Windows Server 2016 Repair Boot | 2 Effective Solutions
Do you get stuck in Windows Server 2016 boot failure and desire to figure out how to repair it? Learn how to repair Server 2016 with Command Prompt and a powerful backup and restore tool from this page.
The issue: Windows Server 2016 won’t boot
Windows Server 2016, developed concurrently with Windows 10, is the successor to Windows Server 2012 R2. It features Nano server which is so small that it doesn't have any direct user interface besides the new Emergency Management console. It also features Windows Server and Hyper-V container, and Linux secure boot, etc.
Superb as it is, some users find Windows Server 2016 won’t boot after update. And there are users who receive an error message, “Windows failed to start. Status: 0xc000000e” after a full OS recovery. How does the error occur? This problem could be caused by the errors or damage on server boot files or even system failures. Then, how to run Windows Server 2016 recovery?
Based on different causes, you can choose to run the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows RE or try Windows Server 2016 restore from backup if you backed up Windows Server 2016 before. These methods will be specifically described below.
Way 1. Repair Windows Server 2016 with Bootrec.exe
This method applies to Windows Server 2016 repair boot:
1. Insert the Windows Server 2016 installation media into your computer and boot from it.
2. At the Windows Setup Dialog, set your appropriate settings and click Next.
3. Click Repair your Computer > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt.
4. In Command Prompt, input following command lines and press Enter after each.
y (to confirm that you want to add new Windows installations to the Boot Configuration Database)
5. Exit Command Prompt and restart your computer.
Way 2. Run Windows Server 2016 recovery via AOMEI Backupper.exe
If the Windows Server 2016 boot issue is caused by system failures, AOMEI Backupper Server comes to help. Especially designed for small and medium sized business, it is your total data protection and disaster recovery solution. Following are its main features:
Before running a system restore:
If you own a good backup habit and have already made a system backup via AOMEI Backupper, you can try Windows Server 2016 system restore in following steps.
If you haven’t created a system backup with AOMEI Backupper, you can create one on another computer running Windows Server 2016. However, your computer will be restored to the state of the computer where the system backup is made.
You may use AOMEI Backupper Check Image utility to check if the system backup image is intact and without error.
Now let’s get straight to Windows Server 2016 repair:
1. Create bootable media with AOMEI Backupper on a computer functioning well.
2. Boot the computer which has a boot problem from the bootable media. You’ll see loaded AOMEI Backupper once login. Go Tools > Windows shell command to open Command Prompt.
3. Type cd C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper and press Enter. You should change the path after “cd” with the installation directory of AOMEI Backupper on your computer.
4. Type AMBackup /r /t system /s “D:\systembackup\systembackup.adi” /d 2 to restore the system backup saved in D:\system backup to disk 2 and press Enter. You should change the path of the image file and the destination location with yours.
5. Type exit to exit Command Prompt and press Enter. Restart your computer later.
How to do Windows Server 2016 system restore in GUI
Some users prefer GUI operations to repair Windows Server 2016. AOMEI Backupper Server can also meet the demand:
Step 1. Create bootable media and boot from it as mentioned above.
Step 2. When you see loaded AOMEI Backupper, select “Restore” on the left pane and tick “Select Task” to show backup tasks.
Step 3. Select the system backup task in the list and click “Next”.
Step 4. Select to restore entire backup or a part and click “Next”.
Step 5. Confirm operations on the “Operation Summary” page and click on “Start Restore” button.
If the size or location of the original system drive has changed, you will need to specify the destination drive before Step 5; if not, the program will automatically select the current system partition (usually C drive) as destination drive. You can also change the default destination drive by ticking before “Restore system to other location” in Step 4.
If your system backup image is from another computer, you should tick “Universal Restore” in Step 5 to ensure the system is bootable after recovery.
Bonus tip: Best enterprise data backup solution
If you are an enterprise user who has multiple Windows Server devices that need to be backed up, you can try the best enterprise backup software - AOMEI Cyber Backup. It offers you all-around enterprise data backup solutions:
- It enables you to create system/disk/partition backup for a bunch of Windows PCs and Servers, supporting Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7 and Windows Server 2022/2019/2016/2012 (R2)/2008 (R2).
- You are allowed to save backup images on a local disk, external hard drive, network share or NAS device, etc.
- You can schedule a backup task to run every day/week/month using the full/incremental/differential backup method.
Download this powerful enterprise backup software now to have a try!
To make backups for client computers, just log in AOMEI Cyber Backup, and add the Windows device that you want to backup. Then click Backup Task on the left menu bar and select Backup Task > Create New Task.
When you encounter Windows Server 2016 boot error, you can either run the Bootrec.exe tool to fix boot or use AOMEI Backupper Server for system restore. Windows Server 2012 repair boot can be achieved in the same ways. What's more, AOMEI Backupper offers the clone feature to help you clone Windows Server 2016 to SSD.
To protect unlimited PCs and servers within your company, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. You will be surprised to find that it enables you to copy the installation directory for portable version creation. Don't hesitate to try it out!