Error: Macrium Reflect clone drive failed
Macrium Reflect is a cloning and imaging tool that can help you move data or system from one hard drive to another without reinstalling Windows. But there is a small chance that Macrium Reflect clone failed with an error message. The following is an example:
I'm trying to move a smaller old HDD to a new SSD. I keep getting an error when I'm close to done (95%+): error 9: error code 1117, I/O device error.
In addition to error 9 in the above case, you may also receive read failed 13 broken pipe, failed to create volume snapshot, 0x8000ffff, permission denied, read failed 22, write failed 22, invalid argument, disk not found, verify file system failed, error 8, error 0, etc.
Reasons for "Macrium Reflect clone failed"
Every error has its cacuse. If Macrium clone failed with error 0, errro 8, error 9 and so on, you may consider the following reasons:
1. The cable connection between the drive and computer is not proper. This is the most simple reason for Macrium Reflect clone error. To exclude this possibility, you need to check the cable connection and clone it with Macrium again.
2. The storage device had bad sectors. If there is an bad sector on either source disk or destiantion disk, you will receive this error when it encounters the bad sector during the cloning process.
3. The target disk has file system error. If the destination disk has a corrupted or damaged file system, you cannot clone disk with this software successfully.
4. Antivirus software is enabled and it prevents Macrium Reflect from cloning. To ensure the security of your computer, the antivirus software may refuse to clone the system files on the disk and then the process failed.
Next, you need to try the given methods below and find the one work for you. Before that, you need to create a file backup for your personal data in case something unexpected happens.
5 Effective Solutions to "Macrium Reflect failed to clone"
According to the possible reasons, I'll offer you some solutions. You can try them one by one and check if it works for you.
Fix 1: Check bad sectors via chkdsk command
Macrium Reflect error 0 or error 8 is very likely caused by bad sectors, so you can check the disk for bad sectors first. If the error is related to read data, you should check the source disk. If it's related to write data, check the destination disk.
1. Press Windows + R key and type “CMD” in a Run box to bring out a command prompt.
2. Type “chkdsk [drive letter]: /f”. If you want to check H: drive, then you should type: “chkdsk H: f”
3. Type “chkdsk [drive letter]: /r”to repair the found error.
Fix 2: Clean destination disk via clean command
If the hard drive or SSD you are trying to clone to has corrupted file system, you may also encounter "Macrium Reflect free clone failed". To resolve the problem, you can wipe out the destination disk before cloning.
1. In the command prompt window, type “diskpart”.
2. Type “list disk” to show all the disks connected to your computer.
3. Type “select disk [disk number]” to select the destination hard drive.
4. Type “clean all”
Fix 3: Create a Macrium rescue media to clone
Some program may prevent you from accessing the source drive. Booting your computer from Macrium rescue media will eliminate all the other programs’ impact.
Fix 4: Create image backup instead of clone
If Macrium Reflect failed to clone from rescue media, you may consider doing an image backup instead of cloning. You can backup pc to an external hard drive or NAS network location, and then restore the image to your new hard drive or SSD. In this way, the system and other data will all be transferred to the new disk and remain bootable.
Fix 5: Try Macrium Reflect alternative: AOMEI Backupper Standard
If you are unlucky and unable to fix "Macrium Reflect clone to smaller/larger drive failed" by the above means, or you don't want to spend much time on troubleshooting, you may consider another powerful yet free disk cloning software, AOMEI Backupper Standard.
- It offers Partition Clone and Disk Clone to help you clone selected partitions or entire disk with simple clicks.
- It runs intelligent clone by default to skip unused and bad sectors, which allows you to clone larger drive to smaller drive, or even clone failing hard drive.
- You can also choose sector-by-sector clone mode to clone every bit of data entirely.
- All editions of Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP are supported.
Free download AOMEI Backupper to have a try now!
👉 If you want to avoid unallocated space after cloning to larger drive, you can upgrade to advanced versions like AOMEI Backupper Professional to adjust partition size on the destination disk. You can also convert the partition style of the target disk using the Pro edition.
- Copy without resizing partitions: It will not change the partition size.
- Add unused space to all partitions: It will reallocate the unallocated space to each partition of the target disk, appropriate for the disk size.
- Manually adjust partition size: It allows you to extend unallocated space to any partition you want on the destination disk.
- Convert the destination disk from MBR (GPT) to GPT (MBR): It helps to convert MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR without booting issues when cloning disks with different partition styles.
👉 The free version only supports cloning system disk between two MBR disks. Please upgrade to the professional edition and then clone GPT disk to GPT, MBR disk to GPT, or GPT disk to MBR.
So, now the question is what is MBR or GPT and how do I differentiate between them?
MBR and GPT are two different disk types for data storage. And you can check the disk properties in Disk Management. The overall steps are below:
- Press Win + R to open the Run window. Then, type diskmgmt.msc and hit OK to open disk management.
- Then, right-click the disk you want to clone and select Properties in the expanded menu.
- In the Properties window, select the Volume tab and confirm the partition style. It can be MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table).
- Similarly, check the disk partition tyle of the destination disk. If it is still MBR, you can clone hard drive for free.
👉 If your system disk is so badly damaged that it does not boot properly, you can create a bootable media on a functioning computer with the same OS, and then boot the computer with the problematic disk installed from it to complete the disk cloning in WinPE. Likewise, you can backup important files on the disk in WinPE to avoid any unwanted data loss.
Wrapping things up
This article provides 5 solutions to help you fix Macrium Reflect clone failed (like error 0, error 8, error 23, etc.). You can try the first 4 solutions, and if all of them don't work, try a different disk cloning software to solve this problem once and for all.
By using it, you can clone all kinds of HDDs and SSDs, regardless of disk brands and interfaces, such as Samsung, Intel, WD, SanDisk, SATA, M.2, etc. Thus, you are able to clone Windows 10 to new hard drive, clone system from one Intel SSD to another, clone HDD to Samsung SSD, transfer Windows 10 to NVMe, etc. And it can further accelerate the performance of SSD by 4k technology. For more, please download this software to enjoy.