User Case: Acronis True Image Hangs When Cloning
Acronis True Image Cloning - Stuck on Less than 1 Minute
“I've been running the cloning all day, as it errored last night and I had to wipe the SSD clean and start over. I'm on Windows 10 x64, cloning a 1TB SATA to a 1TB SSD to speed up my laptop. I booted my laptop, opened True Image, selected Clone from the tools and selected "Automatic". I've been stuck on "less than 1 minute" for nearly seven hours now. What is going on???”
- Question from Acronis Forum
Acronis True Image is a software product produced by Acronis that provides data protection for personal users, its functions include backup, archive, access and recovery. As a powerful disk imaging software, you can use Acronis True Image to clone to SSD and other drives.
However, sometimes users encounter some problems while using the software. Above is the problem that users encounter when Acronis True Image hangs during cloning. This article will introduce the possible causes of this problem and the corresponding solutions. Read on if you are interested!
How to Fix Acronis True Image Cloning Problems
As in the cases above, users often meet that Acronis clone stuck processing. The following are some of the common problems collected in the forum and the solutions given by professionals:
- Such as stuck on “Calculating time remaining”, “Less than 1 minute”, etc. This situation often happens when you plan to clone a hard drive on your laptop. Cloning a hard drive in the laptop to an externally connected drive may cause the system to not work properly, so it is not recommended. It is recommended to put the new drive in the laptop first, and connect the old drive via USB.
- There is another situation that can cause the Acronis True Image cloning process to stop at 80%-95%. The real reason is Acronis cannot clone some hidden partitions under normal conditions. To avoid this problem, you can create a bootable rescue media. It will boot the system outside of Windows and allow Acronis to clone the hidden partitions.
- Other users have gotten stuck while cloning an M.2 SSD with a short message "Locking drive C:", after which it stays in the ready state. For this case, it is recommended that you do not migrate the data from the old SSD to the new one via cloning, but use the backup and restore function. It is best to create a Windows PE version of Acronis Rescue Media and boot the PC from it to perform the recovery, making sure to use the UEFI boot mode operating system required for NVMe M.2 drives when booting Windows.
- There is also a situation where the user encounters Acronis in clone mode where the clock hangs and goes round and round, but the program never returns to the "Proceed" step. The only way to regain control is to go to Windows Task Manager and end the Acronis program. If this is what you are experiencing, your best option is to use the rescue media to boot and then perform a clone.
Create a Bootable Rescue Media When Acronis True Image Hangs
Steps to create a bootable rescue media via Acronis True Image 2020 are as follows:
Step 1. In the Tools section, click Rescue Media Builder.
Step 2. Choose media creation method. Here I click Simple as an example. Click here if you choose Advanced.
Step 3. Select a destination for the media. You can select CD/DVD, USB flash drive, ISO image file, WIM image file. Finally, click Proceed.
Turn off the Secure Boot Option When Acronis True Image Restart Is Required
This situation often happens when users want to clone to WD SSD. WD SSD does not come along with disk cloning software, so many users turn to Acronis True Image WD edition to replace hard drive. When you encounter this problem, you can turn off the Secure Boot option to solve “Acronis computer restart is required”.
Step 1. When your computer starts up, you can press Delete key to enter into BIOS in common situation. (Some computers may require pressing F2 or F12, you can check the computer's motherboard specification or computer’s user manual for detail.)
Step 2. After that, you can find “Secure Boot” option in BIOS (usually under “Security” or “Boot TAB” option).
Step 3. After turning off “Secure Boot”, press F10 to save the setting and exit BIOS.
The above two problems are only a small part of the Acronis True Image cloning problems, there are many other problems, such as Acronis not recognizing WD HD/SSD, Acronis True Image WD edition installation restricted. If you don't want to be bothered by these problems anymore, I recommend you to use the free software below.
Clone Disks Smoothly with Acronis True Image Alternative
AOMEI Backupper Standard is a free disk cloning software. It’s the best alternative to Acronis True Image. You can use it to clone your disks without encountering any problems and boot successfully from the cloned disks. In addition, it allows you to create a bootable media that will start your computer in case something unexpected happens to it. This software can be your first choice for cloning hard drives for the following reasons.
If you want to clone a hard drive to another hard drive or SSD, you can follow the graphic tutorial below.
Step 1. Download AOMEI Backupper Standard, install and launch it.
Step 2. To clone a hard drive to SSD, select "Disk Clone" option under the "Clone" tab.
Step 3. Select the Source Disk that you want to clone, and then click "Next".
Step 4. Select another drive or SSD as Destination Disk where you want to clone source disk to, and then click "Next".
Step 5. Confirm the settings, and then click "Start Clone". Tick "SSD Alignment" to improve the disk performance if it is an SSD disk.
👉 Helpful features for cloning:
👉 And it's suggested to use the last feature if you are in one of the following situations. It helps you resolve them completely.
#1: The cloned drive not show full capacity.
By default, all the cloning software makes an exact copy of the source disk, as a result, the clone drive does not show full capacity after cloning. If the target disk is larger, please try the following 3 options in the Edit Partitions. And the last two options are available on the Professional version.
- Copy without resizing partitions: It will not resize the partition size.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will reallocate the unallocated space to each partition of the target disk, appropriate for the disk size.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space to any partition on the destination disk you want.
#2: The cloned drive not bootable after cloning.
One of the biggest reason is the destination and source disk has different partition style and you don't convert them to the same before cloning. In this situation, you can simply check Convert the destination disk from MBR to GPT or vice versa, depending on the disk partition styles of them.
Both MBR and GPT are two different disk types for data storage. And you can check its disk properties in Disk Management if you don't know clearly. The overall steps are below:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window. Then, type diskmgmt.msc and hit OK to open disk management.
- Then, right-click the disk you want to clone and select Properties in the pop-up window.
- In the Properties window, select the Volume tab and confirm the partition style. It can be MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- Similarly, check the disk partition tyle of the destination disk. If it is still MBR, you can clone hard drive from bootable USB for free. To clone GPT to GPT (eg: clone NVMe to NVMe), MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR, try professional version.
That Acronis True Image hangs when cloning seems to be a problem that Acronis users often encounter. There are many reasons for this problem. The solution in different scenarios will be different. Finding these solutions will be very troublesome. However, if you turn to the FREE software—AOMEI Backupper, you will not encounter any Acronis True Image cloning problems. It supports you in cloning different types of disks without any problems and ensures that you can boot from them successfully.
In addition to being a powerful disk cloning software, you can also use its backup, synchronization, and recovery functions. If you want to fix the problem of WD Sync not working, OneDrive sync pending, please use its Basic Sync feature. Use this software to protect your data now!