The issue: Windows Server 2016 won’t boot
Have you come across this situation when Windows Server 2016 fails to boot? This problem could be caused by the errors or damage on server boot files or even system failures. Then, how to repair Windows Server 2016?
Based on different causes, you can choose to run the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows RE or try Windows Server 2016 restore from backup if you backed up Windows Server 2016 before. These methods will be specifically described below.
How to repair Windows Server 2016 efficiently?
Now I’m going to show you efficient ways of Windows Server 2016 recovery:
Windows Server 2016 repair with Bootrec.exe
This method applies to Windows Server 2016 repair boot:
1. Insert the Windows Server 2016 installation media into your computer and boot from it.
2. At the Windows Setup Dialog, set your appropriate settings and click “Next”.
3. Click Repair your Computer > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
4. In Command Prompt, input following command lines and press Enter after each.
y (to confirm that you want to add new Windows installations to the Boot Configuration Database)
5. Exit Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Windows Server 2016 repair via AOMEI Backupper.exe
If the Windows Server 2016 boot issue is caused by system failures, AOMEI Backupper Server comes to help. Especially designed for small and medium sized business, it is your total data protection and disaster recovery solution.
If you own a good backup habit and have already made a system backup via AOMEI Backupper, you can try Windows Server 2016 system restore in following steps. If you haven’t created a system backup with AOMEI Backupper, you can create one on another computer running Windows Server 2016. However, your computer will be restored to the state of the computer where the system backup is made.
Before running a system restore, you may use AOMEI Backupper Check Image utility to check if the system backup image is intact and without error. Now let’s get straight to Windows Server 2016 repair:
1. Create bootable media with AOMEI Backupper on a computer functioning well. Boot the computer which has a boot problem from the bootable media.
2. You’ll see loaded AOMEI Backupper once login. Go Utilities > Windows shell command to open Command Prompt.
3. Type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper and press Enter. You should change the path after “cd” with the installation directory of AOMEI Backupper on your computer.
4. Type AMBackup /r /t system /s “D:\systembackup\systembackup.adi” /d 2 to restore the system backup saved in D:\system backup to disk 2 and press Enter. You should change the path of the image file and the destination location with yours.
5. Type exit to exit Command Prompt and press Enter. Restart your computer later.
Tips: The drive letters might change under Windows PE environment. You can run
AMBackup /l before Step 4 to list disks on your computer and AMBackup
Alternative way to repair Windows Server 2016
Some users prefer GUI operations to repair Windows Server 2016. AOMEI Backupper Server can also meet the demand:
Step 1. Create bootable media and boot from it as mentioned above.
Step 2. When you see loaded AOMEI Backupper, select “Restore” on the left pane and tick “Select Task” to show backup tasks.
Step 3. Select the backup image in the list and click “Next”.
Step 4. Select to restore entire backup or a part and click Next.
Step 5.Confirm operations on the “Operation Summary” page and click on “Start Restore” button.
If the size or location of the original system drive has changed, you will need to specify the destination drive before Step 4; if not, the program will automatically select the current system partition (usually C drive) as destination drive. You can also change the default destination drive by ticking before “Restore system to other location” in Step 3.
If your system backup image is from another computer, you should tick “Enable Universal Restore” in Step 5 to ensure the system is bootable after recovery.
When you encounter Windows Server 2016 boot error, you can either run the Bootrec.exe tool to fix boot or use AOMEI Backupper Server for system restore. Windows Server 2012 repair boot can be achieved as well in the same ways. You may enjoy more practical features from AOMEI Backupper, such as fixing Windows 10 backup 0 bytes error, migrateing HDD to SSD and so on.
If you want to protect unlimited PCs and servers within your company, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. It offers unlimited billable technical services to clients. It also enables you to copy installation directory for portable version creation.