What is Dell Command Update Application for Windows 11?
Dell Command | Update (DCU) is a stand-alone application, for commercial client computers, that provides updates for system software that is released by Dell. This application simplifies the BIOS, firmware, driver, and application update experience for Dell commercial client hardware. This application can also be used to install drivers after the operating system and network drivers are installed based on the computer identity.
It can keep your system up-to-date without knowing each software or driver that needs to be updated by automatically checking the system and comparing it to the available updates on Dell Support for the specific system.
How to Download and Use Dell Command Update on Windows 11
Dell Command Update can be used on many Dell devices, including Latitude series, OptiPlex series, Precision series, XPS series, and more. This tool is compatible with multiple operating systems including Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7.
On the Dell website, you can get different versions of Dell Command Update. Currently, the available versions are Dell Command Update 4.5, 4.4, 4.3, 4.2.1, 4.2, 4.1, 4.0, 3.1.3, 3.1.2, 3.1.1, 3.1, 3.0 and 2.4. Next, I'll show you how to perform a Dell Command Update download and use it on Windows 11.
- You can download the software from the following link: Dell Command | Update Or search for the file within the Drivers & downloads section and the Systems Management category for your computer at Dell Support Website / Drivers & Downloads.
- After getting the setup.exe file, double-click it and then click the INSTALL button to continue.
- Then, accept the license terms, decide whether to participate in the improvement program, and click Install to begin the installation.
- When the installation wizard is complete, click the Finish button. Close the Update Package window. And the installation is complete.
- Then you find the Dell Command Update application that is listed on your applications or all programs menu. Double - click Dell Command Update to open.
- It is recommended you select the Default settings, then click the OK button.
- Click the Check button to allow DCU to interrogate your computer and identify any needed updates for the computer.
- Depending on the current state of your computer, you may have multiple updates or one update. Select Recommended updates and click Automatically restart computer (when required), then click the Install button.
- Once all the updates are installed (there may be multiple restarts), click the Close button. Your computer should now be up to date.
Additional Tips of Using Dell Command Update
- On the left side of the main screen of Dell Command Update application, "Update History" can be checked to verify which updates have been installed to date.
- You can use the settings icon (the little gear icon in the upper right corner) to set up a schedule to help keep your computer constantly updated.
- You can export a complete report of all current driver firmware, and BIOS versions by selecting "System Information" on the left side of the main screen.
Possible Issues of Using Dell Command Update on Windows 11
This tool is a great helper for Dell users, allowing you to automatically update drivers, BIOS and firmware on your computer. But some Windows 11 users reported that they also had some issues using Dell Command | Update to download drivers or install updates to their computers.
“I've got the latest build 22000.120 of Windows 11 installed and operating perfectly on an Inspiron 27 7700 AIO. However for some reason, the Dell Update feature will not load. It hangs for sometime and then disappears. The icon stays in the tray but literally is inoperable. Any clues anyone?”
Additionally, some users reported that the Dell Command Update application was not available when upgrading to the latest Windows 11. The only way to fix this is to restore the computer to a previous version and uninstall the update.
Backup Windows 11 in Advance to Avoid Any Unexpected Issues
As mentioned above, you have no idea what will happen to your computer during use. So that you can quickly get back to normal in the event of any unexpected situation on your computer, I recommend that you create a backup of your computer in advance.
AOMEI Backupper Standard stands out from many backup software because of its concise user interface and easy-to-understand operation. Let's see what powerful features it has:
- Provide 4 backup types: You can perform System Backup, File Backup, Disk Backup, Partition Backup.
- Support backup to multiple destinations: All the backup types support backing up to internal or external hard drives, cloud drives, network location and NAS devices.
- Support all PCs running Windows OS: You can use it to backup specific folders in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, etc. with equally simple operation.
Let’s see how to use AOMEI Backupper to create a system backup on Windows 11. First, download and install it on your computer. For Windows Server users, you can use AOMEI Backupper Server.
- Click "System Backup" under the "Backup" tab.
- The program will select the system and boot partitions by default as the source. And then choose a destination path to save the system backup.
- Click "Start Backup" to begin system backup in Windows 11.
✱ Options: Customize the settings based on your own needs. You are allowed to comment for system backup to distinguish it from other backups, compress the system backup image file, split large system image file into smaller ones, enable email notification to get alert after the system backup is finished, etc.
✱ Schedule Backup: You may specify the intervals in Schedule Backup to backup system automatically on a regular basis, such as Daily, Weekly or Monthly. (Event triggers and USB plug in are premium features in advanced editions)
✱ Backup Scheme: it enables you to choose backup method from full/incremental/differential backup. You can also set up rules to delete older backups automatically so that there is enough space on your backup location. Please note "Differential Backup" and "Automatic Backup Cleanup" are only supported by advanced editions like AOMEI Backupper Professional.
After reading this article, you may know how to download and use Dell Command Update application in Windows 11. The steps with pictures will let you quickly grasp how to use it. No software can be guaranteed to be 100% error free, and Dell Command Update is no exception.
Getting into the good habit of backing up your system can help you solve many problems. For example, if you find that your computer doesn't work properly after installing a new driver update, you can use a previously created backup to restore your computer to a working state. AOMEI Backupper can also be a good helper if you want to deploy Windows 11 image to multiple computers. Give this powerful software a try now!