Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2016
Windows Server Backup (WSB) is built in backup utility in Windows Server 2016/2012 R2/2012/2008 R2/2008. It has a series of wizards that help you create basic backups and perform recovery tasks whenever you need. The new Windows Server 2016 has the potential to be problematic, so it is rather crucial for creating a system image backup for Windows Server 2016.
You can use WSB to perform a full server backup (including all volumes), specific volumes/partitions backup, system state backup, specific files or folders backup. Since Windows Server 2012, WSB supports 4K sector advanced format hard drive and partitions larger than 2TB, so you can create a full server backup more easily.
With Windows Server backup images, if something bad like hard disk failures or system crushes happens, you can run a Windows Server bare metal recovery to make everything back on track without worrying about data loss.
How to create Windows Server 2016 system backup with WSB?
Before you can use Windows Server Backup, you need to install it first.
Go to Server Manager > Role-based or Feature based installation > Server.
Under the Features wizard, check Windows Server Backup feature and click Install.
When you complete the installation, which won’t take long, you can click Start, Administrative Tools, and then select Windows Server Backup.
Now, here are detailed steps on how to use Windows Server Backup to backup system state in Server 2016.
1. Under Actions tab, click Backup Once for a one time backup job, and click Next to continue in the Backup Once Wizard. If you want to create a scheduled backup, click Backup Schedule instead.
2. Check Custom for backup configuration and click Next.
3. Click Add Items option. In the next screen, check Bare metal recovery, which will automatically check the required items for bare metal recovery, and click OK.
4. Specify destination location to save the image backup, you can choose the local drives or remote shared folder.
5. WSB will show you a confirmation screen. If no problems, click Backup to let
Windows Server 2016 backup system state.
It will take a long while for the Windows Server image backup to complete. Once the backup is done, if you want to create another backup, you have to specify the destination to another location because new backup will overwrite the previous one on the same location.
If what you created is a scheduled backup task, you can either modify the scheduled backup or delete it when you want to create a new scheduled backup. If you want to get rid of these restrictions, you can use the third party backup software, and avoid issues like Windows Server 2016 system state backup fails at the same time.
Windows Server backup system state with comprehensive Server backup software
A powerful Windows Server 2016 backup software, AOMEI Backupper Server allows you to perform system image backup with only a few mouse-clicking. You are allowed to backup system image in full, incremental or differential backup. It helps you to keep as many scheduled backups as you want instead only one, and it can use any locations that File Explorer detects without removing previous backups.
It supports FAT32, FAT16, EXT2, EXT3 besides NTFS; With its intuitive main interface, you can easily backup Windows Server 2016 like an expert. Get the 30-day free trial and have a try. If you want to protect unlimited PCs and servers within your company, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. It offers unlimited billable technical services to clients. It also enables you to copy installation directory for portable version creation.
Here comes step-by-step guide:
1. Download, install and launch the Windows Server backup software. If back up Windows Server 2016 to an external hard drive, you need to connect the external storage in advance.
2. Under “Backup” tab, select System Backup. As you can see from the screenshot, it provides 4 types of backup to meet users’ needs.
3. You just need to select a destination location to save the system backup as the program will automatically select the required partitions for a system backup.
4. Click Start Backup to add or start the system image backup.
Tips: If you need to create a scheduled backup, for example, Windows Server backup schedule weekly, just click the Schedule button and follow the instructions to configure a scheduled backup task before you click Start Backup. You can also configure full/incremental/differential backups from there.
To sum up
In a short while, AOMEI Backupper will create a system image backup in Windows Server 2016 for you. Once the backup task is finished, you can use it to restore to dissimilar hardware or identical hardware Server. With the ability to create bootable rescue media or AOMEI PXE Tool, you can easily restore system state backup for Windows Server 2016 even when it is unable to boot.