What is DISM tool?
DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing Management), preinstalled on Windows 8.1/10/11, is commonly used to repair and prepare Windows images on Windows Recovery Environment, Windows Setup, Windows PE.
As a system management tool, it can resolve corrupted system files even when SFC SCANNOW not working. But sometimes you may also receive DISM error 87, saying the parameter is incorrect. Why is DISM not working? How to fix it? I will explore these questions in the following article.
Why do you receive DISM error in Windows 10?
DISM error 87: the parameter is incorrect could be the result of typing the wrong command when using DISM /CheckHealth or DISM /ScanHealth. Thus, the first thing to check is whether you entered the commands correctly.
If the command you use is confirmed to be correct, then you can consider the following causes:
1. Windows 10 Update error. After DISM finds corrupted images or files, it will use Windows 10 Update to download the necessary files. If Windows Update failed, the process will be interrupted.
2. Attempting to copy a file over 48GB from one partition to another partition using DISM /AddPackage.
3. A required service does not start, e.g. you cannot connect to a network.
How to fix DISM error 87 the parameter is incorrect
In this part, I’ll show you how to fix error 87 in Windows 10 with 5 effective methods. Before that, please be sure you are currently using the Windows 10 version of DISM, which requires the Wofadk.sys filter driver. For more info, see DISM supported platform.
Method 1: Use DISM command-line correctly
Users often forget to add a space before the slash and type the command like below.
To type the command correctly, you need to add a space before the slash.
Note: Remember to run cmd as administrator, and this may be one of the reasons for DISM error 87.
Method 2: Revert Windows Update and clear Component Store
Windows Update can be a cause for DISM error 87. To fix this issue, you can restore Windows Update to a previous good state and clean up the component store. It supports Windows Updates, installations and configurations.
Step 1. Type cmd in the search box and run as administrator.
Step 2. Type the following command to revert Windows Update and hit Enter. Then, restart your computer and save these changes.
Step 3. Type the command below and hit Enter. After that, restart your computer and make these changes available.
Now, the component store and potential corrupted files may be cleaned up. You can try to run DISM again on Windows 10.
Method 3: Run SFC /SCANNOW tool
SFC /SCANNOW can also fix the corrupted files. You can try it first and run DISM again.
Step 1. Run cmd as administrator.
Step 2. Type sfc /scannow in the command prompt window and hit Enter.
Step 3. Run DISM again.
Method 4: Run CHKDSK tool
Some users report the CHKDSK can solve DISM error 87 in Windows 10. Try it if you have no idea.
Step 1. Run cmd as administrator.
Step 2. Type chkdsk C: /r in the command prompt window and press Enter. Type Y if you are asked to run at the next time you start your computer.
Step 3. Run DISM again and check if this issue disappears.
Method 5: Run System Restore
In most cases, System Restore can be the last one you can try. It can solve DISM error 87: the parameter is incorrect but you need to reinstall certain software.
Step 1. Type system restore in the search box and select it.
Step 2. On the first screen, you are told that the recently installed programs will be removed. If you want to continue this operation, click Next.
Step 3. Select the restore point in the list and click Next.
Step 4. Click Finish to start the restore process.
How to easily prevent DISM error 87 in Windows 10 from happening again
You definitely don't want to see the DISM error 87 when you repair or prepare a Windows image, because you have high hopes for it to make your computer properly. But you have no choice but to fix this error when it occurs. What if you cannot fix it?
The official way is to reinstall Windows 10 using an installation disc provided by Microsoft, which only leaves you a fresh version of system and you need to reinstall programs. If you don't backup files to external hard drive or other storage devices, you will lose them finally. And this is exactly the situation that users try to avoid. Here a system image does help a lot if you have one.
It will be OK if you don't have one, but you have to create a system image in Windows 10 immediately with free backup software like AOMEI Backupper.
- It makes an exact copy of your system partition, whether the operating system, installed programs or saved data, so you don't need to worry about data loss no matter what happens.
- You can save the system image to internal or external drive, USB flash drive, NAS, cloud service, etc.
- It supports daily, weekly, monthly automatic backup as well as full or incremental backup, so you can backup system and any changes made later with the least backup time and space.
- It's capable of creating bootable disc (CD/DVD or USB) to boot your computer when it fails.
Then, you may want to have a try! Please download this software and follow the steps below.
Step 1. Launch this free backup software. Then, click Backup and System Backup in order.
Step 2. Select a location to store your backup image. If you want to save it to USB, you need to insert the disk into your computer first.
💡 Helpful tips:
- Options: you are able to comment on a task, set email notification, or compression level, etc.
- Schedule Backup: it is necessary for you to continuously protect system and data on it. You have 5 options, namely, Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event trigger, USB plug in. The latter two options are available on the professional version.
- Backup Scheme: you can set Full/Incremental/Differential Backup or cleanup methods (By quantity, By time, By daily/weekly/monthly). Differential backup and auto backup cleanup are only available on the advanced versions.
Step 3. Click Start Backup to run the pending operation.
The system image should be created when your computer behaves normally. If your computer is already having problems, the backup image created cannot be used for DISM error 87 or other serious errors making your computer unbootable.
In this case, you can choose to create system image and bootable media on another working PC, and then use them on the problematic PC for dissimilar hardware restore. You need to use the Universal Restore feature (advanced version) to ensure secure boot after restoration.
It's annoying to receive the DISM error 87: the parameter is incorrect when you repair or prepare Windows image. You may fix this error now and then use DISM as normal. Another wise choice is to create a system image directly with free backup software (a scheduled one is preferable), then you can use it to recover your computer in the event of a disaster.
And it's still a disk clone software for Windows computers to directly transfer system image to new hard drive and boot your computer from it without the restoration process. Besides, it supports creating portable version (available on the Technician or TechPlus edition) of this software on a removable device and you can use it on any computer without installing. Wanna have a try?