Windows 7 won’t boot normally
“After some recent critical Windows updates were installed on this Windows 7 laptop, the system started going into the Startup Repair loop. The loop continues after each restart and never finds a solution to the problem. is there any feasible way to fix Winodws 7 startup repair loop issue? I don’t want to reinstall Windows 7, which is troublesome. "
In fact, it is not rare to meet Windows 7 not booting problem and this issue can be caused by many factors like damaged system partition, corrupted system files and so on. And you might receive an error message like “Windows cannot repair this computer automatically".
What does Windows 7 Startup Repair do?
Startup Repair, one of the recovery tools, which is very helpful when your operating system won’t boot or you cannot use safe mode. It can scan your computer and fix missing or corrupted stem files that cause Windows boot failure so that you can boot your computer normally. You can use the following steps to run Startup Repair in Windows 7.
1. Insert the Windows installation media into your computer.
2. Start your Windows 7 computer and press a certain key to enter BIOS to boot from the installation media.
3. Wait for Windows 7 installation files to load. In the first Windows installation screen, click “Repair your computer”.
4. Select your operating system and click “Next”.
5. In the System Recovery Options windows, click “Startup Repair”.
Then Startup Repair will repair startup problems automatically for Windows 7. And the whole process might take a few minutes, please wait patiently.
But sometimes it does not work as expected, just as the user case above. Then, how to fix Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically in windows 7? Please read on.
How to fix Windows 7 Startup Repair Loop via Command Prompt
After you have realized possible reasons for Windows 7 not booting and error message that you can receive, it is time to get to know how to solve this problem without reinstalling.
Disable Startup Repair to prevent it endless restart
1. Restart your computer. Then, when you see the Windows log, press F8 repeatedly until you see the Advanced boot options window.
2. Choose "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press "Enter".
Fix Windows 7 Startup Repair loop via CHKDSK Command Prompt
After disabling Startup Repair in the Advanced boot options, you can continue to fix Windows Startup Repair using Command Prompt CHKDSK. It will scan the integrity of the file system errors or bad sectors and fix it finds.
1. Select Repair your computer in the Advanced boot options window and hit Enter.
2. Then, you will see the System Recovery Options window, click “Command Prompt” and type “chkdsk C: /f/r” . Press the “Enter” key after that.
3. After the process finishes, you can exit from Command Prompt and check whether you can boot Windows 7 computer normally.
Fix Windows 7 Startup Repair loop via Bootrec
1. Go to Command Prompt again using Advanced boot options.
2. In the Command Prompt window, type the following commands and hit "Enter" to repair boot sectors or MBR.
- bootrec /fixmbr
- bootrec /fixboot
- bootrec /scannos
- bootrec /rebuildbcd
PS: You can learn more about Bootrec commands.
Why not create a system image before Windows 7 not booting?
You definitely don't want to see the Windows 7 Startup Repair loop error when your computer behave abnormally, you just want to make it run as usually. However, sometimes, things may beomes really troublesome, then you need to fix this error first.
If you don't want to experience this again, creating a system image with a free backup software will be a great choice. With it, you can easily restore your computer to an earlier date and let it work properly, even system crash or hard disk corrupted. Then, which software should you use? You could consider using AOMEI Backupper Standard. Below are advantages of it.
- Schedule Backup: It allows you to backup system on a regular basis, including Daily, Weekly, Monthly. And more precisely, you can set backup date, time and intervals for your task.&
- Backup Method: By default, it will backup only changed files with Incremental Backup, thereby greatly saving backup time and disk space.
- Different system support: You can use it on all the Windows system, Windows 7/8/10/11, XP and Vista, both 32 bit and 64 bit.
- Multiple backup storage: You can backup system to USB flash drive, external hard drive, network drive, NAS, etc.
Then, backup system with the following steps.
1. Free download AOMEI Backupper Standard. Install and run it.
2. In the main interface, click “System Backup” under “Backup” tab. You are also allowed to backup disk or files if you want.
3. In this window, you can choose destination path to save your backup.
PS: AOMEI Backupper will select system partition and other system-related partition automatically and you don’t need to manfully select partition to backup.
4. In the Operation Summary window, set backup settings if necessary and click “Start Backup” to perform this operation.
- You can click “Backup options” to adjust compression level, image splitting and encrypt backup.
- Or click “Schedule Backup” and select Daily, Weekly, Monthly, depending on how often you want it to happen.
- Besides, you still can set Incremental or Differential Backup to backup only changes instead of a full system and delete old backup images automatically in the "Backup Scheme".
After this operation, you can create a bootable media using AOMEI Backupper, thus you can boot your computer from the bootable media to restore system when you fail to boot Windows.
Although you can use CHKDSK Command Prompt to fix Windows 7 Startup Repair loop error, it's annoying to it when your computer does not working properly. If you don't want to encounter this problem or similar one, for example, DISM error 87, you can choose to create a system image and save it to a safe place with free backup software like AOMEI Backupper Standard.
And you can easily make it run automatically with its Schedule Backup feature. Also, you can enjoy other useful features, such as, compress backup image, incremental backup, and more in the advanced version, such as, differential backup, backup scheme, etc. Besides, you can directly clone system or disk for OS migration. Just try it and protect your computer continuously!