Samsung SSD didn’t come with cable
“Just bought a Samsung SSD 850 EVO but there is no USB cable inside when I open the box. I’d like to clone my current hard drive to this Samsung SSD so that I don’t need to reinstall the operating system, applications and software as well as configure system settings from scratch. The problem is that it is not convenient for me to contact Samsung Support currently, nor purchase an SATA-to-USB cable by myself. Just wondering is there any way to perform Samsung SSD data migration without cable?”
SATA-to-USB cable is a very useful tool in data migration. It allows you to connect destination disk to your machine externally. That is helpful if your laptop has only one disk bay. Nevertheless, what you can do if there is no USB cable to assist?
Three methods to clone HDD to Samsung SSD without SATA-to-USB Cable
As a matter of fact, there are two ways available for cloning HDD to SSD without cable. One way is, just install the Samsung SSD to the computer motherboard case as the secondary storage if you’re running Windows on a desktop. In addition, some advanced laptops such as Dell Studio 17 and HP Pavilion dv7 or Envy 17 are embedded with two hard drive bays. Install the Samsung SSD to that extra disk bay and start cloning directly.
Clone to Samsung SSD without cable via Samsung Data Migration
If the Samsung SSD also brings you Samsung Data Migration (SDM), try this method.
1. Shut down your PC, and open the computer case or laptop back cover. Install the Samsung SSD properly. It is suggested to Google detailed steps with screenshots if you have no idea about that.
2. Turn on your PC after installation. Make sure the SSD can be detected by Windows. If not, please refer to Samsung SSD not detected in Windows 10. Install and run SDM.
3. Click Start at the first interface.
4. Verify the source disk and the destination disk at this page. Clone only one partition to Samsung SSD is also available in this step. Click Start then.
5. All data on the destination disk or partition will be lost. Confirm the warning and click Yes. The cloning process will start immediately. Wait for the process completes.
6. When the message “The data on the Source Disk has been successfully cloned to your Samsung SSD” appears, click Quit, and shut down your PC. You can change boot priority to the cloned SSD in BIOS, or remove the source disk directly to test the booting.
That could be the most effective way in cloning hard drive to Samsung SSD without a USB cable. Yet, it is only when the cloning carries on successfully. Some users complain that they get Samsung Data Migration stuck on 99 percent or 100 percent. What’s worse, some Samsung SSDs don’t bring a data migration tool. In those cases, it is a wise move to turn to a different data migration utility.
Fix Samsung SSD no USB cable with free software
AOMEI Backupper Standard is free backup software that supports Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, both 32bit and 64bit. It allows you to clone entire disk or a certain partition to Samsung SSD with Disk Clone or Partition Clone feature. Clone large drive to smaller one is also available. Try this free alternative to Samsung Data Migration now.
1. Install Samsung SSD to your PC or laptop. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper.
2. At the main interface, select Disk Clone under Clone tab.
Note: This version only supports cloning system disk from MBR to MBR. If you want to clone system disk GPT to GPT, GPT to MBR or vice versa, you could consider upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
3. Select the HDD as the source disk.
4. Select the Samsung SSD as the destination disk.
5. Preview the operation. Check "SSD Alignment" box since the target disk is Samsung SSD. Configure other settings if needed. Finally, click Start Clone.
6. Replace hard drive with Samsung SSD after cloning, or just change boot order in BIOS.
"Edit Partitions": you can adjust partition size before cloning.
Sector by sector clone: it requires destination disk is equal or larger than the source disk. By default, AOMEI Backupper will clone only used part of the source disk.
Both methods are simple to follow. Nevertheless, what if you cannot install the Samsung SSD to the machine directly? For instance, you’re cloning HDD to Samsung SSD on the laptop that has only disk bay. What can you do to transfer all data successfully without reinstalling?
Solve Samsung SSD data migration without cable with another way
In terms of data migration, cloning is not the only way to follow. Therefore, the other way is to perform backup and restore to achieve the goal.
AOMEI Backupper is also a great backup utility which embeds with System Backup, Disk Backup and Partition/Volume Backup. Incremental backup, differential backup and full backup are available as well. However, only full backup is necessary in this task. To perform the task, please prepare following things in advance.
A USB flash drive to make bootable media. It is used to boot your laptop when it has an empty Samsung SSD installed.
A place to store backup image. Shared folder, external hard drive, USB flash drive, or cloud drive will be OK. Just make sure you can access the backup image when you start the PC with WINPE bootable media.
Now, let’s learn how to realize data migration in a different way.
1. Connect the storage that used to store the disk image to your computer. Install and launch AOMEI Backupper.
2. At the main interface, click on Backup and then Disk Backup.
3. Here you can edit Task Name for distinguishing. Then click “Add Disk” to select the disk you want to backup, usually, the disk that contains your operating system. Then, choose a location as the destination path to save the disk backup. With "Options", you can password encrypt the backup image or compress backup image.
4. Click Start Backup after the configuration.
5. Connect the USB flash drive to your computer after completing the disk backup. In AOMEI Backupper, click on Tools and then Create Bootable Media.
6. Choose the WinPE option. It will detect if your computer has Windows AIK installed. If not, download and install one. Then, follow the wizard to complete the creation.
7. Remove the external storage (if any) and USB flash drive and then shut down your laptop. Replace the internal hard drive with Samsung SSD. You may want to remove battery first.
8. Insert the bootable USB flash drive to your computer and start it. If you stored disk backup on external storage, connect the storage as well. You’ll see AOMEI Backupper once the computer logs in.
9. Click on Restore -> "Select Task" or "Select Image File".
11. Confirm the operation and click Start Restore.
Tips: if you backup computer and restore the image to a different PC, please refer to Dissimilar Hardware Restore in AOMEI Backupper Professional.
Samsung SSD Data Migration without cable can be realized in different ways. You can choose the one that is most suitable based on your own situation. AOMEI Backupper also supports backup Windows to USB flash drive. Download to experience more.