How to move everything from one SSD to another?
“Recently, I got a new computer but immediately filled up the SSD with files and programs. Now, I'm dangerously low on disk space. Therefore, I intend to replace the current SSD with a larger one. But I just want to keep the files, games and the OS on the SSD. So, I'm wondering if I can move all the things including files, programs, and OS from one SSD to another? Thanks in advance for your kindly reply.”
Why move files and OS from one SSD to another?
Due to the high price of SSDs, you might buy an SSD with a small capacity like 125 /250 /500 GB for the first time. However, with time going by, there are so many files and programs on your computer that the space for the compact system partition is insufficient.
If you don’t want to abandon your files on old SSD and spend much time reinstalling the OS and all necessary applications on the new one, you may want to transfer files and OS from SSD to a larger SSD directly.
How to move files and OS from one SSD to another effortlessly
It is easy for you to transfer a small number of files by the copy and paste method. But what if there are large groups of files, various programs, and even the operating system? If you still use the copy and paste method, your computer may fail to boot due to some hidden files missing.
Therefore, you need a professional clone software like AOMEI Backupper Standard, which can help you move a large number of files from one drive to another efficiently and copy programs and OS correctly.
Free disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free and reliable SSD disk migration software for Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10/11. It enables you to transfer data from one SSD to another easily and securely.
- With the Disk Clone feature, all files on the source drive including the programs and operating system will be copied to the destination drive, so you can keep them on the new drive without reinstallation.
- There is a feature called “SSD Alignment” in this software, you can tick this feature to improve the reading and writing speed of SSDs.
- This software supports "sector by sector clone". This feature can help you clone all the sectors on a hard drive that can guarantee the integrity of cloned data.
- After cloning, you can boot from the cloned SSD successfully.
How to clone one SSD to another step by step
Connect the target SSD to your computer and make sure it is detected. If you want to make your computer run faster, cloning boot drive to NVMe SSD will be a great option.
Download SSD cloning freeware - AOMEI Backupper Standard. Install and launch it.
1. Select Disk Clone under the Clone tab.
2. Select the original SSD as the source disk that you want to clone, and then click on Next.
3. Choose your new SSD as the destination disk, and then click on Next.
4. Tick “SSD Alignment” to accelerate the read and write speed of the SSD disk. Then, click Start Clone to begin the process.
✎Note: "Edit Partitions" feature allows you to resize partitions manually when you clone a small disk to a larger disk.You can upgrade to paid vesions to enjoy this feature.
Another way to move files from one SSD to another via AOMEI Backupper
Actually, AOMEI Backupper Standard is also a free backup and restore tool. It can help you transfer all data including OS from SSD to SSD by backing up the old disk and restoring it on new drive. Connect your SSD to computer and follow the steps below to restore the backup image on SSD.
1. First of all, you need to create a hard drive image with AOMEI Backupper Standard.
2. In the "Home" tab, click "Restore" option of a corresponding backup task.
3. You can choose to restore entire disk or a partition in the disk, and click "Next".
4. Select connected SSD as the destination disk. Confirm the operations and click "Start Restore".
If your system crashes or disk fails, you can use Create Bootable Media to make a Windows PE bootable USB or CD to start up computer and then perform disk image recovery.
You can tick the Universal Restore option if you transfer the disk image to a new computer, thus ensuring the system is bootable after recovery (this feature is only available in AOMEI Backupper Professional).
The above ways show you how to move files and OS from one SSD to another with AOMEI Backupper. No matter you clone drive to smaller SSD or larger SSD, this software can help you achieve it with only a few clicks and ensure secure boot, and its professional features like “SSD Alignment” and “Edit partition” provide a lot of convenience for you.
In addition, AOMEI Backupper Standard still applies to clone all kinds of SSDs, such as, clone HDD to Samsung SSD, clone HDD to Seagate SSHD, clone NVMe to another NVMe, etc. Note that this version only supports Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10/11. If you are a Server user, you can try another version - AOMEI Backupper Server.