About Western Digital Drives
Western Digital (WD) is one of the largest hard drive manufacturers around the world, and their internal and external disks are widely used on many popular name brands of computers such as HP, Acer and so on, both laptop and PC.
Some types of Western Digital hard drives are quite popular among users, for instances, WD Blue 4TB drives are famous for best capacity, and WB Black 6TB drives are known as best speed. Also, if you're looking for the best budget, the WD Blue 1TB drives might be your best choice.
Thus, hot words, for example, Western Digital clone, are often discussed by different kinds of users.
Free Western Digital Cloning Software
Cloning disk means copying everything on one disk including the operating system, configuration settings, applications, and personal data to another hard drive you desire. You may need to clone hard drive when you want to upgrade the old disk to a new one, replace the small hard drive with a larger one, transfer the drive to a smaller one, or make a duplication of your hard drive for the emergent environment.
No matter what the motivation is, it matters less. What matters most is to choose comprehensive free Western Digital SSD clone software to achieve the goal and get peace in mind.
Fortunately, you can try all-in-one yet free disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard.
It provides powerful features for you. You can not only clone disk but also clone partition/volume.
You are allowed to create disk image for your hard drive and there are three levels of image compression for your choice.
This WD cloning software supports Windows 7/8/8.1/10/XP/Vista.
Feel free to download AOMEI Backupper Standard on your PC.
How to Perform WD Drive Clone in Windows 7/8/10?
The target hard drive should be connected to your PC properly. Normally the WD SSD migration tool AOMEI Backupper could recognize the new disk, yet in some cases when the disk is not detected correctly, it is highly suggested to initialize the new WD drive to MBR or GPT in Disk Management.
The destination hard drive will be overwritten, so backup important files if you don’t want to lose them.
Take WD clone HDD to SSD for example, the step-by-step guide listed below:
1. Install and launch the free disk clone software - AOMEI Backupper Standrad. Select Disk Clone in the Clone tab.
2. Select the Western Digital hard drive (HDD) as Source Disk.
3. Select the larger SSD as Destination Disk.
4. Check the SSD Alignment option to optimize for the SSD’s reading and writing speed and it’s lifespan. and then click Start Clone to confirm Western Digital hard drive clone.
The steps are applied to clone data disk or system disk.
✍ Helpful Tips:
1. This WD cloning software only clones the used space (the used sectors) by default. If you want to clone deleted data, check Sector by sector clone to clone all sectors from source disk, whether they are used sectors, blank sectors, or bad sectors.
2. If you are cloning smaller disk to larger disk, it’s highly recommended to tick Edit Partitions option to fully use the storage space on your destination disk.
There are three options available and the last two features are only available on the AOMEI Backupper Professional or other advanced editions
Copy without resizing partitions (Do not do any changes).
Add unused space to all partitions (The cloned partitions will be automatically re-sized to fit the entire destination disk, according to the disk size).
Manually adjust partition size (Manually adjust the partition size and location by dragging a slider bar).
3. This free version of AOMEI Backupper only supports cloning system disk between the same partition style, such as, cloning GPT disk to GPT disk, cloning MBR to MBR disk. If you want to clone MBR to GPT disk or clone GPT to MBR disk with OS installed, please upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional.
4. This WD disk cloning software will help you to clone larger drive to smaller drive as long as the smaller drive could store all the data from the source larger disk.
How to Make the Cloned System Disk Boot Successfully?
If you just cloned system disk, you have two methods to ensure secure boot.
1. Shut down your machine, disconnect current hard drive using screwdrivers and keep only the cloned SSD connected and then boot from the cloned SSD.
2. Reboot your PC, and repeatably press a certain key (F2, F10, F12, DEL, or ESC, etc. Depending on your manufacturer) to enter into BIOS, then change the boot priority to boot from the cloned SSD.
The free WD disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard allows you to clone the entire hard drive in only four steps. Apart from disk clone, you could also do other operations with those useful utilities. For instance, Create Bootable Rescue Media for disaster recovery, Windows 7/8/10/XP/Vista backup system, or Windows 10 backup boot disk. Meantime, do Automatic/Schedule Backup, Incremental & Differential Backup, File Sync etc.
If you want to protect unlimited computers within your company, you can pick AOMEI Backupper Technician. With the inbuilt AOMEI Image Deploy tool, you are also allowed to deploy/restore system image file on server-side computer to multiple client-side computers over network.