Free Way to Clone UEFI Disk as Boot drive in Windows 10/8/7
Learn how to clone UEFI/GPT disk to SSD or larger hard drive without the need to reinstall Windows 10/8/7 and applications step by step.
Recent computers use built-in UEFI main board instead of BIOS. UEFI system adopts hard drives initialized with GPT partition style, which allows you to use disk space beyond 2TB. Now you are planning to clone UEFI hard drive and the following may be the main reasons:
You want to have a large disk to replace the original one.
You want to clone UEFI disk to SSD to get better performance.
The UEFI disk is falling.
Whatever the reason, you definitely prefer a quick way to clone UEFI disk to the new one without the need to reinstall Windows and programs. To make it, UEFI disk cloning software is needed and AOMEI Backupper Standard is recommended here.
AOMEI Backupper Standard is one powerful freeware that has the ability to do UEFI disk clone as boot drive or data drive. Additionally, it is able to clone hard drives regardless of its partition style. In other words, you can use it to clone disk from MBR to GPT (data disk) or MBR to MBR.
1. It can help you clone UEFI disk to SSD easily. And it’s possible to clone larger HDD to smaller SSD with its intelligent clone option.
2. It enables you to clone UEFI disk to larger hard drive. With the Sector by sector clone feature, you can copy every sector no matter it is used or not.
3. It also can help you ghost UEFI in Windows 10/8/7.
What’s more, the cloning process will be running in the background and it won’t interrupt you using the PC. Check the next part to see how to clone UEFI hard drive.
The interface of AOMEI Backupper is quite neat, so you can easily use it to clone UEFI disk to SSD or another hard disk. It is totally free for personal and commercial use, and you can just get on withit.
1. Free download this cloning software, install and run it.
2. Click the “Clone” tab on the left, and then select “Disk Clone”. If you intend to transfer OS to another drive, you can upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional and use “System Clone”.
3. In the next screen, tap the original UEFI/GPT disk to mark as source disk and click “Next”.
4. Select new hard drive you want to clone to as the destination disk and click “Next”.
5. Tick "SSD Alignment" to accelerate the reading and writting speed of the destination SSD. Click “Start Clone” to start the Windows UEFI disk clone.
Tips: If you are cloning large disk to smaller one, the program will shrink partition size on the destination disk to fit the smaller drive.
To clone UEFI disk that contains operating system to MBR disk, please upgrade to its Professional edition. You are able to adjust the partition size ("Add unused space to all partitions" and "Manually adjust partition size") on the destination disk if you are cloning small disk to larger one at the same time.
That’s all for how to clone UEFI disk in Windows 10/8/7 to SSD. As known, to upgrade a hard drive, you can also use backup and recovery apart from hard drive cloning. Surprisingly, AOMEI Backupper is also taken as a backup and restore software that can be used to backup hard drive and backup system.
In a word, no matter whether you want to clone UEFI disk or backup it, AOMEI Backupper is a great choice. In case that you prefer to work in command line, there is AOMEI Backupper Professional Edition for you.