User case: how to transfer SSD to SSD
How to move everything from one SSD to another?
Recently, I got a new computer but immediately filled up the SSD with files and programs. Now, I'm dangerously low on disk space. Therefore, I intend to replace the current SSD with a larger one. But I just want to keep the files, games and the OS on the SSD. So, I'm wondering if I can move all the things including files, programs, and OS from one SSD to another?
Why move files and OS from one SSD to another?
SSDs come with better read/write and startup speed than HDDs, as well as higher pricing at the beginning. As a result, many users have purchased SSD with small capacity (125/250/500 GB) for budgetary reasons. The cumulative files and programs can easily fill up the disk, resulting in insufficient storage space and slow computer operation.
Nowadays, SSDs have become increasingly popular and affordable with the development of technology. So in addition to capacity considerations, many users also want to replace their SSD with a more advanced model for better experience, such as cloning SATA SSD to NVMe.
In this case, a new drive with better capacity and performance would be an inevitable choice. But if you don't want to abandon your data on old SSD, or spend much time reinstalling Windows and apps, you may need to transfer files and OS from SSD to a larger SSD directly.
Two ways will be described in this page:
How to transfer data from one SSD to another effortlessly
It is easy for you to transfer a small number of data files by the copy and paste method. But when it comes to large groups of files, various programs, and even the complex operating system, things won't be that easy.
If you still take the manual copy and paste way, your computer may fail to boot due to some hidden files missing. Therefore, you need a professional clone software like AOMEI Backupper Professional to help you move a large number of files from one drive to another efficiently, and copy programs, games and OS correctly.
Best disk cloning software for SSD and HDD - AOMEI Backupper
AOMEI Backupper is a reliable SSD disk migration software for Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10/11. It enables you to transfer all data from one SSD to another easily and securely.
How to transfer SSD to another SSD step by step
Connect the target SSD to your computer and make sure it is detected.
Download SSD cloning software - AOMEI Backupper. Install and launch it.
*This version supports Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10/11. If you are a Server user, you can try another version - AOMEI Backupper Server.
1. Select "Disk Clone" under the "Clone" tab.
2. Select the original SSD that you want to clone as the source disk, and then click on "Next".
3. Choose your new SSD as the destination disk, and then click on "Next".
4. Tick “SSD Alignment” to accelerate the read and write speed of the SSD disk. Then, click "Start Clone" to begin cloning one SSD to another. Optionally, click "Sector By Sector Clone" to ensure data integrity.
✎Tip on disk space management and disk partition styles:
You can also use the "Edit Partitions" feature. It helps you to resize partitions with different options and convert the disk type for the destination disk if is different from souce disk.
- Copy without resizing partitions: It's the default resize option and will not extend unallocated space on the larger SSD.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will add unallocated space to all partitions and the process is automatic, so you don't need to do anything.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space manually by selecting a partition manually and drag the unallocated space to left or right side.
- Convert the destination disk from MBR to GPT: It is to convert disk type of destination from MBR to GPT or vice versa, and it depends on the disk type of source and destination disk.
How to move files from one SSD to another in Windows 10 for free
If you want to transfer data from one SSD to another for free, you can also turn to the powerful backup and restore features that are included in AOMEI Backupper Standard - the free edition.
As a free backup and restore tool, it can help you transfer all data including OS from SSD to SSD by backing up the old disk and restoring it on new drive. And you still can schedule backup disk to ensure data safety if you don't need to transfer it immediately Connect your SSD to the computer and follow the steps below to restore the backup image on SSD.
1. First of all, you need to create a hard drive image with AOMEI Backupper Standard. It is suggested to save the disk image on a USB drive or network location to ensure the image's safety.
2. In the "Home" tab, select disk backup task and click "Restore" option.
3. You can choose to restore entire disk or a partition in the disk, and click "Next".
4. Select connected SSD as the destination disk. Confirm the operations and click "Start Restore".
The above ways show you how to move files and OS from one SSD to another with AOMEI Backupper. Whether you clone drive to smaller SSD or larger SSD, this software can help you achieve it with only a few clicks and ensure secure boot.
In addition, AOMEI Backupper applies to clone all kinds of SSDs, such as clone HDD to Samsung SSD, clone HDD to Seagate SSHD, clone NVMe to another NVMe, etc.