Why Backup Files in Windows 7?
Until now, Windows 7 is no longer get security updates due to Windows 7 support ended on January 14, 2020. Windows 7 end of life what to do? The Microsoft Windows recommended you to upgrade to Windows 10. Therefore, it’s emergency to backup files in Windows 7 before upgrade to Windows 10 if you would like to move your important data, like consumer documents, business data, videos, and other critical files to Windows 10 and use it again.
Besides, it’s important to regularly back up files in Windows 7/8/10 in case of system failure, hard disk crashes, natural disasters, and other errors. Sometimes you have to format the whole disk to clean install Windows 7, how to backup files in Windows 7 before formatting? let’s go find out the solutions.
How to Backup Files in Windows 7?
As a matter of fact, Windows 7 has built-in Windows backup software for you to backup files: Backup and Restore, Windows Easy Transfer. Now, let’s find out how to backup files in Windows 7 with these two backup tools. Or try best free Windows 7 backup software to backup files.
Backup and Restore
The Backup and Restore will backup the Windows operating system, system settings, individual folders, libraries, and drives that you want to backup.
To perform Windows 7 backup files with Backup and Restore, please refer to this guide:
1. Input backup and restore in Start Search box, and select Backup and Restore, and hit enter.
2. Click Set up backup to create a new one if you have never used it before.
3. Select where you want to save the Windows 7 backup image to, and click Next.
4. Tick Let me choose, and hit Next.
5. Choose the files you want to backup, and then click Next.
6. Review the backup settings, click Change schedule to customize the intervals to backup.
7. Click Save settings and run backup to backup selected files in Windows 7.
However, it would not backup program files, files stored in the FAT file system, files stored in Recycle Bin, Temporary files on drives smaller than 1 GB.
Windows Easy Transfer
Windows Easy Transfer allows you to copy files and Windows settings from one computer to another. You could transfer user accounts, email, documents, internet favorites, music, videos and pictures from Windows Vista/7 to new Windows 7.
Here is how to backup files to external hard drive in Windows 7 with Windows Easy Transfer, follow the tutorials:
1. Input migwiz into Start Search box, and hit enter on migwiz program.
2. Click Next on the welcome window.
3. Select An external hard disk or USB flash drive option.
4. Select This is my old computer.
5. Then, Windows Easy Transfer will check all the files supported in Windows 7, choose the files you would like to backup, and click Next.
6. Set a password to protect these files, click Save.
7. Choose the external hard disk and click Save to backup files to external hard drives.
8. Hit Next, and you will be prompted with where are the backup files stored.
9. Then go to the new Windows computer, and run Windows Easy Transfer to transfer these files to the new computer according to step 1-4 (change to This is my new computer in step 4, then follow on-screen instructions to restore).
However, there are some limitations of Windows Easy Transfer:
Windows Easy Transfer does not support migration from a 64-bit to a 32-bit system.
Easy Transfer doesn’t deal with program files. You have to reinstall the programs If you would like to run the old programs to your new PC.
It’s time-consuming if there are a large number of data to transfer.
It’s not supported in Windows 10 by default.
Best Free Windows 7 Backup Software - AOMEI Backupper Standard
Compared with Windows 7 built-in backup tool, The best free backup software for Windows 7 - AOMEI Backupper Standard is easier to use, runs faster, and designed for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (all editions, 32-bit and 64-bit) to backup files (including program files) to another location easily, no matter what the files stored on NTFS or FAT file system partition.
First of all, please download AOMEI Backupper Standard to have a try. How to backup files in Windows 7 to external hard drive with AOMEI Backupper, try the following steps:
1. Run AOMEI Backupper after installation, select Backup -> File Backup in turn.
2. Tap + Add Folder or + Add File to choose files you would like to backup.
3. Click the folder icon to choose the external hard disk as the destination to save the Windows 7 backup image.
4. Press Start Backup >> button to backup files Windows 7 easily.
Now, you will get all these files backed up in Windows 7, and get .afi file in the external hard drive, then restore files from backup in Windows 10 computer. Besides, you could create Windows 7 incremental backup for these selected files or get Windows 7 backup files in Safe Mode. To backup entire computer in Windows 7, please try Disk Backup, and it will backup all your files, including Windows operating system, program files, settings, personal documents and all other information on that disk.
How to backup files in Windows 7 with Windows built in backup tools? The Backup and Restore, Windows Easy Transfer will help you out. However, they have some limitations that you should be aware of, and find the best free Windows 7 backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard to get it done. For server users, try AOMEI Backupper Server to enjoy more.