Backing up system is to create an exact copy of your drive including your personal data and Windows files. This backup allows you to setup your computer exactly as you want it and then restore it back to that state when it starts to exhibit problems or when you want to bring computer back to earlier date. Considering all devices to save the backup image, USB drive is a great option since it’s convenient and cheap. However, there are odds that users can’t backup system to removable USB drive. How such problem is generated? Is there any way to fix it? Please stay calm and we’ll answer those questions for you one by one.
Why can’t backup system to removable USB drive?
It’s not rare that users can’t backup system to USB location, and the usual situation is that they disappointedly discover their USB drive is not recognized after connecting the USB drive to a Windows PC or another through a USB a port. Therefore, once we solve the USB drive not recognized error, we almost solve the problem - can’t backup system to removable USB drive. Now, we should understand the possible reasons:
1. USB drive is damaged physically due to frequent plug in and out, high temperature and other factors. Or virus attack USB drive.
2. The drive letter assigned to USB drive has been already occupied by another drive in the computer, which will prevent your USB drive from being recognized by this computer as an available storage device. (Change drive letterwith AOMEI Partition Assistant.)
3. The operating system used in computer is excessively simplified.
4. USB drive is disabled in CMOS for the safety of computer in public place. (Enter CMOS -> find USB device from related setting items in motherboard -> change the state from disable to enable)
5. USB driver is not installed properly.
6. The power supply of USB port is not sufficient.
7. Manufactures of the newly installed USB device used unconventional flash memory chip and technology to make the flash drive. (Go to manufacturers’ official website to download the latest USB driver package or find the original CD driver.)
Except those problems of USB itself, a tool may lead to the system backup job fail, for example, Windows Backup and Restore cannot backup system to FAT32 drive while all removable USB drives are FAT32. Therefore, we’d like to introduce you a professional backup software - AOMEI Backupper to guarantee the success of system backup.
How to backup system to removable USB drive Successfully?
AOMEI Backupper is a free and professional backup software, which supports all Windows editions including Windows 7/8/8.1/10/Vista/XP of both 32bit and 64bit. In addition, it has no limitations as of Windows Backup and Restore.
Step1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Select “System Backup” under “Backup” tab.
Step2. System Backup will automatically include the system related partitions in “Step1”. You need to click “Step 2” to select USB drive as destination location.
Step3. Click “Start Backup” to create system image on USB.
In a word, to solve the problem - can’t backup system to removable USB drive, there are two things should be for sure. One is to make sure your USB drive is recognized by computer and another is to find a professional software as AOMEI Backupper.