Why Create Windows 10 System Image on Flash Drive?
Usually, you have two ways to restore Windows 10 back to normal if system failure: Recovery Partition, and the Windows 10 System image.
Hard disk has a recovery partition when Windows 10 installed, around 450MB, which stores the OS, drivers, applications, and default settings for operating system repair. Or your PC might have a recovery image designed for computer reset or refresh, which is typically 3 to 6 GB in size and stored on an independent recovery partition. The recovery partition can troubleshoot and fix the system problems, then restore your computer.
However, sometimes the Windows 10 recovery environment missing, and you could not restore your Windows 10. Now you have to create system image on USB for Windows 10 to restore Windows 10 safely, because create Windows 10 system image on internal hard disk is a risk operation.
How to Fix The Drive is Not A Valid Backup Location?
As a matter of fact, you can use Windows 10 built-in tool - Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to create a system image backup for Windows 10, but if you choose the USB drive as destination, you might find create a system image not working for USB drive and get the error: This drive cannot be used to store a system image because it is not formatted with NTFS if your USB is formated to FAT32. Even it’s formmated with NTFS, there is a chance to get the error the drive is not a valid backup location.
How to fix? Here is the solution: create a folder on your USB drive, and share the folder with yourself (your current account). And choose On a network location while choosing the destination to save the Windows 10 system image. Just do as the follows to create Windows 10 system image on USB drive:
1. Type backup and restore in Windows 10 search box, then choose Backup and Restore (Windows 7), and then click Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
2. Click the Create a system image option at the left side.
3. Select On a network location, click Select..., input the network location of your USB flash drive (\\IP\SharedFolderName, like \\192.168.0.58\My Backups) and the network credentials, click OK to save the Windows 10 system backup. Then click Next.
4. Confirm the backup settings and click Start backup to backup Windows 10 to USB drive.
Then it will create system image on USB flash drive successfully. If not, please try the following steps and run commands as administrator.
Create a folder named Refreshimage in the USB drive.
Press Windows + X key conbination on the desktop and select Windows Powershell (Admin).
Type recimg -CreateImage <USBDriveLetter>:\Refreshimage and press Enter. (change the USBDriveLetter with your USB drive letter)
Best Way to Create System Image Windows 10 on USB
If you still have problems to create system image backup on USB drive, please try the best USB image tool - AOMEI Backupper Professional, which works great with USB flash drive in Windows Vista, XP, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and it is a powerful image tool for hard disk, NAS device, external hard disk, SD card, SSD drive and more; as well as the hard disk cloning software for you to clone data safely and easily.
Please download the USB image tool 30-day free trial to have a try:
1. Connect your USB flash drive with your computer and make it can be detected, then launch AOMEI Backupper.
2. On the main interface, select Backup > System Backup.
3. Select the USB flash drive as the destination location to save the Windows 10 system image. Edit the Task Name to distinguish from other backups if you prefer.
4. Click Start Backup to create Windows 10 system image on USB drive easily.
Wait for a moment, you’ll find Windows 10 system image on flash drive has been successfully created. Then take the USB drive to a safe place.
After creating Windows 10 system image on flash drive, please create bootable media to boot the computer if the system fail to boot, then you could restore Windows 10 system image back to normal. Moreover, it allows you restore Windows 10 system image to new hard drive if the hard drive failure.
If your USB flash drive is big enough, you could create Windows 10 system image via USB plug in, which means that the program will automatically create system backup for Windows 10 every time the USB plug in, it’s quite smart.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.