Errors you might receive
Macrium Reflect is a cloning and imaging tool that can help you move data or system from one hard drive to another without reinstalling Windows. There is a small chance that Macrium Reflect clone failed with an error message.
The error may be 13 broken pipe, failed to create volume snapshot, 0x8000ffff, permission denied, read failed 22, write failed 22, invalid argument, disk not found, verify file system failed, error 8, error 9, error 0, etc.
Reasons for "Macrium Reflect clone failed "
Every error has its cacuse, "Macrium Reflect failed to clone" is not an exception. Here, I'll list some possible reasons in the following.
1. The cable connection between the drive and computer is not proper. This is the most simple reasons for this error. To exclude this possibility, you need to check the cable connection and clone it with Macrium again.
2. The storage device had bad sectors. If there is an bad sector on either source disk or destiantion disk, you will receive this error when it encounters the bad sector during the cloning process.
3. The target disk has file system error. If the destination disk has a corrupted or damaged file system, you cannot clone disk with this software successfully.
4. Antivirus software is enabled and it prevents Macrium Reflect from cloning. To ensure the security of your computer, the antivirus software may refuse to clone the system files on the disk and then the process failed.
Next, you need to try the given methods below and find the one work for you. Before that, you need to create a file backup for your personal data in case something unexpected happens.
Solutions for "Macrium Reflect failed to clone"
According to the possible reasons, I'll offer you some solutions. You can try them one by one and check if it works for you.
Fix 1: Check bad sectors via chkdsk command
If the error is related to read data, you should check the source the source disk. If write data, check the destination disk.
1. Press Windows + R key and type “CMD” in a Run box to bring out a command prompt.
2. Type “chkdsk [drive letter]: /f”. If you want to check H: drive, then you should type: “chkdsk H: f”
3. Type “chkdsk [drive letter]: /r”to repair the found error.
Fix 2: Clean destination disk via clean command
That the hard drive or SSD which you are trying to clone to has corrupted file system may also lead to "Macrium Reflect free clone failed". You can wipe out the destination disk before cloning.
1. In the command prompt window, type “diskpart”.
2. Type “list disk” to show all the disks connected to your computer.
3. Type “select disk [disk number]” to select the destination hard drive.
4. Type “clean all”
Fix 3: Create a Macrium rescue media to clone
Some program may prevent you from accessing the source drive. Booting your computer from Macrium rescue media will eliminate all the other programs’impact.
Fix 4: Create image backup instead of clone
If Macrium Reflect failed to clone from rescue media, you may consider doing an image backup instead of cloning. You can backup pc to an external hard drive or NAS network location, and then restore the image to your new hard drive or SSD. In this way, the system and other data will all be transferred to the new disk and remain bootable.
Fix 5: Try Macrium Reflect alternative: AOMEI Backupper Standard
AOMEI Backupper Standard is free hard drive cloning software that allows you to even clone failing hard drive. It supports Windows 10/8/7. If you want to clone GPT disk to MBR or vice versa, you can try the advanced version, such as, AOMEI Backupper Workstation, AOMEI Backupper Server, etc.
You can also create a bootable disk using a DVD or USB flash drive and then boot from the bootable disk to clone the hard drive. By default, the program will skip bad sector to make sure the clone go smooth. With its graphical user-friendly interface, a hard disk clone can be easily done.
After selecting the source disk and destination disk, it enables you to adjust partition size (supported on the Professional version), so it will not leave unallocated space after cloning.
If you have already fixed "Macrium Reflect clone failed", you are very lucky. If not, there is a possibility that your hard drive is seriously damaged. You need to backup data from coorrupted hard drive before it is completely failed. You may want to download this free software and have a try.