Why Backup Files in Windows 7?
ntil now, Windows 7 is no longer get security updates due to Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020. Windows 7 end of life what to do? The Microsoft Windows recommended you to upgrade to Windows 10 to get continues protection. Before upgrading to Windows 10, it’s emergency to backup files in Windows 7 if you would like to move your important data, like consumer documents, business data, videos, and other critical files to Windows 10 and use it again.
How to backup files in Windows 7? The following will show you the details, let’s go find out the solutions.
How to Backup Files in Windows 7 with Built-in Backup Tool?
As a matter of fact, Windows 7 has built-in Windows backup software for you to backup files: Backup and Restore, Windows Easy Transfer. Now, let’s find out how to backup files in Windows 7 with these two backup tools.
Backup and Restore
The Backup and Restore will backup the Windows operating system, system settings, individual folders, libraries, and drives that you want to backup.
To backup files in Windows 7 with Backup and Restore, please refer to this guide:
1. Input backup and restore in Start Search box, and select Backup and Restore, and hit enter.
2. Click Set up backup to create a new one if you have never used it before.
3. Select where you want to save the Windows 7 backup image to, and click Next.
4. Tick Let me choose, and hit Next.
5. Choose the files you want to backup, and then click Next.
6. Review the backup settings, click Change schedule to customize the intervals to backup.
7. Click Save settings and run backup to backup selected files in Windows 7.
However, it would not backup program files, files stored in the FAT file system, files stored in Recycle Bin, Temporary files on drives smaller than 1 GB.
Windows Easy Transfer
Windows Easy Transfer allows you to copy files and Windows settings from one computer to another. You could transfer user accounts, email, documents, internet favorites, music, videos and pictures from Windows Vista/7 to new Windows 7.
Here is how to backup files to external hard drive in Windows 7 with Windows Easy Transfer, follow the tutorials:
1. Input migwiz into Start Search box, and hit enter on migwiz program.
2. Click Next on the welcome window.
3. Select An external hard disk or USB flash drive option.
4. Select This is my old computer.
5. Then, Windows Easy Transfer will check all the files supported in Windows 7, choose the files you would like to backup, and click Next.
6. Set a password to the Windows 7 backup image, click Save.
7. Choose the external hard disk and click Save to backup files to external hard drives.
8. Hit Next, and you will be prompted with where is the Windows 7 backup image stored.
9. Then go to the new Windows computer, and run Windows Easy Transfer to transfer these files to the new computer according to step 1-4 (change to This is my new computer in step 4, then follow on-screen instructions to restore).
However, there are some limitations of Windows Easy Transfer:
Windows Easy Transfer does not support migration from a 64-bit to a 32-bit system.
Easy Transfer doesn’t deal with program files. You have to reinstall the programs If you would like to run the old programs to your new PC.
It’s time-consuming if there are a large number of data to transfer.
It’s not supported in Windows 10 by default.
Best Free Windows 7 Backup Software - AOMEI Backupper Standard
Compared with the above two Windows 7 backup tool, the best free Windows 7 backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard is more comprehensive and easier to use, which is designed for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (all editions, 32-bit and 64-bit) to backup files (including program files) to another location easily, no matter what the files stored on NTFS or FAT file system partition.
As a matter of fact, there are two ways provided in AOMEI Backupper to backup files in Windows 7:
Backup files in Windows 7 with File Backup
Backup computer to external hard drive with Disk Backup.
Way 1. Create Windows 7 File Backup with File Backup
First of all, please download AOMEI Backupper Standard to have a try. How to backup files in Windows 7 to external hard drive with AOMEI Backupper, try the following steps:
1. Run AOMEI Backupper after installation, select Backup -> File Backup in turn.
2. Tap + Add Folder or + Add File to choose the Windows 7 files you would like to backup.
3. Click the folder icon to choose the external hard disk as the destination to save the Windows 7 backup image.
4. Press Start Backup >> button to perform Windows 7 file backup easily.
Now, you have created a Windows 7 file backup, and get a Windows 7 backup image named .afi file in the external hard drive, then you could restore files from backup in Windows 10 computer. Besides, you could create Windows 7 incremental backup for these selected files or get Windows 7 backup files in Safe Mode.
Way 2. Backup Computer to External Hard Drive with Disk Backup
How to backup computer to external hard drive in Windows 7? Disk Backup will help you out, which allows you backup all your files/folders, including Windows operating system, program files, settings, registry, personal documents and all other information on that disk. Here ar the steps:
Step 1. Launch Windows 7 backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, choose Backup > Disk Backup in order.
Step 2. Click Add Disk to choose the Windows 7 hard drive as the source disk, and click Next.
Step 3. Select the external hard drive as the destination disk, and press Next.
Step 4. Press Start Backup to backup Window 7 to external hard drive easily.
It’s easy to backup files in Windows 7 or backup Windows 7 computer to external hard drive with the help of AOMEI Backupper.
How to backup files in Windows 7? There are 3 Windows 7 backup software provied in this post for you to create Windows 7 file backup or Windows 7 backup image. Just find the suitable Windows 7 backup tool to backup files in Windows 7. Besides, you could try sync features like basic sync to sync files from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Compared with Backup and Restore, Windows Easy Transfer, AOMEI Backupper Standard offers flexible ways to protect your Windows 7, like create bootable media to boot unbootable Windows 7 computer, create system backup in Windows 7, upgrade HDD to SSD for Windows 7/8/10, etc.
For server users, try AOMEI Backupper Server to enjoy more.