How can I Clone 128 GB SSD to 256 GB SSD?
"Hey, guys. I just bought a 256GB SSD drive to upgrade my old 128GB SSD, to transfer everything including programs and OS on it, I want to do a disk clone. Is there any good SSD cloning software? And I have to keep the 128GB SSD drive in the laptop while cloning, but where do I put the 25GB SSD drive? Do I have to buy an external case, and if so, what kind?"
Honestly, cloning is the easiest way to clone smaller SSD to larger SSD of all sizes, not only clone128GB SSD to 256SSD, but also clone 256GB SSD to 500 SSD, clone 256GB SSD to 1TB SSD, clone 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD, and more. But there are things you need to pay more attention to:
- A reliable and powerful SSD cloning software.
- Way to connect the new SSD for cloning.
- Safe boot.
Don't worry about them much and I'll introduce you to these things below. Please continue to read this article and clone 128GB SSD to 256 SSD with a safe boot.
Why Clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD?
SSD as a high-speed hard drive is used to install OS to gain a faster speed and shorter boot time. And many manufacturers do so, to save cost, the computer usually comes with a 128GB SSD drive, but as time goes by, you will find that it can't meet your demands anymore due to the lower free space, slow response, application corruption, and other problems.
So it is an urgent task at this point to clone SSD to larger SSD, from 128GB to 256 GB, 500 GB, 1 TB SSD, etc. Here we summarize some common reasons:
✍ Keep your computer in high performance. Except for SSD performance itself, you still need to be sure there is enough space on it, then your computer can run very smoothly, just like getting a new one.
✍ Avoid reinstalling Windows and applications. The cloning method will transfer everything on the 128GB SSD to a new SSD including the OS, installed programs, drivers, settings, personal data, etc. So you don't need to do a reinstallation and have more time to do some valuable things.
✍ Replace outdated SSD disk. The speed of hardware updates like SSD is so rapid nowadays. So if your computer's built-in SSD drive is coming to an end, you may want to replace it with a new one.
Reliable and Powerful SSD Cloning Software - AOMEI Backupper Professional
If you are looking for software to clone a smaller SSD to a larger SSD with a secure boot, AOMEI Backupper Professional is worth trying. It supports all the editions of Windows 11, 10, 8, 8.1, 7, XP, and Vista (32-bit, and 64-bit) and can handle the entire cloning process very well. To be specific:
- Clone everything on the 128GB including the Windows operating system, partitions, and other critical data, etc.
- Clone smaller SSD to larger SSD of different sizes, such as clone128GB SSD to 256SSD, clone 256GB SSD to 500 SSD, clone 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD, and more. It is also applicable to clone large HDD to smaller SSD.
- Clone all brands of SSD disks, for example, clone SSD to larger SSD Samsung, clone SSD to larger SSD WD, etc.
- Clone MBR and GPT with a safe boot. It gives you a choice to convert MBR to GPT or vice versa while cloning MBR and GPT disk, from 128 GB to 256GB. Also, it will intelligently keep the disk partition style, for example, clone 2TB MBR to 3TB GPT.
- Clone and resize SSD disks to enjoy full capacity. It allows you to resize the partition size on the destination disk, and be sure there is unallocated space left at the end of the disk.
To get started, please download and install the reliable and powerful SSD cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Professional.
4 Steps to Clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD
Note the Clone features in this free trial can only be demonstrated, please upgrade to enjoy. If you are not sure, you can do it yourself and check the preview effect.
Before cloning clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD in Windows 10 or 11, you need to be sure of the following things:
- How to put the new SSD in a computer for cloning? It depends on the type of your computer. For the desktop, you can directly connect it to a drive bay. Please be sure you have a SATA cable and a power cable. For the laptop, you need an enclosure or adapter.
- How to make a new SSD usable? First, check if it is initialized in disk management. If not, please initialize disk to MBR or GPT first. Then, create one or more partitions on it.
- How to clone SSD disk without losing data? You need to be sure the new SSD does not contain any data. If it has, please backup files to external hard drive before cloning.
Then follow the detailed steps to clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD in Windows 10 easily and safely.
Step 1. Launch AOMEI Backupper after installing. On the main interface, click the Clone tab, and then select Disk Clone.
Step 2. Select the 128GB SSD drive as the source disk, then hit Next.
Step 3. Choose the 256GB SSD drive as the target disk to save all content from the 128GB SSD drive. Please press Next to go on.
Step 4. Tick SSD Alignment to optimize disk performance for new SSD. To enjoy full capacity after cloning, click Edit Partitions and select Add unused space to all partitions or Manually adjust partition size. Then, confirm the preview effect and click Start Clone to clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD in Windows 10 or 11.
How long the cloning process will take? About 30 minutes or so. And It depends on the data size on your source 128GB SSD drive, the larger the data size, the longer the time costs.
Once finished, shut down your computer, take out the original 128GB SSD drive then replace it with the 256GB SSD as your system boot drive, then boot your computer as normal.
★ Other ways to clone 128GB SSD to 256GB SSD:
- Use backup and restore method: Apart from disk cloning, you could backup the 128GB SSD to external hard drive, then boot your computer with the WinPE bootable media, then restore the disk image to the 256GB SSD.
- Use the system clone feature: If you just want to move Windows installation from one SSD to another, clone Windows 10 to SSD, for example, try System Clone instead. You just need to select the new SSD and set cloning settings, then click Start Clone.
It’s easy to clone 128GB to 256GB SSD and boot from the cloned SSD successfully with the help of AOMEI Backupper Professional. It supports all brands of SSDs and clones SSD disks of different sizes, for example, clone Samsung 256GB SSD to 500GB SSD. And it takes care of the disk space and performance issue.
Besides, you could only migrate OS to SSD if the destination SSD is smaller than your source SSD. If your computer has a built-in HDD, you can also replace HDD with SSD using the above steps. And you could use it to create a system or disk backup in a full backup, incremental or differential backup mode, and perform a system or disk restore, even dissimilar hardware restore.