About M.2 solid state drive (SSD)
M.2 SSD is a solid state drive, known as the Next Generation Form Factor (NGFF), which is especially designed for small devices like Ultrabooks or Tablets. Here are some features of it.
- Has smaller size, high-performance, lower consumption.
- More flexible to use with many board size options.
- Support PCIe, SATA and USB interface.
Why clone M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD drive?
Here are 3 main reasons in the following why do you want to clone M.2 SSD to another M.2 SSD.
Get larger capacity. Typically, the brand computers will install an M.2 SSD drive as boot disk, however, it will be filled up eventually after a long time use. So you may want to clone M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD drive to expand disk space.
Get better performance. You may find that your computer run smoothly at first, but it will get slower and slower after a period of time. That is because your computer does not have enough space and you need a bigger M.2 SSD.
Replace the damaged disk. Owing to many unexpected error, such as, virus, hardware failure, your disk may be corrupted. In this situation, clone failing hard drive to prevent data loss and replace the old disk with the new one could be the best choice.
Then, you may want to know which is the best free M.2 cloning software? Please keep reading to learn more.
The best free M.2 SSD cloner - AOMEI Backupper
To be honest, there are so many M.2 drive duplicators you can find on the Internet, but it’s difficult to distinguish which one is the best. Here, It's strongly recommended to try the free M.2 clone software - AOMEI Backupper Standard, because its advantages are in the following.
How to clone M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD in Windows 11/10/8/7
Below text, we will describe to you how to clone SSD to M.2 for free with the best M.2 SSD cloner. The overall operation steps are divided into two parts.
#1. Preparations before cloning M.2 SSD
- Check if your computer has an M.2 connector. Usually, it’s a horizontal slot about an inch wide labled with “PCIe” or “SATA” or both. If there is, please prepare an M.2 SSD drive, preferably bigger.
- Prepare an M.2 clone adapter if you want to clone M.2 SSD with only one hard drive slot in your computer. Then install and initialize new M.2 SSD in Disk Management.
- Set the PCI Express X4_3 Slot Bandwidth to “M.2 Mode” and Storage Boot Option Control to UEFI in BIOS, or your computer cannot recognize the M.2 SSD as a new storage device.
- Your Windows computer installed the smaller M.2 SSD.
- Free download the M.2 drive duplicator - AOMEI Backupper Standard.
#2. Steps to clone M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD
Now, see below and learn the detailed steps to clone M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD with M.2 cloner in Windows 11/10/8/7.
1. Connect the larger M.2 SSD to your computer via M.2 clone adapter and make sure it can be detected. Open the M.2 SSD clone software to enter its main interface after the installation. Select Clone > Disk Clone in turn.
2. Choose the smaller M.2 SSD drive as the source disk to clone, go to Next.
3. Select the larger M.2 SSD as the destination disk, go Next.
4. Tick SSD Alignment to optimize the performance for M.2 SSD disk and click Start Clone to perform M.2 clone safely with M.2 SSD cloner.
Besides cloning M.2 to M.2 with free M.2 cloning software, You have another way to get everything transferred: AOMEI Backupper allows you to backup M.2 SSD drive to external hard drive, then restore disk image to larger M.2 SSD with WinPE bootable media created by AOMEI Backupper (or under AOMEI Backupper Recovery environment).
How to boot from the cloned M.2 SSD
After cloning M.2 SSD to M.2 SSD, you may need to boot from the cloned M.2 SSD. If you don't know how to make it, please refer to the following steps:
1. Remove the mounting screw from the M.2 slot and take out the old M.2 SSD.
2. Plug the new M.2 SSD into the slot and pay attention to the notch.
3. Secure the M.2 SSD with the mounting screw removed earlier. Then, replace the back panel.
4. Start your computer and press the specified key in the initial screen (eg: F2, ESC) to access BIOS, then make sure that the PCI Express X4_3 Slot Bandwidth is M.2 mode and Storage Boot Option Control is UEFI. After that, save the changes and exit BIOS.
Now, you could boot from the cloned M.2 SSD drive and use your computer as normal.
In the end
To clone M 2 SSD to M 2 SSD effortlessly, you need a great M.2 SSD cloner like AOMEI Backupper. It could not only clone hard drive with secure boot, but also improve the performance of your computer. On its advanced version, you are allowed to adjust the partition size of destination disk and fix the cloned hard drive show wrong size.
If you want to protect unlimited PCs and Servers, you could consider using AOMEI Backupper Technician Plus to enjoy more advanced features, like command line utility to backup/restore/clone, migrate OS to SSD, restore to dissimilar hardware computer, delete old backup images after exceeding the backup number to retain, etc.