Can I clone a hard drive with Windows 10 on it?
"I have a computer with Windows 10 preinstalled. But the hard drive for my computer run out of space and I want to clone Windows 10 (including OS, installed app, drivers, etc.) to external hard drive. Can I clone entire Windows 10 to an external hard drive and boot from the cloned drive? Any kindly advice will be appreciated."
No matter what your purpose is, you can clone Windows 11/10/8/7 to external hard drive effortlessly with the best disk cloning software.
Why do you clone Windows to external hard drive?
For cloninghard drive in Windows 11, 10, 8, 7, the most common reasons is to replace or upgrade old disk. Just imaging, after a long time use, your disk is old and fragile, maybe does not have insufficiant space, thereby making your computer runs slowly or it stop responding from time to time.
At this time, you may be annoyed and frustrated and want to get rid of this situation soon. The best way is to make a copy of everything on the original disk by cloning disk to larger disk. If you have higher requirements for computer performance, cloning hard drive to SSD will be a better choice, a little smaller is ok. It's said, an SSD is 10 times faster than the common HDD.
Besides, you may don't want to reinstall Windows from scratch. It deletes the old operating system, customized settings, installed programs and your personal data, etc and leave only a fresh copy of system for you. Also, you may want to use it as a backup copy to easily and quickly access your data.
What is the best software to clone a hard drive?
Speaking of the best disk cloning software, the most important thing is it can successfully clone hard drive to another one. This means it will clone everything on the original disk to another one and you can boot from it after cloning.
AOMEI Backupper Professional is worth trying if you want to copy Windows to external hard drive. And it still has the following advantages.
- Compatible with all operating system, including Windows 11, 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP.
- Supports all brands of HDDs/SSDs (eg: Samsung, WD, Seagate, etc.), whether it's MBR or GPT disk.
- Intelligent Clone: This feature ensure you can easily clone hard drive with different size, even to a smaller one. Because it only clone only used sectors to another drive.
- Edit partitions: It allows you to clone and resize hard drive size without leaving unallocated space. Also, it supports converting the destination disk from MBR to GPT disk.
- SSD Alignment: This feature is designed for SSDs to get higher performance, such as, faster reading and writing speed, longer service life.
Example: how to clone Windows 10 to external hard drive
By default, this software uses the Intelligent Clone feature to clone a hard drive. It will be ok if the target disk is smaller. But you need to be sure the used disk space of original disk is smaller than or equal to the external hard drive. If not, the cloning process will also fail, please free up your disk space first.
Then, download this software and install it on your computer.
To clone Windows 10 to external drive, use the following steps:
Step 1. Connect the external hard drive for cloning. If it's a laptop, you may need a USB-to-SATA cable.
Step 2. Open this utility, and select “Clone” and “Disk Clone” in the main page. To clone only OS, please click “System Clone” instead.
Step 3. Select the internal hard drive of Windows 10 and click “Next”.
Step 4. Select the external hard drive you prepare and click “Next”.
Click “OK” to continue this operation if you already create a backup for your important data. If not, click Cancel and backup files to external hard drive first.
Step 5. Tick "SSD Alignment" if the external hard drive is an SSD. Then, click “Start Clone” to copy Windows to external hard drive.
- Don't use external SSD or hard drive as a boot drive, because the USB-to-SATA adapter does not provide enough power supply required for boot. Therefore, please install the external disk internally first.
- Tick "Edit Partitions" to make full use of unallocated space if you are cloning hard drive to a larger drive.
- If you want to cloning hard drive without booting into Windows, you can choose to create a bootable USB and boot from it before cloning.
- For server users, from server 2003 to server 2022, please use AOMEI Backupper Server.
How to boot from cloned hard drive
After cloning Windows to external hard drive, the process is half done. All you need to do is to replace the old disk and see if your computer can boot from the cloned drive. To boot from the external HDD or SSD, follow the steps below.
Step 1. Open the drive bay. Shutdown your computer, plug out all power, remove the hard drive bay cover with a screwdriver.
Step 2. Take out the original hard drive. Unscrew the screws holding the hard drive, then take out the existing hard drive at an angle(eg: 30 or 45 degrees).
Step 3. Installed the external hard drive back into your computer.
Step 4. Change boot order after replacing hard drive and boot from it.
Turn on your computer, hit the specific key in the initial screen (usually F2 or ESC) to access BIOS, go to the boot tab and use “+” to move the external drive to the first option, then press “F10” to save the change and boot from the cloned drive.
Written in the end
With the help of best disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Professional, you can easily clone Windows 11/10/8/7 to external hard drive, whether larger or smaller. And it breaks the limitation of cloning MBR to GPT disk without losing data and vice versa. In addition, it can fix unallocated space left after cloning and further improve the performance of SSD disk.
Besides, this utility still provides users with many useful features. Thus, you can use it to create system backup, incremental backup, dissimilar hardware restore, create bootable USB, mirror folder to network drive, etc. Why not give it a try right now?