"My Windows Server 2003 fails to start because of system files damage! How to repair Windows Server 2003 when system files are corrupted? Do I just need to boot with Windows Server 2003 CD and choose Repair your computer?"
How to repair Windows Server 2003 system files?
A system file in computers is a critical computer file. Without it, a computer may not operate correctly. These files may come as part of the operating system, a third-party device driver or other sources. And it’s located in a system folder that cannot be deleted even through the use of permissions.
However, these system files also may be damaged for some reasons such as viruses or bad sectors. If your system files were damaged and your Windows Server fails to start, you could try the methods below to repair your system files.
Method 1: Use Expand.exe at a command prompt
1. Insert your Windows Server 2003 installation disc into your CD/DVD drive. Change the boot order in BIOS, and press F10 to save changes and restart your computer.
2. When the message “press any key to start from CD or DVD” shows up, press a key and Windows Setup screen will pop out.
3. Select language and other preferences, and click “Next”.
4. Click “Repair your computer”.
5. Click the operating system that you want to repair and click “Next”.
6. Click “Command prompt” in the System Recovery Options page.
8. Type: expand -r and press Enter
EXAMPLE: expand –r D:\i386\sfc.dl_ %systemroot%\system32
Method 2: Use the System File Checker tool
1. Enter Command prompt as shown in the above method.
2. Type “sfc/scannow” in the command window and press Enter.
3. Then, the system will automatically scan the integrity of all protected system files and repair the incorrect one by itself.
Method 3: Check and fix the system boot record
1. Enter Command prompt as shown in the first method.
2. Input the following commands in turn and press enter after each:
3. After the scanning and repair process is finished, you can restart your computer to see if you could enter the desktop successfully.
How to protect your Windows Server 2003 system files?
System files damage may cause system crash sometimes. Then, you have to reinstall your system. Therefore, you’d better create a system backup in advance. With a system backup image in hand, you can restore it easily without losing data and reinstalling system.
To backup your system, a reliable software like AOMEI Backupper Server is necessary. It is a professional backup software that can help you backup system with only a few steps. And you could backup system to other destinations such as external hard drive, network, USB, etc.
In addition, there are many useful features that can save you much time and effort. For example, you can set up automatic system backup like Daily/Weekly/Monthly backup, incremental backup and differential backup in “Schedule”. Meanwhile, this software also supports restore, so you can restore the system image once there is something wrong with your original system.
Now, download AOMEI Backupper, install and launch it. Then, follow the detailed steps below to backup your Windows Server 2003 system files.
1. Select the "System Backup" option under the "Backup" tab.
2. The software will automatically select system and boot related partitions for you. Here, you just need to select a destination path to store system image.
3. (Optional) You may configure backup schedule and scheme based on your needs.
a) You can click on “Schedule” to select Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Event triggers/USB plug in backup at the General tab or Incremental/Differential backup under Advanced tab.
b) You can click on "Scheme" to select one kind of deletion mechanism to delete old backup images automatically.
4. Finally, click the "Start Backup" button to run the backup.
You could try to repair system files in Windows Server 2003 using above three methods, but there is no guarantee of success. If you could not repair it successfully, your computer may crash and bring you a lot of problems like reinstalling and data loss.
Actually, backing up your system with AOMEI Backupper is an effective way to protect your computer. Furthermore, you can also use it to backup disk and specific file. Moreover, if your system is Windows Vista/XP/7/8/10, you can try another version- AOMEI Backupper Professional.