Overview of Windows Easy Transfer
Windows Easy Transfer is an appropriate file transfer software developed by Microsoft, which is capable of transferring personal files and settings, including user profiles, documents, browser settings and application settings, from an earlier version of Windows computer to a newer version of Windows computer. It was firstly introduced in Windows Vista and is inherited in Windows 7, 8, 8.1.
According to Microsoft, Windows Easy Transfer only support the following operating system. And it provides three ways to transfer data: an easy transfer cable, a network, or removable media like an external hard disk or USB flash drive.
Migrate Windows XP (SP2 and higher) to Windows 7
Migrate Windows Vista (SP1 and higher) to Windows 7
Workaround: Transfter Files from Windows 7 to Windows 10
As mentioned above, this software only works in Windwos Vista, XP and Windows 7. Thus, it’s not possible to perform Windows Easy Transfer Windows 7 to Windows 10 data migration in theory. But we found a proven way to complete this process, it's to run Windows 7 migwiz.exe in Windows 10.
- Copy the migwiz folder at the Windows Easy Transfer file location(C:Windows\System32\) in Windows 7 to Windows 10.
- Double click the migwiz.exe in the migwiz folder, and then use Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 10 freely.
And then, you can migrate Windows 7 to Windows 10 easily with Windows Easy Transfer. Please follow the steps freely, we have tested migrating from Windows 7 x64 to Windows 10 Enterprise x64 before, and it’s worked.
1. Click Start -> Transfer your files to access Windows Easy Transfer in Windows 7.
2. Choose An external hard disk or USB flash drive. (or choose USB Easy Transfer Cable, or A network according to your needs)
3. Select This is my old computer.
4. And Windows Easy Transfer will automatically detect all the data that can be transferred, and then press Next. You could click Customize -> Advanced to select data you want to sync.
5. Set the password for these data if necessary or leave it blank. And then, hit Save to select an external hard drive to save the file named Windows Easy Transfer - Items from old computers.MIG.
Then all the selected files and settings in Windows 7 will be backed up to the external hard drive.
Now, connect the external hard drive to your Windows 10 computer, repeat steps 1-4 in Windows Easy Transfer to restore Windows 7 files to Windows 10, select This is my new computer instead in step 3, and then click Transfer to start Windows 7 to Windows 10 migration.
This way is not applied to every Windows version and is limited.
Windows Easy Transfer Limitations
Nevertheless, Windows Easy Transfer has some limitations may have influence on your data migration:
It cannot transfer installed programs and Windows operating system.
Does not allow to migrate from a 64-bit to a 32-bit system.
Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10.
In sum, if you would like to try Windows 7 to Windows 10 migration, you are supposed to turn to the windows easy transfer alternative for help. Another data migration tool - PCmover Express for Windows XP only support to move files, settings, and user profiles from a Windows XP computer to a Windows 7, 8, and 8.1, and it does not transfer applications as well.
Thus, try other reliable alternatives to Windows Easy Transfer. And I'll introduce you to one such software.
Best Free Windows Easy Transfer alternative - AOMEI Backupper
It's highly recommended to try the best windows easy transfer replacement, AOMEI Backupper Standard, which can help you transfer files in simple ways no matter what the Windows version is. Why it’s the best free Windows Easy Transfer alternative? Here are some reasons:
1. AOMEI Backkupper Standard supports all kinds of Windows PC operating system, including Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, and XP, including 32-bit and 64-bit.
2. AOMEI Backupper allows you to migrate music, videos, installed program, operating system, user profiles, user configured settings and more from one PC to another PC.
3. It permits you to migrate data from PC to PC no matter what the operating system is, 64-bit or 32-bit, Windows 7 or Windows 10, etc.
4. AOMEI Backupper provides you with multiple powerful features to sync files in a better way. You could automatically sync files to Google Drive or other clouds via daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
Transfer Files from PC to PC with Windows Easy Transfer alternative
Here are the instructions to migrate Windows 7 files to Windows 10 with the best Windows Easy Transfer alternative - AOMEI Backupper.
Step 1. Select Sync on the home window, then choose Basic Sync.
Other sync methods for data migration between two PCs:
Real-Time Sync: It will monitor files in real-time and sync any detected changes immediately, so your files is always up-to-date.
Mirror Sync: It focuses on preventing any unwanted changes in the destination, and it will undo them in the next sync task if there are some changes.
Two-Way Sync: It is to sync files between two locations and the changes will be sync to the other side once it happens in one side.
Step 2. Click + Add Folder button to choose which files or folders will be transferred from Windows 7 computer.
Step 3. Hit the inverted triangle icon and Add Share or NAS Devices.
Step 4. Input the Windows 10 computer’s IP address as Network Path, and then select the network shared folder as destination.
Step 5. Press Start Sync to confirm syncing files from Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 PC easily.
It's really simple to transfer files from one computer to another computer with the help of the Windows 10 Easy Transfer alternative - AOMEI Backupper Standard. Take data security as serious, you need to set a scheduled sync task in Windows 10.
In this software, you have 5 options, namely, daily, weekly, monthly, event triggers, and USB plug in. Among them, you can set the sync task up to every 1 hour in day.
Also, you can customize your sync task in Options, like comment the sync, enable email notification when it’s finished or encountered some errors, and other settings. Some of these features are available on the professional version or higher.
As the best Windows Easy Transfer alternative, AOMEI Backupper Standard is skilled at syncing files or folders to local hard drive, cloud drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, etc. Besides, it still allows you to clone entire hard disk to SSD easily, move individual partitions to another location, as well as create a system image for all the Windows PCs, and more.
Moreover, AOMEI Backupper Professional also offers you more advanced features like migrate Windows 10 operating system to SSD, including the installed programs, command line utility, dynamic disk/volume backup/restore/clone, backup files with a certain file extension, etc.