How do I transfer photos from iPhone to PC?
I have 50GB of photos on my iPhone. And my iPhone internal storage is running out of space. I tied to send them to my PC using iTunes, but the process always is interrupted or just didn't work out. I'm wondering how can I transfer all photos from my iPhone to my Windows 10 computer quickly.
- Question from forums.tomsguide.com
Why Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer?
We take photos every day because of the amazing shooting technology. And many Apple users want to transfer photos from iPhone 5, 6,7,8, X, XS, XR, 11, 12, 13, 14 to a computer. Here are 3 main reasons for this idea.
1. Make a backup of your photos
These photos are your precious memories and you cannot afford this loss. If you have a long-term sorting plan for your shots and want to securely save photos on your iPhone in a backup, you also need to transfer pictures from iPhone to computer.
2. Solve the issue of insufficient storage space
Your iPhone can take beautiful pictures. Everyone can enjoy excellent image quality. But, as the Photo Collections grows day by day you lose the free space on iPhone. 4k photos and HD videos on your iPhone X can occupy a good chunk of storage space.
For that matter, it is important to transfer photos from iPhone to PC. Then you can safely delete files on your phone to get more free space.
3. View photos on a larger screen
You've been taking some beautiful photos with your iPhone, and you want to be able to see them on your computer. Or maybe there's some postprocessing you want to make in photos via computer before sharing them with your friends.
How to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer?
In the following, I’ll show you some commonly used ways to import photos from iPhone to a computer. By comparison, the first one is the quickest of all methods. And it can backup photos from different devices, such as Photo Library, Photo Share, etc instead of Cameral Roll only.
If you just want to copy photos from Cameral Roll to computer, you can use the rest of 4 methods, including using AutoPlay, Windows Photos, File Explore or Windows Explore, iCloud.
Method 1. The Quickest Way to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Computer
This method uses an iPhone transfer and backup expert for Windows PC - it’s FoneTool, which can help you transfer all photos from iPhone to computer quickly. And here are some advantages for it and you can see if it satisfies your needs.
● Transfer specific photos instead of all. You can preview and select the pictures before the transfer.
● Transfer photos in different albums, including Camera Roll, Photo Stream, Photo Library, Photo Share.
● The transferring speed is very fast and the quality of photos is not degraded.
● Fully supports all the iOS system, compatible with the newest iOS 15.
Now, let’s see the detailed steps and learn how to transfer photos from iPhone 8, S, XS, XR, 11, 12, 13, 14 to computer without losing quality.
1. Launch FoneTool > Connect your iPhone with USB cable and unlock it, then enter passcode on the iPhone if you are asked.
2. Click the Phone Transfer option on the left pane. Move the cursor to iPhone to PC. Click Start Transfer button.
3. Click "+" icon to select the photos you want to transfer.
4. Select the pictures and click OK to continue.
5. Click Start Transfer to make it.
→ Note: FoneTool can also help you add pictures to iPhone. You can go to this Transfer Photos from Computer to iPhone guide to learn more.
Method 2. Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC via AutoPlay
1. Connect your iPhone to computer via USB cable, then click Trust and type the password if you are asked.
2. Then, the AutoPlay dialog box will pop up and click Import pictures and videos using Windows.
3. Click the Import Settings link, select the folder in Camera Roll’s photos by clicking Browse and click OK to exit.
4. Set up settings for Cameras and Portable Devices in the following. You can choose to add a description for your pictures or not.
5. Type description in the Tag these pictures (optional) box and click Import. After that, just wait for the final result.
Method 3. Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC with File Explorer or Windows Explorer
Windows Explorer or File Explorer is another common way to transfer photos from iPhone to a Windows 10, 8, 7 computer.
1. Connect your iPhone and unlock it. Then, click Trust to allows your computer to access your photos.
2. Go to Computer or This PC, and you see a new device named xxx iPhone.
3. Then, double-click the iPhone and open Internal Storage> DCIM folder, then preview your photos here and transfer specific photos from iPhone to computer via Copy and Paste.
→ Note: DCIM folder is the Camera Roll folder and it’s the only thing you can see in Windows 7/8/10. And there are some folders named as 100APPLE or 100Cloud, which are used to store your photos or videos. If you have many photos, you can additional folder like 101APPLE, 102APPLE, 101Cloud, etc.
Method 4. Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC with Windows Photos
Windows Photos is a built-in tool in Windows 10, which allows you to import photos from iPhone 7/8/s/xs/xr/11 to PC via a folder or USB device. Just see below and learn the detailed steps.
1. Connect your phone and unlock it. Then click Trust and type the password if you are asked to Trust this computer.
2. Click Import and select From A USB device. After that, it will automatically detect your photos on the iPhone, you just need to wait for a few minutes.
→ Note: If the Windows Photos does not pop up automatically, you can click Start and select it from the Start menu.
3. Select the photos you don’t want to import because all the new photos will be checked by default. Then, click Import Selected. After the operation is 100% completed, you can see it in your Pictures folder.
Method 5. Transfer Photos from iPhone to PC via iCloud Photos or iCloud Photo Library
1. Open your iPhone and go to Settings > iCloud's profile> iCloud, then turn on the iCloud Photos or iCloud Photo Library. It depends on the device you are using.
2. Download the iCloud for Windows app and install it on your computer. Then sign in iCloud with the same Apple ID on your iPhone. Type verification code if you are asked.
3. Tick the checkbox before Photos and select Options at its right side.
4. Then select Download new photos and videos to my PC and click Apply and Done.
To view the photos downloaded from iCloud, you can go to This PC or Computer, double-click the iCloud photos and Downloads at the right side.
How to transfer photos from iPhone to computer is not a problem anymore. Here are 5 common used methods prepared for you. This method can be applied to iPhone 5 to iPhone 12.
By contrast, the first one is the fastest and can help you transfer photos from iPhone to computer without losing quality. It is a reliable and powerful transfer tool that can also help you to transfer photos from computer to iPhone. The rest of the 4 methods are suitable for users who just want to move Cameral Roll photos from iPhone to computer. You can choose any of them according to your needs.
FoneTool Runs Perfectly on
- iOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPadOS 16/15/14/13/12/11 and former
- iPhone 14/14 Pro (Max), 13/13 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 12/12 mini/Pro (Max), iPhone 11/11 Pro (Max)
- iPhone X/XR/XS/XS Max, iPhone 8/8 Plus, iPhone 7/7 Plus, iPhone 6/6s/6s Plus
- iPhone SE (1st, 2nd, 3rd generations)
- iPod touch 1/2/3/4/5/6/7
- All models of iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad Pro and iPad