Does Windows 10 have a backup utility?
Backup utility is necessary for users to protect their data and system, which makes an exact copy of them and you can restore them back quickly in the disaster. In Windows 10, you can find two free backup software in the backup settings, namely, "Back up using File History" and "Look for an older backup".
And there is a backup option called "Choose the right backup options for you", which suggests you use modern backup options, like cloud backup, file history backup, not limited to old backup and restore in Windows 7.
Besides, you still can try third-party backup software, AOMEI Backupper Standard, for example. The following will introduce in detail.
|File History||Backup and Restore (Windows 7)||AOMEI Backupper Standard|
|Usage and Compatible System||Windows 10 file backup utility, first introduced in Windows 8 and inherited in Windows 8.1/10/11.||
Windows 10 file and system backup software, original in Windows 7 and still keep in Windows 8/10/11.
|All-in-one backup software for system/disk/partition/files, suitable for Windows 11/10/8/8/7/XP/Vista|
|Backup Items||back up Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, and parts of the AppData folder. backup specific folders are supported.||backup operating system, installation files, settings, installed apps and all your personal files.||Backup any files you want, selected partition, system partition and entire disk.|
|Schedule Backup||From 10 minutes to daily. Backup files hourly by default.||From daily to monthly. Every Sunday at 7:00p PM by default.||From daily to monthly, and you can set backup date, time and intervals. And more premium features.|
|Recovery||Restore a complete history of your files in the user folder.||Restore individual files or system you back it up.||Restore file, system, disk, partition. dissimilar hardware restore and selective file are supported.|
Worth-trying Windows 10 backup software: which is the best?
You can clearly see the differences between Windows 10 backup utilities and choose them based on backup items and other options. It pretty much looks like this below.
- To backup users folder, you can use all of them.
- To backup system or disk, try Backup and Restore (Windows 7) and AOMEI Backupper Standard. The previous one allows you to select other partitions on the disk while the latter one supports backing up system or disk directly.
- If you want an all-in-one backup software, try AOMEI Backupper Standard.
Honestly, Windows 10 backup software is a very popular choice for users and it indeed help you protect personal files and system to some extent. But some users report the following problem during use:
- The backup image is not easy to manage due to the Use of multiple software. You need to create a file backup with File History and complete system backup with Backup and Restore (Windows 7). And the system backup is not scheduled.
- The file history schedule backup requires the external drive connected always, but receiving the "Reconnect your drive" error sometimes.
- And when you want to backup files to another drive, but receive error like "File History doesn't recognize this drive".
- At the same time, this tool does not delete file history backup in Windows 10 automatically.
- The most obvious flaw of Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is that the latest system backup will overwrite the previous one and it cannot be restored to a different computer. Also, you may be tired of its backup speed, very slow, or even overnight.
- In addition, the backup and restore process always fail with various error messages, such as, "Windows backup did not complete successfully", "The backup failed", "cannot find a system image", etc.
All in all, if you want to backup files, system, disk or partition smoothly, try all-in-one backup software - AOMEI Backuper Standard. If you don't mind these problems, you can still use built-in backup software to protect your data.
How to easily backup and restore with Windows 10 backup utility
You should already know a lot about the built-in tools on the Internet, so I won't say much more. Here I will introduce the best free Windows 10 backup software - AOMEI Backupper Standard. It's able to backup files, system, disk, partition and then restore them. Also, you are allowed to create bootable media in case of system failure or hard disk crashes. And you can enjoy the following features in this software:
- Daily/weekly/monthly schedule backup: It supports backing up file, system, disk and partition automatically and keeps multiple backups for you. Thus, you can restore to any previous backup versions, not limited to one version.
- Incremental Backup: It's based on full backup and backup only changed files, which greatly reduces the size of backup image and disk space you will use. And usually, it's used with Schedule Backup option.
- Other useful features: You can compress your backup with normal or high compression level. By comparison, the high compressional level requires more backup time and less disk space. And you can directly leave in case of emergency if you enable email notification in this software. It will inform you of the final result in time.
Then, keep reading below to learn the detailed steps of using Windows 10 backup utility. All of them will be included.
Backup Windows 10 to external hard drive and restore using AOMEI Backupper Standard
Before you start to backup Windows 10 to external hard drive or other devices, please download this software and install it on your computer. Then, connect the external hard drive to your computer and make sure it can be detected.
(PS: The free version applies to Windows 11/10/18.1/8/7/Vista/XP. For server users, try AOMEI Backupper Server - 70$ off for 1 server. )
To create system image backup in Windows 10, launch this software, click "System Backup" and select external disk as destination path, then click "Start Backup". This software will automatically select the C: drive and boot-related partitions when creating system image backup in Windows 10.
Now you may already get a copy of your system, but this is a single backup task (also called manual backup), which will not include changes made later.
You may be very impressed and unforgettable if you have ever suffered from data loss due to forgetting to back up. To backup them continuously, set Schedule Backup in this software. You have 5 options, namely, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event trigger, USB plug in, and the last two features are available on AOMEI Backupper Professional or advance version.
Incremental backup does a big favor of saving backup time and disk space in the scheduled task. However, in the long run, your backup disk is still fulfilled and you need to delete old backup image manually or automatically.
The previous one may result in all the subsequent backups being invalid if you delete backup in the middle. In this case, you can choose to use differential backup or enable automatic backup cleanup methods in the Backup Scheme to delete backup file automatically.
Besides, this software is able to backup computer to flash drive, network drive, cloud drive like Google Drive etc.
Anyway, you have a copy of the system partition and can restore Windows 10 from backup with the following steps. Click "Restore" and "Select Task", choose a system image and destination path, then click "Start Restore". If your target disk is SSD, tick "SSD Alignment" to speed up the performance of SSD.
• If your backup is not recognized, you need to click "Select Image File" instead of "Select Task".
• If you are restoring OS to different computer with dissimilar hardware, you are supposed to use "Universal Restore (supported by professional version)", which can resolve the driver incompatibility of different computer and ensure secure boot.
If you want to restore system without booting into Windows, you can choose to create bootable media with USB or CD/DVD, or make a recovery environment to boot your computer from it. The last one is able to add a boot menu on the current computer and does not require any storage device.
How to backup and restore Windows 10 more efficiently:
Besides AOMEI Backupper Standard, you still can try specialized onekey recovery software - AOMEI OneKey Recovery. It enables you to backup system image to recovery partition or removable devices. Then, you can recover a corrupted computer without booting into Windows by "F11" or "A" key.
Backup and restore with Windows 10 file history
To automatic backup files on Windows 10 to external hard drive or network location, type backup settings and select it, then click " + " button next to Add a drive, and choose external hard drive or network drive as backup locations, finally click "More options" and "Back up now".
By default, the schedule backup interval is "Every Hour" and backup retention is "Forever". If you think that such a frequent backup will take up too much space, you can change it to a longer interval and shorter retention time. Also, you can exclude or backup certain folders by clicking "Add a folder" under related header.
To restore files from backup in Windows 10, you can type "restore files" in the search box and selecr "Restore your files with File History", use the left arrow or right arrow to find your files and click the green button to restore your files to original location. Also, you can use "Restore Previous Versions" from the context menu. It's much easier.
Create Windows 10 system image backup and then restore
To create system image Windows 10, go to backup settings and click "Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7)", then click "Set up backup" > select external hard drive > tick "Let me choose" > Tick items under Data Files > Tick system partition and other partition under Computer > tick "Include a system image backup..." and finally click "Save settings and run backup".
• The default schedule backup is 7:00PM every Sunday, and you can modify it to your preferences by clicking "Change schedule" at the last window. Also, you can click "Change settings" later at the first page of Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
• To manage backup space, go to "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" and click "Manage space", then you will see two link, namely Data file backup and sytem image, just click the button below to free up disk space.
To restore Windows 10 from backup, you need to prepare a repair disc or recovery disk and ensure you have a working system image backup. Then, restart your computer and boot from the bootable media, click "Next" > "Repair your Computer" > "Troubleshoot" > "System Image Recovery" in order, select Windows 10 and "Use the lastest available system image (recommended), finally follow on-screen instructions to finish the rest of steps.
Windows 10 backup utility is essential for you to prevent data loss and serious computer issues, such as, system crash, disk failure etc. You can use File History, Backup and Restore (Windows 7) or third-party software - AOMEI Backupper. The last one is recommended due to its all-in-one backup software.
With it, you can not only backup files and system, but also backup disk, partition. And it comes along with many practical features, such as, daily incremental backup, compression, splitting, and so on. And more premium features on the advanced version, such as, event triggers, USB plug in, backup scheme etc, please check edition comparison page.