A situation to clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD
Provided that you have such a situation: “you just bought a 250GB SSD and you want to migrate Windows OS and all applications from your primary hard drive. Your primary HDD has a total capacity of 500GB and is partitioned, but only 193GB of it are used.”
First for sure, your SDD is a great upgrade for hard disk since Windows, application and games will be faster on an SSD. Considering the way to transfer the 193GB data scattered in different partitions from larger HDD to smaller SSD, you can create HDD image and then restore the backup image to the SSD, but this requires another device to save the image and should be a tricky operation. To easily upgrade your disk from larger HDD to smaller SSD without re-installing system and programs, you could use a third party software as AOMEI Backupper to clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD.
The free software - AOMEI Backupper
Generally speaking, disk clone creates an exact copy of the original disk so that you should make sure the destination disk is the same size or larger than the original one. Luckily, the above situation shows that the used space of the 500GB HDD is 193GB which is no more than 250GB of your SSD, in this situation, the free software AOMEI Backupper can achieve to clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD since the SSD have enough space to hold data on the HDD which is the only requirement of it when clone larger HDD to smaller SSD.
How to clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD?
1. Download, install and launch AOMEI Backupper. Select “Disk Clone” under “Clone” tab.
Note: This version only supports cloning disk with the same partition tyle, such as, cloning GPT disk to GPT disk. If you want to clone GPT disk to MBR or migrate MBR disk to GPT, you could consider upgrading to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
2. Select the 500GB HDD as source disk, then click “Next”.
3. Select the 250GB SSD as destination disk, then click “Next”.
4. Check the option “SSD Alignment” to achieve the best performance of the SSD. Then click “Start Clone” to begin to clone hard drive to SSD.
5. (Optional) If you just cloned system disk to SSD or new hard drive, you have two methods to ensure secure boot. The first method is to shut down your machine, disconnect current hard drive and keep only cloned disk connected in Windows 10 and then boot. The second one is to reboot your PC and enter into BIOS to change the boot priority to the cloned disk.
As long as the 250GB SSD have enough space to hold data on the 500GB HDD, you can use AOMEI Backupper to easily achieve to clone 500GB HDD to 250GB SSD. Even though the SSD is not big enough to save all data, you can use AOMEI Backupper Professional to clone only OS to SSD. Besides, cloning process will be running in the background so that it won’t interrupt your using of PC.