What Ghost Hard Drive Means?
Ghost hard drive has different meanings. Sometimes, it means a phantom hard drive in your File Explorer, which actually does not exist. It probably because you have browsed an external Mac drives with HFS+ partitions in your Windows computer, Windows updates, other reasons. This situation may be annoyed and affect your experience.
To some extent, it also means backup or image the hard drive to an image file to other locations to protect your data. Windows 10 has two backup software you could use to ghost hard drive easily: File History, Windows Backup and Restore. Here, we will show you the best way to deal with ghost hard drive in Windows 10 computer.
How to Remove Ghost or Phantom Hard Drive in Windows 10?
If you are trying to remove ghost or phantom hard drive in your Windows 10, you could follow the following steps:
1. Run command prompt as administrator;
2. Then type the commands in turn:
list volume (here shows you the list which volume has letter)
select volume X (X is a volume number when you want to remove)
remove letter=Z (Z is a selected volume letters, run the command to remove the ghost hard drive letter instead of partition.)
3. If that works, restart to check if it is solved.
2 Ways to Ghost hard drive in Windows 10
If you are just want to ghost Windows 10 hard drive to another destination to protect your data safety, here are two solutions for you:
Solution 1: Backup with File History
It’s better for you to backup hard drive to external hard drive or network location. Here is how to ghost hard drive in Windows 10 with File History:
1. Select Start-> Settings -> Update & Security -> Backup -> Add a drive.
2. Then choose an external drive or network location for your backups.
Besides, you could use Windows Backup and Restore to backup your hard drive, it’s quite easy. Please note that the external hard drive or USB flash drive should be formatted with NTFS file system to save the system image of a drive.
Solution 2: Ghost hard drive in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper
As the best free Windows 10 ghost software – AOMEI Backupper Standard, it’s more flexible and reliable to use. AOMEI Backupper Standard is available for Windows Vista/XP/7/8/8.1/10 to backup the entire hard drive, operating system, or individual partition as you want. First of all, you have to download it first:
Before that, prepare an external hard drive or network location to store the hard drive ghost file. Here are detailed steps to ghost hard drive in Windows 10 with AOMEI Backupper:
1. Execute AOMEI Backupper Standard to open the main interface, choose Backup tab and Disk Backup.
2. Click + Add Disk button to choose the hard drive to ghost, and tick Add. Even multiple hard drives, you could choose all of them at the same time.
3. Choose the external hard drive or network location to save the Windows hard drive ghost file.
4. Select Start Backup>> button to ghost hard drive in Windows 10.
The image file of ghost hard drive in Windows 10 created by AOMEI Backupper suffix with .adi. You could restore the image file to the original location or perform dissimilar hardware restore if required.
Whatever, let ghost hard drive in Windows 7/8/10 be your part of life when something happens, it would save your life, protect your important images, work documents, business data, and other files from losing data.