Secure Copy and Best Alternative on Windows Server
Lear more about Secure Copy and the best Secure Copy alternative - AOMEI Backupper Server, you can then transfter files to a remote server computer with them easily.
About Secure Copy
Secure Copy is a data migration software designed by Quest Software Inc. using the secure copy protocol (SCP). During 2012-2016, Dell acquired the Quest software. Therefore, Secure Copy is also named Dell Secure Copy.
Based on BSD RCP protocol and SSH, it supports file transfers between servers over a network or NAS device. The previous protocol is responsible to transfer files and be sure it is confidential since it has the ability to prevent packet sniffers from extracting valuable info from data packets. While the SSH is to offer file authentication (eg: permissions, timestamps, NTFS security settings, ownership, etc.) and encryption.
How to Use Secure Copy to Transfer Files Remotely
To make it clear how to transfer files remotely with the help of Secure Copy, you could refer to the following guide. It applies to Windows Server 2016, 2012 (R2), 2008 (R2) and Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7. And please be sure you have administrative rights and install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or later.
1. Open Secure Copy software, click New button at the toolbar, input Job Name and hit OK.
2. Click Source to locate the source files you would like to transfer, Click Target to choose the location to save the files from the source.
3. Customize other settings for the task, like copy location, synchronization, Filter, email notifications, etc.
4. Press Run at the toolbar to perform this file transfer task with Quest Secure Copy software.
Secure Copy Failure Problems
However, you will get the Secure Copy Failure error sometimes while updating BIOS or drivers, like this, Secure Copy Failure - The Secure copy function has failed.
And there are some other limitations you should be aware of:
Some files can't show properly when using this program.
The user interface might a little challenging. Complex steps often confuse users.
Less-strong features can’t meet the various needs of users.
It does not support Windows Server 2019 and the latest Windows Server 2022 as well as Windows 11.
If you are stuck in these limitations or want to transfer files in server 2019, 2022, or Windows 11, it’s highly recommended to use the Secure Copy alternative. We will introduce you to one such software with more powerful features.
The Best Secure Copy Alternative – AOMEI Backupper
As the best Dell Secure Copy alternative, AOMEI Backupper Server is embedded with more features, the intuitive user interface and powerful features make your operations effortless. It’s specially designed for Windows Servers and PCs, like Windows Server 2003, 2008(R2), 2012(R2), 2016(R2), 2019, and 2022 and Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista. With it, you can:
- Sync files from one location to another, such as, from local computer to server computer, PC to PC, server to server, etc. Also, you can sync files to or from external hard drive, USB, network drive, or even a cloud drive.
- Select different sync methods based on directions, frequencies, and security. For directions, you can choose Basic Sync (one-way file sync) or Two-Way Sync. For frequencies, you can choose Real-Time Sync or Schedule Sync (supported in all the rest sync methods). For security, you could consider using Mirror Sync, it helps to avoid any unwanted changes in the sync destination, either modification, deletion, or newly added files.
- Sync files automatically. With its Schedule Sync, you can run sync task in daily, weekly or monthly. Besides, it still supports sync files at specific events and from or to connected USB drive automatically.
- Sync deletions or not. Some of these sync methods allow you to choose if you want to sync deletions from the source directory.
To migrate data between servers easily, please download the best Secure Copy alternative - AOMEI Backupper Server and install it on your computer. To sync files on multiple servers or PCs, try the AOMEI Backupper TechPlus edition.
How to Use the Best Secure Copy Alternative to Sync Files
To sync files to another computer, please be sure you create a shared folder on the sync destination and have the permission to access it, then do the following.
Step 1. Launch the best Dell Secure Copy alternative - AOMEI Backupper Server, choose Sync > Basic Sync afterward.
Step 2. Click Add Folder button to choose the folders that you would like to sync. Rename the Task Name if you prefer.
Step 3. Hit on the inverted triangle icon and Add Share or NAS Device.
Step 4. Type Network Path (IP address or name) and select the created shared folder on the sync destination, then hit OK to add it.
Step 5. Set other sync settings by clicking Options and Schedule Sync if you want. And then, press Start Sync >> button to sync files and folders with Secure Copy alternative easily and safely.
After transferring files to a network, files on the shared folder are identical to the folder on the source Server, including settings, attributes and so on. And you access and use it at any time.
More about this file sync software
Except for Basic Sync and Real-Time Sync, you still can try the following useful features if necessary.
✔ Mirror Sync: It is the safest sync method, so you can sync files to a server computer and ensure you always have a duplicate copy. No one can change files in the sync destination or add files to it after sync.
✔ Two-Way Sync: It is to keep the folders on the two sides (either source or destination) identical.
✔ File Backup: It creates an image file for all the files you want to transfer and requires a file restore before using it. And it still helps you save disk space with different features, such as compression, incremental or differential backup, automatic backup cleanup, etc.
✔ Cloud Backup: It integrates with a cloud drive, so you can backup files to AOMEI Cloud without installing any desktop app. And it offers you 1TB of free storage after you register an AOMEI account.
You may clearly know what is Quest Secure Copy and how to use it for remote file transfer. Since it's outdated and has many restrictions, we recommend using the best Secure Copy alternative - AOMEI Backupper Server to copy files easily and safely.
With it, you can copy files in different locations, such as sync files to another computer, sync Windows Server to OneDrive, transfer files from server to server, and more. Also, you can choose sync methods based on different needs, such as frequency, security, etc.