What does File Sync mean?
Syncing file is to transfer multiple files or folders to different locations, whatever email, digital photos, MP3, videos etc, and if there are any changes happen, the file sync software will sync changes from source directory to destination directory easily and quickly. The storage can be internal hard drive, external hard drive, USB flash drive, network drive, share/NAS etc.
The manual copy and paste we often use is actually a one-time synchronization, but this approach is not suitable for those who need to synchronise data over a long period of time, especially for large amounts of data.
So in order to sync files from one folder to another and update all the changes automatically, a file sync software is often required. With it, we can better cope with the following usage scenarios:
- Want to automatically copy a folder and its subsequent data changes to another location
- Working on a project with someone and need both parties to see the latest version of certain files
- Want to always keep an up-to-date copy of important data as a double insurance...
Best free file sync software - AOMEI Backupper Standard
As the best free file sync software in Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista, AOMEI Backupper Standard simplifies the sync process to 3 simple steps. Besides, it offers you the following benefits:
One-way file sync. It helps you to sync files from one folder to another efficiently. Also, it can be used together with other backup settings, such as, "Options" and "Schedule".
Schedule sync. You can set daily sync, weekly sync and monthly sync followed by a specific time. Meanwhile, all the schedule settings supports "Wake the computer to run scheduled task" to wake your computer 2 minutes before the task starts, so you can sync files at any time even without opening this software.
Various sync targets. This software supports any devices detected by Windows, such as internal/external drive, USB flash drive, cloud storage, NAS, network share, etc.
You can download the freeware and follow the tutorial below to start your file synchronization:
*There are advanced sync modes such as real-time sync and two-way sync, you can upgrade to Professional edition to enjoy them.
Example: how to sync files in Windows 10
Here take Windows 10 as an example to show you how to sync files from a directory to another directory. The following steps are also applied to other Windows OS. Also, if you want to sync files to external hard drive, please connect it in advanced.
1. Install and launch the Windows file sync software, then select "Sync" -> "Basic Sync" in order.
3 more sync modes in advanced editions:
✤ Real-Time Sync: This feature will monitor the files or folders in real-time and sync any detected changes from source to destination immediately, which is very useful when you work in a team or change files frequently.
✤ Mirror Sync: This feature will make the target folder exactly the same as the source folder, any changes and added data in the target folder will be overwritten.
✤ Two-Way Sync: Any changes in the source and target directory will be sync to the other side mutually.
2. Click +Add Folders to specify the directory you want to synchronize, then choose the destination path to store files.
3. Click "Schedule" to customize the automatic sync task, and manage "Options" as you like. After that, you can click "Start Sync".
- Options: You can enable email notification, make an comment, create a pre/post-command etc.
- Schedule: You can auto sync files daily, weekly, monthly. Also, there are 2 more useful features that are availble in Professional edition. "Event triggers" is to sync files at a specific event while "USB plug in" to sync files once the USB detected.
- Don't modify the source folder name afterwards, otherwise the program will not sync files anymore.
- By default, Basic Sync option only sync newly added files and changed files of this task to destination directory. If you want the deletions in the source directory to be reflected to the target directory as well, please enable the "sync deletions in source directory to destination" option.
- Currently, file or folder can’t be synchronized to CD-ROM/DVD/Blue-Ray.
- The single file over 4GB can’t be synchronized to FAT/FAT32 partition, because the FAT32/FAT only supports file size up to 4GB.
- For more matters needing attention about File Sync, please visit FAQ about AOMEI File Sync.
★ Bonus tip: how to backup files to AOMEI Cloud
As cloud storage is becoming more and more popular, AOMEI offers users its own cloud - AOMEI Cloud. After you sign up for an AOMEI account, you can use 1TB storage for free within 15 days. Just click Backup > Cloud Backup to backup files to AOMEI Cloud.
How to manage sync task effortlessly
With only two steps, you can finish the Windows file sync. If you want to manage the sync task, you can go to the "Home" tab. Then, you will see all the created tasks listed under the Backup Management. Select the task and click the button with three horizontal lines, then you will see several options for backup management.
Sync Now: It can synchronize all files in source folder to target folder at the moment you click the option. Usually, it is used on task that is not applied with schedule. In other word, it is manual sync.
Restore: It can restore all the synchronized files in the target folder to the source folder or other folder.
Schedule: Set a schedule setting for one single sync task. Also, you can change the schedule setting of an earlier schedule task.
Edit Sync: You can add new folder to a previous created sync task, and change destination, backup options and schedule.
Locate Sync: You can check your files or folders in the target destination.
Shortcuts: It will create an exact copy of this task on desktop and allows you to run it quickly. This is very useful for users who create a mannual sync or change files very frequently.
Delete: It will delete the sync task from the home page.
Properties: You can see general information and source of this task.
With the best free Windows file sync software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, you can sync files in Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista easily and quickly. Its schedule sync option helps you sync files automatically without human intervention, saving you much time and effort. Also, you can enable email notification to get final result for free, comment on the task for clear distinguish, etc. Don't want to lose any of your important data? Please download the software to protect your data.
Also, you can use file backup in this software to protect your data. It will backup your files or folders to an image file. It's safer, because the backed up data can only be seen after restore. In addition, it supports multiple backups, including system backup, disk backup, partition backup, scheduled backup, incremental or differential backup, create bootable media etc.