Windows Server Backup in Windows Server 2016
Windows Server Backup (WSB) is built in backup utility in Windows Server 2016/2012 R2/2012/2008 R2/2008. It has a series of wizards that help you create basic backups and perform recovery tasks whenever you need. The new Windows Server 2016 has the potential to be problematic, so it is rather crucial for creating a system image backup for Windows Server 2016.
You can use WSB to perform a full server backup (including all volumes), specific volumes/partitions backup, system state backup, specific files or folders backup. Since Windows Server 2012, WSB supports 4K sector advanced format hard drive and partitions larger than 2TB, so you can create a full server backup more easily.
With Windows Server backup images, if something bad like hard disk failures or system crushes happens, you can run a Windows Server bare metal recovery to make everything back on track without worrying about data loss.
Windows Server Backup 2016 Step by Step Guide
Please install Windows Server Backup before using it:
Go to Server Manager > Role-based or Feature based installation > Server.
Under the Features wizard, check Windows Server Backup feature and click Install.
When you complete the installation, which won’t take long, you can click Start, Administrative Tools, and then select Windows Server Backup.
Now, here are detailed steps on how to use Windows Server Backup to backup Windows Server 2016.
1. Under Actions tab, click Backup Once for a one time backup job, and click Next to continue. If you want to create a scheduled backup, click Backup Schedule instead.
2. Check Custom for backup configuration and click Next.
3. Click Add Items option. In the next screen, check Bare metal recovery, which will automatically check the required items for bare metal recovery, and click OK.
4. Specify destination location to save the Windows Server 2016 system backup, you can choose the local drives or remote shared folder.
5. Click Backup to create system image backup for Windows Server 2016.
It will take a long while for the Windows Server image backup to complete. Once the backup is done, you have to specify the destination to another location because new backup will overwrite the previous one if you store the Windows Server 2016 system backup to NAS or network shared folder.
If you created a scheduled backup task, and Windows Server Backup will automatically delete old backup images to free up space if the target storage location is full. However, you might get the Windows Server Backup backup failed and not deleting old backups due to the Windows Server Backup could not shrink the storage space of shadow copies to 1/8 below the target volume size.
What should you do to create more backups? It’s time to look for other powerful Windows Server backup software.
Windows Server backup Alternative - AOMEI Backupper
A powerful Windows Server backup software, AOMEI Backupper Server allows you to create system image backup for Windows Server 2016 with only a few mouse-clicking.
You are allowed to backup system image in full, incremental or differential backup.
It allows you to set up the number of backup you want to keep, and mange storage space easily. You could store backups in local disk, external hard disk, USB drive, CD/DVD, network or NAS, clouds.
It supports FAT32, FAT16, EXT2, EXT3 besides NTFS, etc.
With its intuitive main interface, you can easily backup Windows Server 2016 like an expert.
Please download and install the 30-day free trial and have a try.
Reliable Way to Backup Windows Server 2016
Now, we will backup Windows Server 2016 to external hard drive, and here is the step-by-step guide:
1. Launch the Windows Server backup software - AOMEI Backupper, connect the external storage and make it can be detected.
2. Under Backup tab, select System Backup.
3. Choose the external hard drive as the destination to save the Windows Server 2016 system backup.
3. Click Schedule to set up the backup intervals. Click Scheme to delete old images automatically when meet the requirements. Then, press Start Backup to create a system image backup for Windows Server 2016.
Bonus tip: one key system backup & recovery in Windows Server
If you want one key system backup & recovery solution for Windows Server 2019/2016/2012, etc., specialized onekey recovery software - AOMEI OneKey Recovery can meet your demand. It enables you to create a custom recovery partition to save the image file, and you can launch the system restore process by pressing "F11" or "A" during computer startup.
To sum up
In a short while, AOMEI Backupper will create a system image backup in Windows Server 2016 for you. Once the backup task is finished, you can use it to restore to dissimilar hardware or identical hardware Server. With the ability to create bootable rescue media or AOMEI PXE Tool, you can easily restore system state backup for Windows Server 2016 even when it is unable to boot.
If you want to protect unlimited PCs and servers within your company, you may choose AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus. It offers unlimited billable technical services to clients. It also enables you to copy installation directory for portable version creation.