Windows 10 Backup and Restore
Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Windows 10 as a Microsoft Windows component inherits the functionality of Windows 7, which allows you to backup and restore files as well as create system images. If you backup files or create system image with Backup and Restore in previous version of Windows, you could still recover these backups in Windows 10.
In addition, Windows 10 also includes another backup and recovery tool - File History, it only backs up versions of your files in the Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC.
If you want to backup other files that in other locations with File History, you can move it to one of these folders then backup it up. The best two destinations to save the backups are external hard drive (such as USB flash drive) and network location.
Quick Navigation of Windows 10 backup and restore:
Create A Full Backup in Windows 10
This way will create backup for all your data files and Windows 10 operating system. Let’s have a look at the details.
1. Type “Backup” in Windows 10 search box, select “Backup Settings” in the pop-up list.
2. Choose “Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)” at the Looking for an older backup section.
3. Click “Set up back-up”.
4. Choose a destination to save your backup image. Here we choose “Save on a network” and then input the network path(IP address), user name and password, and hit “OK” to choose the network as destination.
5. Choose “Let Windows choose (Recommended)” or “Let me choose”, and press “Next”. (here is the recommended way)
6. Click Save settings and run backup after reviewing the backup settings.
Wait for a couple of hours, the Windows 10 system backup and data backup will be finished. Or you may want to create a system image for Windows 10 manually.
Windows 10 Restore from Backup
1. After you have backed up, you can choose “Restore my files” at Restore option.
2. Select the backup for files and folders to restore, go “Next”.
3. Choose a location to restore your files.
4. Click “Restore”.
Windows 10 Backup Failed Error and Solutions
However, you may get Windows Backup failed error with Backup and Restore in Windows 10, like the following errors:
The backup application could not start due to an internal error: A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Error code: 0x80042302
A shadow copy could not be created. Please check “VSS” and “SPP” application event logs for more information. Error code: 0x81000019.
Solution 1: Enable Volume Shadow Copy
The volume shadow copy service error 0x80042302 may be caused by VSS disabled. So, please enable the Volume Shadow Copy service.
1. Please enter services.msc in Windows 10 search box to open Services window.
2. Scroll down to find the Volume Shadow Copy, and double click it.
3. Change the Startup type from Disabled to Automatic.
Then it will be solved quickly.
Solution 2: Restart SPP (Software Protection) Service
To restart the SPP service, please refer to the following steps:
1. Press Windows + R to open run dialog.
2. Type regedit, then press Enter
3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\sppsvc in the left pane
4. Click on the sppsvc folder, then double-click on Start. Change the Value data to 4 and press OK to disable the SPP service.
5. And then change the Start Value data to 2 (automatic) to restart SPP service.
By the way, restart the SPP service, you could also fix the SPPsrc.exe uses too much CPU problem.
Then try to create a Windows 10 backup now to check if it is solved.
However, you may meet other backup failed error like There was a failure in preparing the backup image of one of the volumes in the backup set. (0x807800C5), The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002), Windows 10 backup disk cannot be found (0x80780081), etc. Just find other Windows 10 backup failed solutions here.
Reliable Way to Perform Windows 10 Backup and Restore
If you still can’t fix the Windows 10 backup failed error, you may try another professional yet free Windows backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard to backup Windows easily and restore it quickly in the event of system failure. It’s highly recommended by millions of users due to its reliable performance and easy to use features.
As the best free Windows Backup and Restore alternative, AOMEI Backupper Standard is designed for Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 (32-bit & 64-bit) to backup Windows operating system, entire hard disk, partition(s), personal files, clone hard drive to SSD to speed up your performance, clone your data partition to other location, etc.
Please download the Windows 10 backup and restore software and have it a try:
Create a Windows 10 System Image
Just follow the below steps to do Windows 10 backup:
1. Perform AOMEI Backupper Standard, select Backup > System Backup in turn.
2. Choose the destination to save the Windows 10 system backup file.
3. Press Start Backup >> to create a Windows 10 system image.
After the Windows 10 system image created successfully (30 minutes or more, depending on your data capacity).
Restore Windows 10 OS from the Backup
If your computer is suffering from the system failure now, please create a WinPE bootable rescue media and find the Windows 10 system image created before. you could boot your computer with the bootable media, AOMEI Backupper will automatically running on your computer. And follow the following steps to perform Windows 10 restore from backup:
1. Click Restore at the left side, and choose Select Image File.
2. Select the Windows 10 system backup image and hit Next >>.
3. Tick the Restore this system backup option and hit Next.
4. Press Start Restore to do system image recovery in Windows 10.
5. Click Finish after the process reaches 100%.
If your hard disk shows you the low disk space, you could clone smaller disk to larger disk without reinstalling Windows and programs, as well as get more free storage space.
In the End
Find the best free way to perform Windows 10 backup and restore operation to safeguard all your files, Windows operating system, installed programs, personal files.
Moreover, You could try more advanced features in AOMEI Backupper Professional, like command line backup/restore/clone, dynamic disk/volume backup/restore/clone, restore OS to dissimilar hardware computer, migrate Windows 10 to SSD to speed up your performance, encrypt the backup image, Image Deploy Tool, etc.
For server users, you can choose AOMEI Backupper Server for sever backup.