Overview of Windows 10 upgrade stuck
When it comes to Windows 10 upgrade stuck error, you may only think about upgrading Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 with Upgrade Assistant. However, you still need to upgrade drivers, service packs on Windows 10 with Windows Update. Thus, there are 3 situations you will receive this error.
Situation 1: Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant stuck
During the downloading and installing process, you may find it suddenly stuck with error code, such as, 0, 3, 35, 48, 81, 99, etc. Besides, you may receive error message like “Windows 10 upgrade stuck at checking for updates”, “ Windows 10 upgrade stuck on checking your PC”, “Windows update stuck installing”, “Windows 10 update stuck restarting” and so on. And this situation may last for hours.
Situation 2: Windows 10 update progress bar is stuck
The Windows Update will automatically download the latest available updates for your computer. But you may find Windows Update stuck downloading updates and get stuck at some point.
Situation 3: Windows 10 Update stuck in blue screen
After the Windows Update downloads updates, Windows will install the ones it can, and save others to install when you restart your computer. During the process, you will access a blue screen and Windows 10 upgrade gets stuck at a certain point with a prompt like “Keep your PC on until this is done. Installing update 4 of 7…”
Is Windows update really stuck?
By default, if you use a SSD on the computer, the update should take between 10 and 30 minutes. If your computer is instlled on HDD, the update process will take longer, may be 90 minitues, or 24 hours.
If the process takes too long, your update may be stuck. Don't wait forever and take some measures to fix the update issue. Why is Windows Update stuck at 99 or 0? There are many reasons, such as, outdate, corrupted, or missing drivers, Windows 7 pending update, hardware issues etc.
To fix the upgrade stuck issue, you can try the built-in troubleshoot tool or other methods in the following. Just use the one suitable for you. Besides, you still need to create a system backup after this issue fixed.
How to fix Windows 10 upgrade stuck effectively?
For Windows 10 update stuck error, I’ll offer you 7 common ways and you can choose the one that fits your situation most. The solutions below are mainly aimed to Windows 10 upgrade stuck at 0/99.
#1: Fix Windows 10 Update stuck at 99% by updating missing drivers
The missing drivers may be one of the reasons to Windows 10 upgrade stuck. Before upgrading, you need to check and reinstall the missing drivers with the following steps:
1. Press Win + R to summon the Run window, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
2. Find the missing drivers. You can expand the categories and see if there is a yellow mark. In general, an exclamation mark will come with it.
3. Download the driver from your PC manufacturer’s website and reinstall the missing drivers on your computer.
#2: Fix Winows 10 update stuck issue via updating Windows 7 pending updates
The pending updates are the main reasons for Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant stuck at 99% or 0%. You need to update using the steps below:
1. Type windows update in the search box and select it.
2. Click Check for updates under Windows Update.
3. Just wait until you see the available updates and update it.
4. Try to upgrade to Windows 10 and see if it works.
#3: Fix Windows upgrade stuck at 99 by $GetCurrent folder
This method is borrowed from Microsoft. And it’s said that this method is very useful for this issue. You can try to fix "Windows 10 upgrade sruck at 99" using the following steps:
1. Restart your computer.
2. Go to the system drive, click Tools > Folder Options > View and tick Show hidden files, folders, or drives.
3. Access $GetCurrent folder and name the second folder as media. In this folder, you still can see a regular Windows installation package. It’s Windows 10 creators update edition.
4. Install Windows 10 creators update edition as normal.
#4: Fix Windows 10 update stuck at 99 by a batch file
To fix update issue, use the steps below:
1. Open notepad.
2. Type the following text and save as fix.bat (the file extension must be .bat) on the desktop.
3. Right-click the file and run as administrator.
4. Restart your computer and try Windows Update again.
#5: Upgrade to Windows with media creation tool
Media creation tool will create a setup file for Windows 10 and assist you reinstalling Windows 10. Details to upgrade Windows:
1. Download Windows 10 Media Creation tool on your system and install it.
2. Follow instructions on this tool until you see Windows 10 setup screen. In this window, you should tick Upgrade this PC now and then click Next.
3. After finishing the downloading, click Accept and make sure Keep personal files and application option is selected. If not, you can click Change what to keep and change the settings.
4. Click Install to start Windows 10 update.
#6 Fix the upgrade stuck issue using troubleshooter
Windows 10 includes a built-in troubleshooter, which can stop the Windows Update Services, clear Update cache (rename the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old) and restart the Windows Update Services. With the help of it, you can fix Windows 10 update stuck at 99 or 0.
Detailed steps to fix upgrade issues:
1. Type troubleshooting in the search box and select it from the list.
2. Click Fix problems with Windows Update.
3. Click Advanced and tick Apply repairs automatically.
4. Click Next to start the repair process.
#7: Clear Update cache manually in Safe Mode
To clear update cache, use the steps below:
1. Boot into safe mode. You can hold down the Shift key as you click Power and Restart in Windows 10. And then navigate to Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Windows Startup Settings > Restart > Safe Mode.
2. Stop Windows Update Service via CMD. You can press Windows + X, select Command Prompt (Admin) from the list and type commands below in the pop-up window.
net stop wuauserv
net stop bits
3. Empty SoftwareDistribution folder. You can navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution in File Explore and empty this folder.
Note: There is nothing important here. And Windows Update will recreate what it needs at the next time you run it.
4. Restart Windows Update Service. You can type the following commands in the command prompt and press Enter after each one.
net start wuauserv
net start bits
5. Restart your computer and run Windows Update again.
In addition, you still can try to restore from a system restore point or directly reinstall Windows. If you do not have CD or DVD, you can reinstall Windows 10 without CD.
What to do after Windows 10 Upgrade stuck issue fixed?
Try above methods and find the one works for you. To avoid meeting the same problem again, you still need to create a system image with free backup software like AOMEI Backupper Standard. It contains the operating system and all files related to your system. Thus, no matter what happens, you still can recover your computer.
With AOMEI Backupper Standard, you can backup the system image to external hard drive or other storage devices. When the update issue occurs again, you can restore system image from external hard drive and then all things become normal.
Then, backup system after fixing Windows 10 upgrade stuck issue, using the following steps:
1. Download AOMEI Backupper, and open it.
2. Click Backup and System Backup. To create a disk backup, just click Disk Backup as shown in the following picture.
3. Select a path for your backup. If you want to save it to external hard drive, you need to plug it into the computer before you start to create system image backup.
4. Set up settings if needed. Click Options, Schedule, Scheme in the bottom and select the settings you like.
You can enable email notification to get to know if your backup is created successfully. You can compress the backup image if you want to backup large files.
You can schedule an automatic backup in Windows 10 at a fixed interval, including Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Event-trigger, USB plug in, etc.
In addition, you still can delete old backup and get more free space. But this feature is only available on the paid version. You need to upgrade to AOMEI Backupper Professional if you still use the free version.
5. Click Start Backup to move on.
Reading here, you may already fix the Windows 10 upgrade stuck issue. Please remember to create a system image or disk image for your computer. Only in this way, your computer can always be safe and sound. And you files can keep intact.