The Samsung Data Migration Software for Windows 10
Like many SSDs, Samsung has its own migrating tool for data migration from hard drive to SSD, Samsung Data Migration Software (SDM). This Samsung-proprietary software was designed specifically for Samsung SSD products and is available for any Samsung SSD products, including 470 Series, 750 Series, 830 Series, 840 Series, 850 Series, 950 Series 960 Series and 970 Series.
When purchasing any product of these Series, you’ll find a SDM comes up. Some users prefer to do fresh install on the new Samsung drive, yet most PC users would like to keep the OS and installed programs intact. Thus, Samsung migration software for Windows 10 is of great importance in cloning HDD to Samsung SSD.
Samsung Data Migration tutorial
The detailed steps of operating SDM are fairly easy actually.
1. Install and open SDM, it will scan the system for the presence of any connected storage device.
2. Click Start to begin the disk scan and diagnosis step. The rest is to follow the wizard to choose source disk and target disk. If you want to add new partition on the new SSD, try clicking the plus icon in the top right corner.
3. Then click Start. When it’s finished, shut down your system, swap out the old HDD for the new SSD, and boot up (make sure to enable AHCI in BIOS if it’s not already set up).
The only thing you need to pay attention to is to switch IDE mode to AHCI mode in BIOS. For user who is in RAID mode, just leave it alone. If you find it cannot work in RAID, you may need to reinstall the operating system for your Windows 10.
In Need of Better Samsung Data Migration Software for Windows 10
According to the Internet search result, Samsung data migration software for the EVO Series and PRO Series SSDs is the most wanted. Although SDM does a big favor in hard drive upgrading, there are some drawbacks reported on the Internet. Here are some common situations about Samsung Data Migration errors.
The software use issues. Some users say they find Samsung Data Migration not responding or not working after installing, and some users even cannot install the SDM.
The cloning process stuck. Many users complained that Samsung Data Migration stuck at 99%, 100% or even 0% in the event of cloning.
Samsung Data Migration changing source disk problem. The SDM only recognizes the hard drive that contains an operating system as its source disk and there is no option to change it. If you’d like to clone a different hard drive, it will not suitable.
SSD recognize error. Many people find that Samsung 850 EVO not detected in Windows 10. The causes are complicated and you can find corresponding fixes from the give list if necessary.
Manufacture brand compatible issue. It is known to all that Samsung Data Migration can only clone boot drive to a Samsung SSD, and will not work on other brands of SSDs such as Kingston SSDs, WD SSDs, Crucial SSDs, etc.
These are part of Samsung SSD user feedback in fact. But if you’re not luck enough and facing any situation of them, you won’t lose your mind with a “Plan B” in hand.
The Best Samsung SSD Data Migration Software for Windows 10
AOMEI Backupper Professional is a reliable and mighty migrating tool that helps you transfer all contents from old storage including MBR and GPT disks to the new Samsung SSD. To be specific, this software allows you to clone hard drive to smaller Samsung SSD as well as larger one without interrupting since it supports sector-by-sector clone, hot clone and intelligent clone.
When it comes to clone, you have options to do Disk Clone or System Clone. System Clone feature allows you to move only operating system drive and boot related drives to Samsung SSD. When you’re not clone a hard drive in bit-by-bit mode, you can edit partitions on destination Samsung SSD.
For advanced users, AOMEI Backupper also provides a way to clone hard drive from command prompt, which can assist you do unattended tasks. Creating bootable media (USB drive or CD/DVD) to clone hard drive without loading Windows is also available.
Besides, if you don’t have an USB-to-SATA cable, this software allows you do Samsung Data Migration without cable in Windows 10. Go for it and have a try. Next part will introduce how to use Samsung SSD 850 EVO migration software in Windows 10 step by step.
Step by Step Guide: Samsung Data Migration in Windows 10
1. Install Samsung SSD to your PC and make sure it can be recognized by Windows.
2. Install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Go Clone and then Disk Clone.
3. Select your hard drive as the source disk.
4. Select Samsung SSD as the target disk.
5. Now you have entered into the final page. Check "SSD Alignment" box in the lower left corner to improve its reading and writing speed. You can edit partitions on Samsung SSD there before you start if the need ever arises. Finally, click Start Clone to execute the operations.
6. Replace old hard drive with the cloned Samsung SSD after cloning. Or, you can just change boot priority to cloned drive.
Tips: For laptop users, it is suggested to replace hard drive via backup and restore method to increase boot success. For more information with screenshots, please refer to Samsung laptop SSD upgrade kit.
Steps in this Samsung data migration software are also simple, even a computer novice can handle well. As a matter of fact, AOMEI Backupper is great backup solution as well. For example, you can keep this software installed to protect your PC when Windows 10 backup not working.