drive in Windows. It allows you to clone large drive to smaller drive or clone smaller drive to larger drive, and adjust partitions to a desired size at the same time. Except for disk clone, you can also clone boot drive to SSD by System Clone while keeping files on HDD with the software. The Partition Clone feature even assists you in cloning dynamic volumes.
After cloning, it is suggested to keep AOMEI Backupper installed as the protection for your computer. Create a backup task, system backup, disk backup, and/or file backup, to protect your crucial and sensitive data efficiently.