Need to Clone 2TB HDD to 1TB SSD Disk
"My 2TB hard drive is about to failing and I’ve purchased a 1TB SSD to replace it. Plan to clone only used portion of the 2TB HDD (about 470GB) to the SSD. I have tried shrunk the 1.8TB volume size in Disk Management but failed. I’ve tried one cloning software but it does not support copy to smaller disk. Is there any professional tool that could clone only used space of the 2TB drive effectively? Thanks."
This is a post on moving data from 2TB drive to new 1TB SSD so the user needs to clone large HDD to smaller SSD. To let partitions well fit, many users try to shrink partitions, delete useless files, or uninstall unnecessary programs to decrease used space. However, most of them fails to migrate all the same. Why?
Similarly, some users want to copy 2TB disk to a disk that is even smaller than 1TB. For example, they may want to clone 2TB HDD to 500GB SSD drive. The destination disk becomes smaller which seems like making the task more complicated. Well, what are the main concerns that a user clone 2TB hard drive would have?
Concerns on Cloning Larger Disk to Smaller One
In general, there are many aspects that a user may pay attention to in cloning. But followings are on the top of the list.
Disk capacity. The main concern would be whether or not the partitions on the source disk could well fit the destination disk. Some partitions are even larger than the entire destination disk. It is quite hard to make them fit all.
Secure boot. The boot issue is also important after cloning a drive. Some cloning tools may not be able to clone all partitions to SSD. For instance, missing clone the UEFI partition or other boot related drives.
User-friendly. Many users have less computer experiences and are afraid of the complicated operating process for it may become an error-prone process too. Also, they may worry about the follow-up works of cloning like replacing old hard drive.
Other issues. The cloning software usability, applicable operating systems, hard disk adaptability, etc. may also the problems users worried.
After the list of concerned issues of cloning large drive to smaller drive, you may wonder if you could clone a 2TB drive to a 1TB SSD. Absolutely, the answer is Yes. Let’s see how to clone hard drive with different sizes on Windows operating systems.
How to Clone 2TB HDD to 1TB or 500GB SSD with Ease?
AOMEI Backupper Professional is reliable and dedicated cloning software that designs for Windows OS only. With which, you can clone hard drive in different sizes. Here are some highlights of this software.
1. Clone large drive to smaller. While cloning 2TB HDD to 1TB or even 500GB SSD, you can clone with its Intelligent Clone method, i.e. copy only used space of the source disk to the destination.
2. Edit partitions while cloning. By default, the partitions will be automatically adjusted during the cloning process, so no need to worry about the disk capacity issue. However, you still have options to enlarge or shrink partitions, or change file system or partition label before start.
3. Create bootable disc. You are allowed to make a bootable USB drive or CD/DVD disc in order to clone hard drive without booting Windows. Operation time will be shorter and many potential troubles would be saved that way.
4. OS migration. It would be a wise choice to keep OS on SSD and data on HDD if you’re using a desktop computer. Then, the System Clone feature will help you. The old hard drive can be used as a secondary storage.
5. MBR & GPT compatible. It allows you to clone from GPT disk to MBR disk or vice versa successfully. No need to convert partition styles between each other.
6. User-friendly interface and all Windows OS supported. Includes Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, XP, Vista.
Important: The destination disk should accommodate all used space of the source disk. Otherwise, the cloning process may fail or be completed with corrupted data.
Detailed Steps: Clone 2TB HDD to 1TB SSD
1. Install or connect the 1TB SSD to your machine. You may need USB-to-SATA cable on a laptop. Make sure the SSD can be detected.
2. Install and run AOMEI Backupper Professional on your PC. Click Clone and then Disk Clone.
3. Select the 2TB HDD as the source disk.
4. Select the 1TB SSD as the destination disk.
5. On the summary page, check the option “SSD Alignment” to improve the performance of SSD. Click Start Clone. Go grap a cup of coffee, and wait for it to be completed.
Tips: you can adjust partition size or change drive letter by clicking “Edit partitions”. There are 3 available options, including, Copy without resizing partitions, Add unused space to all partitions, Manually adjust partition size. However, when cloning from large drive to smaller drive, the first option will be unavailable.
6. Shut down you PC on the completion. Change boot order in BIOS or replace the 2TB HDD with the 1TB SSD to boot from the cloned drive.
Tips: “Sector-by-sector Clone” will clone every sector to the destination so it requires the destination disk is equal or larger than the source disk. Do not check this option in this situation.
In a few cases, you may find the cloned SSD refuses to boot. The reasons are various in different situations, but you can refer to this article for help: cloned hard drive or SSD won’t boot. See if you’re in one of those troubles.
1. Can I clone 1TB HDD to 500GB SSD?
Yes. You can follow above steps to clone from 1TB hard drive to 500GB SSD easily. No technical skills required.
2. Does cloning a hard drive copy the OS?
If you have operating system installed on the selected drive (source disk), in a “Disk Clone” operation, the OS will be cloned to the target disk. Normally, cloning a hard drive clones everything on the disk.
3. How do I make a cloned SSD bootable?
To boot from a cloned drive, first you need to make sure there is operating system installed. Secondly, set it to the first boot order in BIOS. You may need to change UEFI from/to Legacy if you clone between MBR and GPT. Still, a hard drive can’t start may result from various factors. Check out the provided link to find out more.
You see, it is quite easy to clone 2TB to 1TB SSD with one comprehensive cloning utility since it takes care of all issues you may concern. As a matter of fact, you can clone 1TB HDD to 2TB SSD by repeating above steps.
After cloning hard drive, it is suggested to keep AOMEI Backupper Professional installed. The cloning software is also reliable backup software which provides you robust backup solution. Let it help you protect your computer in all-round.